The Student Room Group

Should I take A Level maths or Core Maths?

I got my GCSE Results today, and got an A in maths. I really enjoy maths, however I am not sure that I would cope with the difficulty of A Level Maths. Core maths is a new subject for this year, and teaches more applied maths (such as mortgages and loans - things which would link into business which I am taking) however I don't know if I would enjoy it as much. I am not as worried about the difficulty of core maths as I had a taster lesson and was fine with it, however I am aware that A Level maths is extremely difficult !!!
A level maths is SO much more credible, I felt little increased difficulty in the first year AS but I've heard it gets harder in the second year. Maybe you should take A level maths but intend to drop that subject after AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by HL99
I got my GCSE Results today, and got an A in maths. I really enjoy maths, however I am not sure that I would cope with the difficulty of A Level Maths. Core maths is a new subject for this year, and teaches more applied maths (such as mortgages and loans - things which would link into business which I am taking) however I don't know if I would enjoy it as much. I am not as worried about the difficulty of core maths as I had a taster lesson and was fine with it, however I am aware that A Level maths is extremely difficult !!!

Lol maths isn't even that hard, especially the C1 and C2 modules are really easy at AS. Plus maths A level is so much more respected and gives you so many options that anyone will literally recommend you taking it
Original post by RonnieRJ
Lol maths isn't even that hard, especially the C1 and C2 modules are really easy at AS. Plus maths A level is so much more respected and gives you so many options that anyone will literally recommend you taking it

This. C1 is just literally just IGCSE plus 2 extra topics. C2 isn't much harder either, as it introduces newer concepts the questions are on a basic level.
Reply 4
The key issue is the value of the currency that A-level holds. If you got an A at GCSE then you are capable of doing A-level. In a years time, your UCAS form will look much better with a grade for AS maths than a grade for a new course such as Core Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest