The Student Room Group

Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course (SKE) ANYONE DONE ONE?

Hi all,

I am wanting to get into teaching D & T at secondary however, my first degree is not in a related subject which means I will probably have to do a SKE course prior to my PGCE.

I just wondered if anyone else has done one as the information on the uni websites are very limited and they have not responded to my enquiries!!

How many hours a week is it?
What does it entail?
When can I apply as I wouldnt want to put off my PGCE for another year?
Do you get funding for the D & T one?

many thanks

xx

Scroll to see replies

There are very few SKEs for Design and Technology. You apply for a PGCE and they will tell you if they require you to take the SKE or not. You cannot apply directly in advance as you have to hold an offer of a PGCE place and then be referred.

The only full time provider I know of is Sunderland and they offer a 36 week course from September to June. The other providers offer part-time or short courses, for example Roehampton offers 2 days per month for 5 months or Manchester offers a 25 day block from August to September.
Look on the TDA website for information on DT courses. I don't think there are many to be honest. What is your original degree in? Does it have any related aspects to DT? You may be able to do a shorter course in DT if it is.

Mr M knows a lot about that - you apply to do the DT PGCE, and the provider direct you to the nearest course provider (or you can apply to one yourself). So you can try apply now if there are places available, or you would have to wait until September, and not start your SKE til the following September, and then the PGCE the year after that! I'm not sure how the funding works for a DT SKE, or what it entails, but I can tell you what I've been told about my Maths SKE if it helps?

It covers A-Level, GCSE and some more Advanced Maths to ensure you can teach to a high standard (and ensure you fully understand Maths). We get funded - no tuition fee loan to pay (paid by TDA) and a £800 bursary a month (roughly, but we don't get a Maintenance loan). The Maths course I'm on is also Monday-Thursday with Fridays free and expected days of 10-4pm but might be longer.
linkdapink
Look on the TDA website for information on DT courses. I don't think there are many to be honest. What is your original degree in? Does it have any related aspects to DT? You may be able to do a shorter course in DT if it is.

Mr M knows a lot about that - you apply to do the DT PGCE, and the provider direct you to the nearest course provider (or you can apply to one yourself). So you can try apply now if there are places available, or you would have to wait until September, and not start your SKE til the following September, and then the PGCE the year after that! I'm not sure how the funding works for a DT SKE, or what it entails, but I can tell you what I've been told about my Maths SKE if it helps?

It covers A-Level, GCSE and some more Advanced Maths to ensure you can teach to a high standard (and ensure you fully understand Maths). We get funded - no tuition fee loan to pay (paid by TDA) and a £800 bursary a month (roughly, but we don't get a Maintenance loan). The Maths course I'm on is also Monday-Thursday with Fridays free and expected days of 10-4pm but might be longer.

My degree is criminology so not related at all! I do have GCSE's and A Levels in both Art and Textiles though.
I may have a look around and see if there are any shorter courses for me as full time and with poss no bursary then a further year with a reduced income would be very difficult for me.

something like that 25 day course would be ideal but i guess i need to apply for PGCE first.

Have u started ur maths SKE yet?
Princesslittlehead
My degree is criminology so not related at all! I do have GCSE's and A Levels in both Art and Textiles though.
I may have a look around and see if there are any shorter courses for me as full time and with poss no bursary then a further year with a reduced income would be very difficult for me.

something like that 25 day course would be ideal but i guess i need to apply for PGCE first.

Have u started ur maths SKE yet?

Start it in September, doing it full time for a year. I've done A-Levels, but like you, done something totally unrelated. You might have to do a full year course :frown: but I'm sure you'll get a bursary for that!
Reply 5
I've just finished a Chemistry SKE, it was fun! I got paid £800 per month, was at uni full time (about 20 hours, 3-4 days a week) but I'm not sure they do year long D&T courses, more likely 2-3 weeks over the summer before the PGCE starts? We were taught the whole Chemistry syllabus up to A Level and a lot of Physics too.

I think unis (that offer SKE) will give you a place on an SKE if you are a good candidate for the PGCE but need more subject knowledge.

This website is quite helpful: http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingprocess/pretrainingcourses/skecourses.aspx
lauh88
I've just finished a Chemistry SKE, it was fun! I got paid £800 per month, was at uni full time (about 20 hours, 3-4 days a week) but I'm not sure they do year long D&T courses, more likely 2-3 weeks over the summer before the PGCE starts? We were taught the whole Chemistry syllabus up to A Level and a lot of Physics too.

I think unis (that offer SKE) will give you a place on an SKE if you are a good candidate for the PGCE but need more subject knowledge.

This website is quite helpful: http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingprocess/pretrainingcourses/skecourses.aspx

Did you do a full year-long course? Sorry, I'm just super interested since I'm about to do my Maths one! Was it really intense? And where did you do it?
Reply 7
linkdapink
Did you do a full year-long course? Sorry, I'm just super interested since I'm about to do my Maths one! Was it really intense? And where did you do it?

Hi, I did a year at JMU (Mid Sept 09 to end of May 10). It wasn't too bad, I learnt a lot but it wasn't overwhelming. Since I did Chemistry there were loads of practicals and stuff. I have a LOT of notes that I'm going to have to go over before I start my PGCE in Sept!

Our tutors weren't really supposed to give us any teaching advice (since the course is purely about improving subject knowledge) but they were really useful and gave loads of tips!

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! If anything you'll at least get to know the people who'll be doing their PGCEs at the same time as you :smile:
Reply 8
Hi, I'm about to embark on my SKE in D&T in september, The TDA offer a bursary for this of £5400 over 10 months and will also pay your fees. It is a 1 year full time course at Sheffield.

They recently changed the title of this course, when I originally applied it was called PGCE Design and Technology 2yr route - because of this I applied for student finance and have been offered it. However I've now found out that with SKE bursary your not supposed to apply for the student loans. Does anyone know if I will still be able to claim it or if they are just gonna sat no when I enrol?

It's all a bit of a pain as I deferred so I could claim both and now they've changed the rules!
schowarth
Hi, I'm about to embark on my SKE in D&T in september, The TDA offer a bursary for this of £5400 over 10 months and will also pay your fees. It is a 1 year full time course at Sheffield.

They recently changed the title of this course, when I originally applied it was called PGCE Design and Technology 2yr route - because of this I applied for student finance and have been offered it. However I've now found out that with SKE bursary your not supposed to apply for the student loans. Does anyone know if I will still be able to claim it or if they are just gonna sat no when I enrol?

It's all a bit of a pain as I deferred so I could claim both and now they've changed the rules!

I emailed Sunderland University about the SKE D & T and they advised that I would get around £600 per month for the duration of the course so I would have thought that you would still get your bursary :smile:
schowarth

May I ask you... are you doing your PGCE place at Sheffield too? Or is it at Hallam? And how you applied for this? I'm having a bit of a nightmare applying for the SKE in Maths at Hallam... they just haven't got back to me at all, and I'm trying to find someone who has had a similar experience with this!
Reply 11
Hi

Because when i applied for the course it was titled a PGCE in design and technology 2yr route I simply applied in the normal way. Now they have changed it I think as long as you have a place on a PGCE course that you can apply directly.

it's all a bit confusing to be honest!!! They've changed the rules in the last year!!!

I'm doing all of it at sheffield hallam uni.

Fingers crossed I get to receive my loan funding as well :smile:

If you've got a place on your PGCE course as long as there is space oin SKE you shouldn't have any probs as far as i can tell. :confused:
schowarth
Hi

Because when i applied for the course it was titled a PGCE in design and technology 2yr route I simply applied in the normal way. Now they have changed it I think as long as you have a place on a PGCE course that you can apply directly.

it's all a bit confusing to be honest!!! They've changed the rules in the last year!!!

I'm doing all of it at sheffield hallam uni.

Fingers crossed I get to receive my loan funding as well :smile:

If you've got a place on your PGCE course as long as there is space oin SKE you shouldn't have any probs as far as i can tell. :confused:

Hey, just had my SKE interview the other day at Hallam, and got in no problem, so thanks :smile:

I've not heard anything from them since the interview (not suprisingly since their last interviews were today), but start in 3 weeks! It's all come about too fast!
Reply 13
Hey,

I did a Maths SKE (only a 6 month one) at Hull University, and am starting the PGCE in September. We got paid £400 every 2 weeks straight into our bank accounts, and the fees were paid. Because I was doing the 6 month course we weren't allowed to apply to student finance, but I believe those who did the year long SKE course did apply to student finance, but student finance weren't really sure what they were doing (big surprise!) as the year long SKE is relatively new and is now seen as a 2-year-PGCE. Hopefully they might know what's going on a bit better this year!

We were in Uni 2 full days and 2 half days during the week, although I can't guarantee this is the same at other Universities.

If you want any more details about the Maths SKE just post a list of questions and I'd be happy to answer :smile:
Reply 14
Hey,

this thread is literally worth it's weight in gold, in terms of information and help!

I am about to start my last year of my joint hons degree in musical theatre and technical theatre and I want to go on to teach textiles at secondary schools. I am guessing that I'll have to complete one of these SKE courses?
I am married and settled in Cumbria, which is where I am HOPING to do a PGCE but I can't find any SKE courses around me at all! Does this mean we would have to move and I would have to hold of a PGCE for a year? Or could i be funded to do a short course elsewhere that helps pay for temp accomadation? So many questions but I realy want to make sure I do things in the right order!

Thanks in advance.
Original post by AJVMiller
Hey,

this thread is literally worth it's weight in gold, in terms of information and help!

I am about to start my last year of my joint hons degree in musical theatre and technical theatre and I want to go on to teach textiles at secondary schools. I am guessing that I'll have to complete one of these SKE courses?
I am married and settled in Cumbria, which is where I am HOPING to do a PGCE but I can't find any SKE courses around me at all! Does this mean we would have to move and I would have to hold of a PGCE for a year? Or could i be funded to do a short course elsewhere that helps pay for temp accomadation? So many questions but I realy want to make sure I do things in the right order!

Thanks in advance.

No school is likely to employ you just to teach textiles - even if there is a class in Year 10 and Year 11 and a couple of projects at KS3, you are still going to need to teach something else the rest of the time. Why don't you train to teach Drama/Musical Theatre and then, once you get a job, make the Technology Department aware of your interest in textiles?
Reply 16
Hi, I know you posted about your SKE sometime ago, but I am about to start on one that sounds quite similar. I was wondering how many more hours you did outside the university timetable. I have small children and wondering what kind/how much childcare I need to arrange? thanks,
Hi Lindapink - I see you wrote on here 5 years ago! I'm hoping you might be able to help me.

I have been offered long SKE leading to PGCE Maths at both Sheffield Hallam and Hull Universities.

I find out that the Sheffield Hallam is pitched at first year degree level, as opposed to GCSE and A-Level at Hull. I don't have an A-Level in Maths (just A-grade GCSE ), although I did some in my Applied Sciences degree many years ago.

I was wondering if there were many who completed the SKE in your year and who did not possess an A-level? How did they cope with the course? Did they miss out in not having a good knowledge of the A-level syllabus or maybe they gained in other ways? I'm attracted to the Sheffield Hallam course but want to be sure I have a good chance of passing it!

Also how intense is the Sheffield Hallam SKE (assuming it hasn't changed so much)?. It appears a much greater commitment than the one at Hull which is two full days and two half days per week and would allow me to do a day of cover teaching - thus extra income while studying. Not that intensity is necessarily a negative.
Hi Edwardthe12th, Not sure if this is too late for you, but ive just completed my ske 36 in secondary mathematics at Sheffield Hallam and im continuing on with my PGCE this year.

The SKE at hallam, is quite intense... I came to the course with an A Level in Use of Maths, which is applied and doesn't cover most of the straight A level topics, and i wont lie... I struggled for the first few weeks, however the support from tutors is great, as they are willing to put the time in as long as you are.

If it follows the same format as this year, it will be four days in university, 1 day to do placement, so you could still do cover work for a day. However be careful, as if you've applied for the bursary at SHU, it states you cannot take part in paid teaching while receiving the bursary.

The course gives you a good grounding on most mathematics, and gets you into the mind frame of how to learn, there are tasks which are specifically meant to make you struggle, which i think is a good idea as this allows you to understand how students might feel. However there is always support to overcome this struggle.

Overall I think the course at sheffield hallam is good, if intense ( however this tappers out towards the end of the year ( less university hours, but more work from home).
Original post by Thatlostone
Hi Edwardthe12th, Not sure if this is too late for you, but ive just completed my ske 36 in secondary mathematics at Sheffield Hallam and im continuing on with my PGCE this year.

The SKE at hallam, is quite intense... I came to the course with an A Level in Use of Maths, which is applied and doesn't cover most of the straight A level topics, and i wont lie... I struggled for the first few weeks, however the support from tutors is great, as they are willing to put the time in as long as you are.

If it follows the same format as this year, it will be four days in university, 1 day to do placement, so you could still do cover work for a day. However be careful, as if you've applied for the bursary at SHU, it states you cannot take part in paid teaching while receiving the bursary.

The course gives you a good grounding on most mathematics, and gets you into the mind frame of how to learn, there are tasks which are specifically meant to make you struggle, which i think is a good idea as this allows you to understand how students might feel. However there is always support to overcome this struggle.

Overall I think the course at sheffield hallam is good, if intense ( however this tappers out towards the end of the year ( less university hours, but more work from home).

Hi,

Did you struggle with it? So would you recommend someone who hasn't done A level maths but with a good GCSE grade in it and with some background in Statistics (A-level Psychology) although not in my degree subject to apply for Sheffield Hallam and Hull?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending