The Student Room Group

Upper Back Pain

Recently my upper back is starting to pain,during this holiday I've been doing alot of sitting down,playing games etc but for the past four days i've started to feel upper back pain around 4 in the afternoon? it goes away when i goto sleep and wake up.I've never experienced this before and its only on my left side around my Trapezius muscle i think.Any tips or exercises? Tempted to go GP or try a cold compress.
Original post by scrawlx101
Recently my upper back is starting to pain,during this holiday I've been doing alot of sitting down,playing games etc but for the past four days i've started to feel upper back pain around 4 in the afternoon? it goes away when i goto sleep and wake up.I've never experienced this before and its only on my left side around my Trapezius muscle i think.Any tips or exercises? Tempted to go GP or try a cold compress.

Possibly poor posture. Try not sitting down,playing games etc and see if it goes away.

Hi :smile:

Okay, as the user above me said, that could be down to poor posture, or many other things.

Firstly, if it's a muscle I would use heat (I do use heat) you can try cold but for some reason my physio recommended heat, and it eases the pain for anything from 10 minutes to a whole evening.
Also, when you sit, put a cushion on your lower back, that way your shoulders naturally straighten up more and that might ease your trapezius pain.

As for exercises, I do one where you kneel on the floor, stretching your arms out infront of you and leaning forward to touch the floor as much as possible. I occasionally get shoulder pain and that seems to work for me. I also do one where you push the arm of the shoulder in pain against a door frame or wall, push, and hold it for 10 seconds.

Shoulder pain shouldn't last that long, but if it's any longer than a month I would go to your GP. They will tell you to wait 2 weeks, and if it still hurts then they might refer you for physio or give you heat packs.

Apart from that, just use heat when you can, and keep your posture good (do shoulder stretches if you need to)

Hope this helps :smile:
Mo
For 6 months, I've had a similar problem. I faced Upper and middle back pain from the base of my neck to the bottom of the rib cage. Then one of my friends suggested me to do some simple yoga and took some pain relief pills. Now, I am completely well.
Reply 4

the pain is where my latissimus and trapezius intersect ish...i think its due to poor posture? how can i improve it? i have trouble sitting up straight at church sometimes since the wooden bench makes my behind feel uncomfortable...
Reply 5
Posture is about practice. Use a mirror to get a feel for good posture then just keep trying to remember to do it, it eventually sticks.

Bad posture causes knots/tightness which you'll also need to get rid of by stretching and foam rolling
Original post by GregoryWood
For 6 months, I've had a similar problem. I faced Upper and middle back pain from the base of my neck to the bottom of the rib cage. Then one of my friends suggested me to do some simple yoga and took some pain relief pills. Now, I am completely well.

What yoga stretches did you do?
Reply 7
Original post by BKS
Posture is about practice. Use a mirror to get a feel for good posture then just keep trying to remember to do it, it eventually sticks.

Bad posture causes knots/tightness which you'll also need to get rid of by stretching and

foam rolling?
Reply 8
foam rolling?

Foam rolling
Reply 9
Original post by GregoryWood

what did you do?
any yoga stretches you guys reccomend?

Quick Reply

Latest