The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why did you decide to reapply to Oxford if you already have an offer from Cambridge?
Oh dear... Best of luck with the remarks!
Original post by KombatWombat
They definitely won't flat out reject you, I promise! Make sure your UMS gets mentioned, that'll allay any worries your tutors might've had about your maths. To be honest, I think it'll have a very small impact anyway - PAT and interview are much more important, and your GCSEs and AS are otherwise really good.

Yep, I'm definitely looking to get my UMS mentioned as they were 90%+ for every subject (not good enough for Cambridge but good enough to mention, I'd reckon). Thanks but it's definitely a concern - at GCSE I made loads of silly mistakes and the topics covered were so broad which is why I did better at AS where the modules were very focused and easy to revise (and although the content was more difficult, this was good for me as I made fewer mindless errors like messing up on a highest common factor question at GCSE!!!)
Would Oxford mind re-sits? Because i didn't do as well in Latin and German as i expected >-<
Original post by AspirantPPE
Good luck, I'm applying too. What A levels are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks (': Maths, History, Economics and Further Maths (retaking S2 in further to get the A at AS but dropping it anyway). Wbu?

And how's the personal statement/tsa prep coming along?
Original post by WinterApproaches
Thanks (': Maths, History, Economics and Further Maths (retaking S2 in further to get the A at AS but dropping it anyway). Wbu?

And how's the personal statement/tsa prep coming along?

Maths, History and English, but might also do further maths. Do you think it'll help when we get to uni? I'm also doing an evening course at Edinburgh uni, since Ill need a reference, it's been a while since I was at school.

I've already done a little personal statement, but it will need a lot of work to be Oxford Worthy! Tsa, not looked yet, waiting on my books coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any other potential medics?!

My GCSEs aren't bad, UMS much lower than hoped for so my predicted grades will be A*AAA I believe!
Hey guys, I'm asking on behalf of my brother who wants to do Economics and is thinking about Oxbridge. I am familiar with Cambridge application process but not with Oxford's. He got his GCSE results today which were 12A*s and 2As (he's remarking the 2As :tongue:) and I was wondering if these results would be good enough for Economics?
Original post by aprocrastinator
Hey guys, I'm asking on behalf of my brother who wants to do Economics and is thinking about Oxbridge. I am familiar with Cambridge application process but not with Oxford's. He got his GCSE results today which were 12A*s and 2As (he's remarking the 2As :tongue:) and I was wondering if these results would be good enough for Economics?

Considering the other people here who have asked the same question and got a 'Yes' with lower grades, I think it's safe to assume that Yes, it's more than sufficient! From what I can gather, more weight is put on the interview and exams :smile:
Original post by aprocrastinator

These are definitely good enough results to apply - with good AS results for Cambridge or a strong TSA for Oxford he should have a good chance :smile:
Original post by AspirantPPE
Maths, History and English, but might also do further maths. Do you think it'll help when we get to uni? I'm also doing an evening course at Edinburgh uni, since Ill need a reference, it's been a while since I was at school.

I've already done a little personal statement, but it will need a lot of work to be Oxford Worthy! Tsa, not looked yet, waiting on my books coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really doubt it, given that people who haven't studied A level maths are admitted onto the course. Ahh that sounds nice, are you a mature applicant? And same here, need to finish reading on the books- just annoyed at how my tsa scores can vary so wildly, from 74 in one to 58 in another.
Hi!
GCSE: 10A* and an A (top scholar at my school)
AS Level: AAAA (maths, chemistry, physics, DT)

Just finished a Nuffield research placement and hope to get a gold CREST award for this. Also taught myself one of those GCSE's (and it wasn't the A).

My school are likely to predict me A*A*A*A*. (I'm keeping all four subjects)
I'm applying for Materials Science at St Annes.
I'm now trying to revise for the PAT. These sort of tests often aren't my strong point and my maths education this year has been awful so I'm kind of struggling.
With all my other stuff and hopefully a strong performance in interview how much leeway do people think I have to do slightly worse in the PAT test than the other sections of my application??
Also, any hints and tips for the PAT test?

Thank you!
Original post by Orangemonkey1
Hi!
GCSE: 10A* and an A (top scholar at my school)
AS Level: AAAA (maths, chemistry, physics, DT)

Just finished a Nuffield research placement and hope to get a gold CREST award for this. Also taught myself one of those GCSE's (and it wasn't the A).

My school are likely to predict me A*A*A*A*. (I'm keeping all four subjects)
I'm applying for Materials Science at St Annes.
I'm now trying to revise for the PAT. These sort of tests often aren't my strong point and my maths education this year has been awful so I'm kind of struggling.
With all my other stuff and hopefully a strong performance in interview how much leeway do people think I have to do slightly worse in the PAT test than the other sections of my application??
Also, any hints and tips for the PAT test?

Thank you!

I'll be doing physics so I can't really comment on materials science applications but I did the PAT last year so if you want any more help feel free to ask!

If your maths education is a problem then this needs to be submitted to them somehow or it won't be taken into account (I'm not sure if there's a specific way to inform them of this or if your teachers should have it put in your reference or what), otherwise unfortunately you'll just have to try and work past it. There's a page on matsci admissions here if you haven't already seen it which might have some useful information.

Tips for the PAT:

Check the syllabus (it's a vague list of topics really but the only starting point you have). If there's topics you haven't done (and there probably will be because it doesn't quite match up with AS physics), self study them asap and then talk to your teachers about any problems. As you go along, make sure you've learnt and understood both everything on this list and anything that's come up on a past paper that you didn't know.

Use your teachers! They are there to help you, so if there's a question you're stuck on (and have had a properly long go at, left alone for a bit and come back to) you should ask them about it (go to maths teachers for the maths half, physics teachers for the physics half). Get them to mark a mock paper or two for you, it'll give you a more accurate idea of where you're at.

Do all the past papers by November (look at how many past papers you've got left and figure out how often you should be doing them). Much like A levels, the maths is best practiced by just doing it. Don't forget to do timed papers in close to exam conditions.

Don't get discouraged when you find it too hard, especially with material you've been teaching yourself. The test is meant to be hard - push on, or take a ten minute break and come back to it, but don't get frustrated and give up because you aren't doing as well as you're used to doing.

I feel like I've been more rambling than helpful oops, but do ask if you've got more questions about the PAT! Good luck :smile:
Original post by Lau14
I'll be doing physics so I can't really comment on materials science applications but I did the PAT last year so if you want any more help feel free to ask!

If your maths education is a problem then this needs to be submitted to them somehow or it won't be taken into account (I'm not sure if there's a specific way to inform them of this or if your teachers should have it put in your reference or what), otherwise unfortunately you'll just have to try and work past it. There's a page on matsci admissions here if you haven't already seen it which might have some useful information.

Tips for the PAT:

Check the syllabus (it's a vague list of topics really but the only starting point you have). If there's topics you haven't done (and there probably will be because it doesn't quite match up with AS physics), self study them asap and then talk to your teachers about any problems. As you go along, make sure you've learnt and understood both everything on this list and anything that's come up on a past paper that you didn't know.

Use your teachers! They are there to help you, so if there's a question you're stuck on (and have had a properly long go at, left alone for a bit and come back to) you should ask them about it (go to maths teachers for the maths half, physics teachers for the physics half). Get them to mark a mock paper or two for you, it'll give you a more accurate idea of where you're at.

Do all the past papers by November (look at how many past papers you've got left and figure out how often you should be doing them). Much like A levels, the maths is best practiced by just doing it. Don't forget to do timed papers in close to exam conditions.

Don't get discouraged when you find it too hard, especially with material you've been teaching yourself. The test is meant to be hard - push on, or take a ten minute break and come back to it, but don't get frustrated and give up because you aren't doing as well as you're used to doing.

I feel like I've been more rambling than helpful oops, but do ask if you've got more questions about the PAT! Good luck :smile:

Thanks! So just keep calm and carry on then :smile:
Just out of interest what physics board were you on? At my school we all really struggle with the practical unit (AQA A unit T). I came out with 44/60 ums (B) on that unit and that was the highest mark. As I'm going for the A* and 90% I'd really like to get that to an A so I don't need to worry about getting ridiculously close to 100% ums in my two exams. Any tips or resources you know of? (For AS OCR A chemistry there are stunning practical revision guides and for biology too but no physics)

Thanks again for all the useful advice :smile:
Sorry for the typical '''are my grades''' but...
Got GCSEs today, 4A*s, 3As and 4Bs but I'm looking at getting 2 As remarked as I was a few marks off of A*s.
So at worst my grades are above, at best 6A*s, 1A and 4Bs. I would like to do Psychology and I am planning to smash my A levels, plus get relevant Work Experience with a local clinical and business psychologist.
So... are my grades good enough? :colondollar:
Original post by Orangemonkey1
Thanks! So just keep calm and carry on then :smile:
Just out of interest what physics board were you on? At my school we all really struggle with the practical unit (AQA A unit T). I came out with 44/60 ums (B) on that unit and that was the highest mark. As I'm going for the A* and 90% I'd really like to get that to an A so I don't need to worry about getting ridiculously close to 100% ums in my two exams. Any tips or resources you know of? (For AS OCR A chemistry there are stunning practical revision guides and for biology too but no physics)

Thanks again for all the useful advice :smile:

Pretty much! Work as much as you can and don't give up :smile:
AQA! We did the EMPA (unit PHYA1X) though, which is ever so slightly less painful because there's less cheating to drive boundaries up I think. (It still sucks, I have no idea how I pulled a 50 and a 60 in those). To be honest though, any pass grade in the practical makes it possible to get an A* - 30/60 with full UMS in the papers - so if you got around the same again next year (and you may do better in next years just because you're more familiar with it or luck of the paper) then it's not too hard to pull up with the papers. I can't really help you otherwise though because I didn't do the ISA myself sorry.
Original post by WinterApproaches
I really doubt it, given that people who haven't studied A level maths are admitted onto the course. Ahh that sounds nice, are you a mature applicant? And same here, need to finish reading on the books- just annoyed at how my tsa scores can vary so wildly, from 74 in one to 58 in another.

Ah well, it'll help with the cv. Yep, I'll be 32 when I start uni. Decided I need a change of direction in life and I've always wanted to go back to uni.

I've not had a look at any tests yet, plan to do my first mock in a few weeks once I've got the books and looked at them a bit. I'm sure practice will help you get closer to the high marks in the actual test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like to apply for biomedicine at Oxford but I got 4A*s, 5As and 2Bs at GCSE then 5 As including an EPQ at AS levels, I know I flunked GCSEs but is it still worth taking the BMAT and applying to Oxford or do I have no chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would Oxford mind candidates if they re-took a year?
Original post by tilly5798
Would Oxford mind candidates if they re-took a year?

Are you the muso person I talked to the other day? I don't think it's outright banned but it would depend on the reasons for retaking a whole year?

Quite a few people apply to Oxford post-A2, having secured AAA at A2, so that might be a preferable option, rather than resitting a whole year.

If you really want to take three years to do your A Levels in order to apply for music at Oxford, I'd recommend emailing Alec Sims:
http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/about/people/administration-staff/alec-sims/

Latest

Trending

Trending