The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough to apply for Oxbridge?

I just received my GCSE results and would like to ask if anyone thinks they are good enough for Oxbridge.

English language A*
English literature A*
History A*
Religious studies A*
Art A*
Spanish A
Maths A
Double science AA
Geography B

Scroll to see replies

Yes
But to elaborate: You will be slightly disadvantaged at Oxford since they do sort of care and you are slightly below average in terms of number of A* for an Oxford applicant, but for Cambridge you will be totally fine.
Reply 3
Original post by tysonmaniac
But to elaborate: You will be slightly disadvantaged at Oxford since they do sort of care and you are slightly below average in terms of number of A* for an Oxford applicant, but for Cambridge you will be totally fine.

Thanks!
For what subject?
Reply 5
Hello,

According to a PDF guide I read, Oxbridge have revealed that the average applicant has 5-8 A*'s and it appears you have successfully obtained the relevant grades you need! However, bear in mind that your GCSE and A-level results don't completely determine which university you get into. Interviewers at Oxbridge also look for genuine interest in the subject you want to study, enthusiasm and good analytical and intellectual abilities.

If you wanted to do some light reading about this matter, feel free to have a read o' this:
file:///C:/Users/MACHINE/Downloads/Part6.pdf

Hope this helps!
FLM3026

P.S: Your GCSE results are *great* by the way. What a great way to end two years of hard work, eh? :smile:
Reply 6
[QUOTE="The_Lonely_Goatherd;58701227"]For what subject?[/QUOTE

Probably history, but not totally sure yet
Are mine good enough for Natsci or medicine?

Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Geography - A*
ICT - A*
Statistics - A
English literature - A
English language - B
German - B
Business - B
Expressive arts - B

thanks
Reply 8
Yeah they're fine but maybe you might need some actual AS levels to decide if you can apply or not lmao
Reply 9
ofcourse they r b
Original post by FLM3026
Hello,

According to a PDF guide I read, Oxbridge have revealed that the average applicant has 5-8 A*'s and it appears you have successfully obtained the relevant grades you need! However, bear in mind that your GCSE and A-level results don't completely determine which university you get into. Interviewers at Oxbridge also look for genuine interest in the subject you want to study, enthusiasm and good analytical and intellectual abilities.

If you wanted to do some light reading about this matter, feel free to have a read o' this:
file:///C:/Users/MACHINE/Downloads/Part6.pdf

Hope this helps!
FLM3026

P.S: Your GCSE results are *great* by the way. What a great way to end two years of hard work, eh? :smile:

Thanks so much, I'll have a look at that, really helpful!
Thank you, I'm really pleased with them, slightly disappointed with geography but I'm getting a remark done!
Reply 11
No problem-o! It's what this community is for, eh?

Don't be too disappointed with your geography grade. As long as you gave it your all and have genuine passion for studying the world around us, I don't think it's anything to be too worried about. :smile: A remark sounds like a good idea, especially if you vehemently believe that the grade you were issued doesn't reflect your ability.

Good luck with your further education and keep up the wonderful work!
FLM3026
Original post by Jordanharvey

Probably history, but not totally sure yet

Should be fine for History at Oxford - just wanted to check you are not a budding medic, in which case your grades probably wouldn't get you to the interview stage.

Original post by Turtlebunny
Are mine good enough for Natsci or medicine?

Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Geography - A*
ICT - A*
Statistics - A
English literature - A
English language - B
German - B
Business - B
Expressive arts - B

thanks

Afraid those GCSE grades are unlikely to secure you an interview at Oxford :no:
Original post by FLM3026
No problem-o! It's what this community is for, eh?

Don't be too disappointed with your geography grade. As long as you gave it your all and have genuine passion for studying the world around us, I don't think it's anything to be too worried about. :smile: A remark sounds like a good idea, especially if you vehemently believe that the grade you were issued doesn't reflect your ability.

Good luck with your further education and keep up the wonderful work!
FLM3026

I wouldn't be getting it remarked as I'm not unhappy with the grade itself, but I got an A* in my physical geography mock exam, and in the gcse I got a C in the physical geography paper, so I'm slightly confused how that happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Should be fine for History at Oxford - just wanted to check you are not a budding medic, in which case your grades probably wouldn't get you to the interview stage.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I just received my GCSE results and would like to ask if anyone thinks they are good enough for Oxbridge.

English language A*
English literature A*
History A*
Religious studies A*
Art A*
Spanish A
Maths A
Double science AA
Geography B

You will be slightly disadvantaged if you want to apply for Oxford HOWEVER this is not the case for Cambridge. I spoke to a Cambridge professor a few months ago and she said Cambridge don't really care about GCSEs, it's A Levels that matter. As long as you pass maths and english it's fine, and you got top grades in that so for Cambridge you've got nothing to worry about :smile: Well done on your results!

No problem. Check the course contents/structures of both Oxford and Cambridge's courses once you settle on your degree subject, then work hard for AS and A2 and try and swot up for any pre-entrance exams (Oxford has the History Aptitude Test - HAT) :smile:
Reply 17
Ah, I see! Yes, that does sound quite perplexing to me as well. But either way, you've earned excellent GCSE results.:smile:

Have a nice evening!
FLM3026
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Afraid those GCSE grades are unlikely to secure you an interview at Oxford :no:

Was looking more at Cambridge actually, since they offer NatSci which is broader and more varied, since idk what sort of science I want to do in the future.
Original post by Turtlebunny
Was looking more at Cambridge actually, since they offer NatSci which is broader and more varied, since idk what sort of science I want to do in the future.

Fairy snuff. Afraid I'm Dark Blue so can't advise on your prospects for The Other Place :ninja:

:tongue:

Good luck with it all though! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest