User1983593
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm planning on studying Philosophy and Politics at Uni and out of my AS results, I was wondering which A Levels I should drop as I don't really want to keep all 4.

I got:

Religious Studies - A (89% UMS)
History - B (72% UMS)
English B (76% UMS)
Media Studies - A (98.5% UMS)

Originally I was planning on dropping Media because it is not respected enough and whatever, and I do plan on getting an A in English and A in History (one resit), if I do decide to keep them. If I didn't I would drop History. However, I've read online that usually Unis want two traditionally suitable subjects, so do you think its a better idea to apply to top unis with AAB (A*A*A prediction) with media or with ABB (A*AA prediction) with 3 more traditional subjects. I do want to apply to top Unis but I feel like my situation is a bit weird as both options seem pretty balanced (keep high grade media or lower grade history)
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Londoner.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You might as well do the one you enjoyed the most at AS for A2 because you've got two 'respectable' subjects. I did biology and chemistry which I needed for the course I wanted to do at university and I kept sociology (which people consider as a 'soft' subject) and I got all of my offers including from russell group universities. Personally, I would keep media as you did brilliantly in it!
User1983593
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Londoner.)
You might as well do the one you enjoyed the most at AS for A2 because you've got two 'respectable' subjects. I did biology and chemistry which I needed for the course I wanted to do at university and I kept sociology (which people consider as a 'soft' subject) and I got all of my offers including from russell group universities. Personally, I would keep media as you did brilliantly in it!
Thank you for the advice and kind words. I recently contacted UCL and LSE and they told me, similarly to you, that as long as I had 2 preferable subjects, I could do a non-preferable third one. However, I know typically, students apply with 3 preferable subjects. My Head of Sixth just told me that he wont even predict me an A in History, and therefore if I kept it, I wouldn't even meet the AAA/A*AA requirements by the top unis.I don't know how much it's worth in the application that I at least did it in AS and achieved a B. Ultimately, I guess it would make more sense to maybe keep Media. I'm just worried about my chances if I did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads