The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retropattern
Hi, i want to do earth sciences next year. what would anyone recommend dropping out of maths, chemistry, biology and geography, bearing in mind that i an doing a epq in geography (fracking) so it would be kind of awkward if i did drop that.
Plus my grades were ABBB in maths, chem, bio, geo respectively. I wanted another A so im retaking a chem module next year. Are they good enough to even be concidered by imperial.

Drop geography, in my opinion. I know you are doing an epq on it, but doing three hard sciences overall looks generally better to universities, and may even get you a lower entrance requirement. If you want to aim for Imperial, I would say that is yet another reason to drop geography as they do like their hard sciences there.
From my experience, I got a lower entrance requirement from Bristol as I did maths, chemistry and biology, rather than another subject (such as geography/geology). When it came down to results day, I also didnt quite meet my grades on the day, and when I rang up they said that they gave me the place on the course due to the subjects that I did.
I did a geology/palaeontology- based epq, and tbh I feel it really gave me the edge over students doing only 2 sciences and either geography/geology. This is because I could show to the unis that I had the basic scientific knowledge needed for the course, as well as experience in report writing.
These are just my opinions and experiences, so feel free to ask me any questions or anything! good luck!
Hi, i want to do earth sciences next year. what would anyone recommend dropping out of maths, chemistry, biology and geography, bearing in mind that i an doing a epq in geography (fracking) so it would be kind of awkward if i did drop that.
Plus my grades were ABBB in maths, chem, bio, geo respectively. I wanted another A so im retaking a chem module next year. Are they good enough to even be concidered by imperial.

Particularly if you're thinking of applying to somewhere like Imperial, Geography's the best one to drop. If you really don't want to drop Geography then drop Biology but you probably shouldn't drop Chemistry and definitely not Maths. Whether or not Imperial will give you an offer I don't know, but bear in mind that their standard offer is A*AA or higher so you'd have to go up by a grade in every subject which is hard, considering that A2s are more difficult than AS Levels.
Reply 742
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
So my son got AADD at AS yesterday. The A's were in Geology and English the D's in Chemistry and Law. He's pretty upset as his predicted for Chem was A/B and his past papers have all been A. What to do now, frankly he hates chemistry and only did it instead of biology because his college decided to put geology and biology in the same column on the options grid because ''there's no overlap between the subjects''. Idiots. Now he's thinking of doing geography instead but his heart was set on Bristol Uni for Environmental Geoscience and they say on their website-

*Science subjects should include one or more from the following group: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics. Other science subjects include Environmental Science, Geography, Geology and Psychology. Hard science subjects include: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.

Can anyone offer any advice, thanks.

Your son got AADD so if he drops Law then he has AAD chemistry and geology inclusive so hes ready to go.
Original post by Plagioclase
Particularly if you're thinking of applying to somewhere like Imperial, Geography's the best one to drop. If you really don't want to drop Geography then drop Biology but you probably shouldn't drop Chemistry and definitely not Maths. Whether or not Imperial will give you an offer I don't know, but bear in mind that their standard offer is A*AA or higher so you'd have to go up by a grade in every subject which is hard, considering that A2s are more difficult than AS Levels.

I'm sure it would be tough to get A*AA but I will definitely try my hardest and if i am predicted at least a AAA (which is the entry requirement on the prospectus), would I have a chance? And so your saying that you can have a disadvantage with you subjects, even if they are within what the college wants. For example, would someone doing Maths, chem and bio be preferred over Maths, chem and geo?
Original post by Lady_cattofkiki
Drop geography, in my opinion. I know you are doing an epq on it, but doing three hard sciences overall looks generally better to universities, and may even get you a lower entrance requirement. If you want to aim for Imperial, I would say that is yet another reason to drop geography as they do like their hard sciences there.
From my experience, I got a lower entrance requirement from Bristol as I did maths, chemistry and biology, rather than another subject (such as geography/geology). When it came down to results day, I also didnt quite meet my grades on the day, and when I rang up they said that they gave me the place on the course due to the subjects that I did.
I did a geology/palaeontology- based epq, and tbh I feel it really gave me the edge over students doing only 2 sciences and either geography/geology. This is because I could show to the unis that I had the basic scientific knowledge needed for the course, as well as experience in report writing.
These are just my opinions and experiences, so feel free to ask me any questions or anything! good luck!

The funny thing is that I find geo harder than the sciences, but next years topics are meant to be really good with energy security and environmental issues so i would be hesitant to drop.
Did you mention you epq on your personal statement and did they interview you about it?
The funny thing is that I find geo harder than the sciences, but next years topics are meant to be really good with energy security and environmental issues so i would be hesitant to drop.
Did you mention you epq on your personal statement and did they interview you about it?

At uni they teach you all the geology/geography you need to know, and they are very keen on you having the basic scientific skills on which to build your new knowledge upon. If you really do want to keep geo, then drop biology as it is the least applicable of the three sciences you are doing, but I wouldnt recommend it.
Yes i did mention my epq, and in the interviews I did a majority of the interview was talking about what I was doing/reading/writing for my epq :smile: its definately an important thing that uni's like to know about, as it shows that you can undertake a project and do it well.
I'm sure it would be tough to get A*AA but I will definitely try my hardest and if i am predicted at least a AAA (which is the entry requirement on the prospectus), would I have a chance? And so your saying that you can have a disadvantage with you subjects, even if they are within what the college wants. For example, would someone doing Maths, chem and bio be preferred over Maths, chem and geo?

If your prediction was AAA then it would either be very difficult or impossible (I'm not sure which) for you to get an offer from Imperial. They're already hugely oversubscribed with plenty of people who are predicted way above their offer so it's not really in their interest to give out offers to people who are predicted below. I guess there's no harm in trying since your results are good enough to give you a good chance at most other universities in the UK but I do think it's extremely unlikely that you'd get an offer over Imperial.

And yes, Maths, Chemistry and Biology would be preferable over Maths, Chemistry and Geography in terms of preparation for university but that choice isn't going to make or break your application. Just don't drop Maths or Chemistry.
Original post by Lady_cattofkiki
At uni they teach you all the geology/geography you need to know, and they are very keen on you having the basic scientific skills on which to build your new knowledge upon. If you really do want to keep geo, then drop biology as it is the least applicable of the three sciences you are doing, but I wouldnt recommend it.
Yes i did mention my epq, and in the interviews I did a majority of the interview was talking about what I was doing/reading/writing for my epq :smile: its definately an important thing that uni's like to know about, as it shows that you can undertake a project and do it well.

Ok thanks! Just one more question, is it worth mentioning that you've been to summer schools in the uni you want to apply to in the hopes that it will give you extra credit, or is that just milking it???
If your prediction was AAA then it would either be very difficult or impossible (I'm not sure which) for you to get an offer from Imperial. They're already hugely oversubscribed with plenty of people who are predicted way above their offer so it's not really in their interest to give out offers to people who are predicted below. I guess there's no harm in trying since your results are good enough to give you a good chance at most other universities in the UK but I do think it's extremely unlikely that you'd get an offer over Imperial.

And yes, Maths, Chemistry and Biology would be preferable over Maths, Chemistry and Geography in terms of preparation for university but that choice isn't going to make or break your application. Just don't drop Maths or Chemistry.

Well, i suppose i'll just have to get predicted A*AA then. Yeah i won't drop maths or chemistry.
Ok thanks! Just one more question, is it worth mentioning that you've been to summer schools in the uni you want to apply to in the hopes that it will give you extra credit, or is that just milking it???

its probably worth mentioning in your personal statement as it shows extra interest in the course you want to do :smile: Good luck in your application!

There's nothing wrong with talking about the summer school, but only if it actually helped you. Don't talk about the summer school for the sake of "extra credit", it's just a waste of space if you have nothing valuable to say about it. I mentioned several activities I did at the university I wanted to get into the most but because they genuinely had a big effect on me.

honestly dude i got an imperial offer with bbcc and an a in the epq so hell yh you'll be fine!
nail the interview ahah
Original post by KingPanda
honestly dude i got an imperial offer with bbcc and an a in the epq

Really?
Congrats on that, did you take it?
Original post by Shane Webb
Really?
Congrats on that, did you take it?

ahah unfornately i never took it cause it was a little risky with the grades i had
:':wink:

but yh i did :smile:
ahah unfornately i never took it cause it was a little risky with the grades i had

Wow
Geology isn't very competitive is it?
Are you at Keele now? Hows that going?
Reply 755

What were ur gcse?
Guys im considering UCL now
how competitive is that? the admissions tutor told me I'd get an offer, but can any of you guys tell me about it
Original post by Shane Webb
Guys im considering UCL now
how competitive is that? the admissions tutor told me I'd get an offer, but can any of you guys tell me about it

I don't think UCL is particularly competitive for Earth Sciences at an undergraduate level which a little bit surprising because the department does a lot of very interesting research. I actually really loved their Earth Sciences department, it was my second choice after Oxford. I spent a week there doing work experience and had a really great time.
I don't think UCL is particularly competitive for Earth Sciences at an undergraduate level which a little bit surprising because the department does a lot of very interesting research. I actually really loved their Earth Sciences department, it was my second choice after Oxford. I spent a week there doing work experience and had a really great time.

I don't like how their offer varies though. The whole AAA-ABB is a very broad range.
honestly dude i got an imperial offer with bbcc and an a in the epq so hell yh you'll be fine!
nail the interview ahah

wow, you give me hope lol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending