The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a remark for maths GCSE?

I was two marks away from a B in the edexcel maths paper. How much is a retake and is it worth it? Is it also rare for it to go up by two marks in order to get a B?
Original post by xnads
I was two marks away from a B in the edexcel maths paper. How much is a retake and is it worth it? Is it also rare for it to go up by two marks in order to get a B?

You'll need to ask your examinations officer for the price but the full price is refunded if your grade changes. In general, it is unlikely for marks in subjects like Maths, where a strict markscheme is followed, to change.
Personally I would do it.
Original post by usycool1
You'll need to ask your examinations officer for the price but the full price is refunded if your grade changes. In general, it is unlikely for marks in subjects like Maths, where a strict markscheme is followed, to change.

^^ My english paper went up about 15 UMS but with something like maths where an answer is either right or wrong marking is usually incredibly accurate. Are you planning on doing anything maths-related at University OP?
Reply 4
Original post by Docjones1
^^ My english paper went up about 15 UMS but with something like maths where an answer is either right or wrong marking is usually incredibly accurate. Are you planning on doing anything maths-related at University OP?

No, but I'll be talking A-level Chemistry and A-level Biology so it's important to get a B in maths in order to do it.
Original post by xnads

Yeah sure if you want to waste 40-£60 for nothing. Lets be honest..you get it wrong you get it right..but if you feel you might gain a mark or two for you calculations..then by all means do it. Im sure if you really cared you would do it.
...just be warned it can go down not for maths but other subjects so be careful.

sources- im thinking of doing the same thing.(1 mark off B for eng lit aqa)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Orlando225
Yeah sure if you want to waste 40-£60 for nothing. Lets be honest..you get it wrong you get it right..but if you feel you might gain a mark or two for you calculations..then by all means do it. Im sure if you really cared you would do it.
...just be warned it can go down not for maths but other subjects so be careful.

sources- im thinking of doing the same thing.(1 mark off B for eng lit aqa)

What do you mean other subjects?:frown:
Original post by xnads
What do you mean other subjects?:frown:

Well subjects like..RE....Humanities...English ...Subjects that are graded on your response ....If another examiner has another opinion of your response then they can give you less marks than for that other examiner who thought hmm yeah that's good...
maths isn't subjective and it is unlikely you will gain any marks..But like I said if another examiner who remarks it gives you a few more marks for some calculations you did which wasn't given any attention by the previous examiner than yeah maybe don't lose hope.
Original post by xnads
No, but I'll be talking A-level Chemistry and A-level Biology so it's important to get a B in maths in order to do it.

You need a B in maths to do Biology? Chemistry I can understand but biology? Have you confirmed?
Reply 9
Well subjects like..RE....Humanities...English ...Subjects that are graded on your response ....If another examiner has another opinion of your response then they can give you less marks than for that other examiner who thought hmm yeah that's good...
maths isn't subjective and it is unlikely you will gain any marks..But like I said if another examiner who remarks it gives you a few more marks for some calculations you did which wasn't given any attention by the previous examiner than yeah maybe don't lose hope.

So the subjects that are affected is only if they are from the same exam board? So my Edexcel Religious studies exam would be affected even if I didn't pay for a remark for that subject? Does that mean it could also go up? And does that mean other subjects like english AQA different exam board wouldn't be affected
Reply 10
Original post by Docjones1
You need a B in maths to do Biology? Chemistry I can understand but biology? Have you confirmed?

I know I don't understand why..but I guess that's just the requirements:s-smilie:
Original post by xnads
So the subjects that are affected is only if they are from the same exam board? So my Edexcel Religious studies exam would be affected even if I didn't pay for a remark for that subject? Does that mean it could also go up? And does that mean other subjects like english AQA different exam board wouldn't be affected

No...you only get a re-mark for a single exam not like RE where you have short scourse and long course. Only one of those. And plus if you do get a grade changed, its only for that exam..then depending on if you passed a certain grade boundry then it can change your grade...
like me for example...in my eng lit I have 3 units (2 exams and one controlled assessment) both of the exams I did I got Bs...but for the controlled assessment I got a C (one marks off a b) SO if I got a re-mark for the controlled assessment and it went to a B then my eng lit would go froma C to a B ....YAY happy days
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
No...you only get a re-mark for a single exam not like RE where you have short scourse and long course. Only one of those. And plus if you do get a grade changed, its only for that exam..then depending on if you passed a certain grade boundry then it can change you grade...
like me for example...in my eng lit I have 3 units (2 exams and one controlled assessment) both of the exams I did I got Bs...but for the controlled assessment I got a C (one marks off a b) SO if I got a re-mark for the controlled assessment and it went to a B then my eng lit would go froma C to a B ....YAY happy days

That makes sense..It's risky. Do you know on average how long it takes for your paper to be remarkes with Edexcel? And good luck!
Original post by xnads
That makes sense..It's risky. Do you know on average how long it takes for your paper to be remarkes with Edexcel? And good luck!

It' take up to 30 days thts what edexcel says and if the grade does change (up or down) you get a refund for the amount you paid for the re-view of marking(that's what they call it) (£23.30)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest