The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redmel1621
I am pretty much a black trousers and shirt/blouse type of girl, when it comes to work wear. I would not inflict the sight of me in a dress on anyone!

Can I ask though, am I fine in me 'ole jeans for uni days?

Love this! After 9 years in combats and boots I can't cope with choosing what to wear so black trousers/blouse is my civilian work 'uniform'. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does the PGCE year 'use up' the availability of a masters degree funding (i.e student finance), so you cant do a masters afterwards (you would have to fund it yourself).
Original post by TunaTunnel
Does the PGCE year 'use up' the availability of a masters degree funding (i.e student finance), so you cant do a masters afterwards (you would have to fund it yourself).

There is no funding for a masters anyway. Student finance is only for undergraduate degrees.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by laura.a.c265
Love this! After 9 years in combats and boots I can't cope with choosing what to wear so black trousers/blouse is my civilian work 'uniform'. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

:blush:

I have received my reading list. I might get a couple of the books that look interesting but I imagine the majority would sit gathering dust. There is also no way I can afford 15 books, as some are around the £30 mark!

I am tempted to email every on the cc list and ask who is doing the PGCE as there is a mixture of PGCE & School Direct students :tongue: :wink:
:blush:

I have received my reading list. I might get a couple of the books that look interesting but I imagine the majority would sit gathering dust. There is also no way I can afford 15 books, as some are around the £30 mark!

I am tempted to email every on the cc list and ask who is doing the PGCE as there is a mixture of PGCE & School Direct students :tongue: :wink:

I wouldn't bother buying any books. I didn't read a single one over the year and any books I did need for essays were available in the library.

You could try looking for older copies of the books? I've found that for a lot of the recommended books by the uni, they have either 1p or "really low price and free delivery when you spend £10" versions on Amazon. Obviously that's not practical for anything curriculum specific, but for more theoretical books I've found that pretty good.

But I have no idea how often you'll use these books, so Samus is probably right that you can get them all from the library. But I hate libraries, so I like having my own copies!
Just buy international copies of books from abebooks for like £1, every year I get ~£200-300 worth of physics textbooks for like £60.
Original post by TunaTunnel

There hasn't ever really been any student funding for masters courses. You generally have had to pay yourself or apply for a career development loan from the bank.
There are new postgraduate loans being introduced as of Sept 2016, for those aged under 30 and I think the maximum you can borrow is £10000. You need to pay for your course as well as books/living costs from what ever you borrow.
There hasn't ever really been any student funding for masters courses. You generally have had to pay yourself or apply for a career development loan from the bank.
There are new postgraduate loans being introduced as of Sept 2016, for those aged under 30 and I think the maximum you can borrow is £10000. You need to pay for your course as well as books/living costs from what ever you borrow.

Are these still going through, or have they been quietly shelved after the election?
Original post by JoannaMilano
I'm seriously having to resist the urge to buy a laminator. We have one at work and I'm pathetically excited when I get to use it. I know the schools I'm in will have them, but my last school was super stingy with their laminating facilities, and it'd be nice to be able to make my own resources that won't get damaged.

I move to my uni city on Monday. I'm ridiculously excited and nervous. I can't stop buying new clothes and stationery.

Female trainees- what did you wear on placement? I'm trying to break out of my black trousers and smart t-shirt/jumper every single day routine, but not sure what's acceptable. I always look smart, nothing is above the knee or cleavage-y and I'll be wearing thick tights and cardigans, but my clothes aren't business formal either (midi skirts, tea/skater dresses etc).

It seems like primary teachers have a lot more leeway with what they wear, but in your experience what did that tend to mean?

I'm starting a Secondary PGCE and I honestly think the best thing is just to feel comfortable with what you're wearing. I wear a lot of vintage clothing and usually always look pretty smart, so I am planning to be myself and stick to that. If my placement schools are super smart, then I'll buy a blazer and be done with it. As long as you look appropriate, it is more important to feel comfortable with yourself, particularly in new situations. I also have a few friends who are teachers and their schools are actually pretty casual, so I wouldn't worry too much about it! :smile:

Is everyone buying things like printers and laminators etc etc? I can't really afford to do that at this point in time. I'm just trying to relax and remember that things always work out as they are meant to in life. I'm feeling unnaturally zen about the whole thing so far! I'm sure that'll crack as soon as I step into a school. :P
Original post by janeite
I'm starting a Secondary PGCE and I honestly think the best thing is just to feel comfortable with what you're wearing. I wear a lot of vintage clothing and usually always look pretty smart, so I am planning to be myself and stick to that. If my placement schools are super smart, then I'll buy a blazer and be done with it. As long as you look appropriate, it is more important to feel comfortable with yourself, particularly in new situations. I also have a few friends who are teachers and their schools are actually pretty casual, so I wouldn't worry too much about it! :smile:

Is everyone buying things like printers and laminators etc etc? I can't really afford to do that at this point in time. I'm just trying to relax and remember that things always work out as they are meant to in life. I'm feeling unnaturally zen about the whole thing so far! I'm sure that'll crack as soon as I step into a school. :P

I bought a laminator a month or two ago as my manager did the same course as me ( EYT) and recommended a laminator for making projects for children. I imagine a pgce is a bit different. I did get an a3 laminator that came with 100 laminating sheets for i think £25.

If you dont think you will make huge use of one, i'm sure you will find in a school or another student who has one.
Original post by sans-peur
I bought a laminator a month or two ago as my manager did the same course as me ( EYT) and recommended a laminator for making projects for children. I imagine a pgce is a bit different. I did get an a3 laminator that came with 100 laminating sheets for i think £25.

If you dont think you will make huge use of one, i'm sure you will find in a school or another student who has one.

Thank you! I imagine a laminator would primarily be used by those doing the Primary PGCE but I seem to be woefully underprepared compared to a few others on here. I've bought a few bits and pieces, skimmed a few teaching books and read some of the books I know will be on the curriculum (I'll be teaching English) but that is it. I've just been working and focusing on enjoying the peace and quiet on my days off.
Original post by janeite
Thank you! I imagine a laminator would primarily be used by those doing the Primary PGCE but I seem to be woefully underprepared compared to a few others on here. I've bought a few bits and pieces, skimmed a few teaching books and read some of the books I know will be on the curriculum (I'll be teaching English) but that is it. I've just been working and focusing on enjoying the peace and quiet on my days off.

I got through an entire career teaching English without having my own laminator, so don't worry! You'll be given quite enough information about what you need when you start, so enjoy the peace and quiet.
I'm getting so frustrated with my uni at the moment. I start on the 5th ( a saturday urgh) and they still haven't sent me the info of the enrolment day on the 5th including the times of the induction day. I had an email a couple of weeks ago saying that the main tutor of the course is back on the 1st and she will have all the details. I don't like things being left to the last minute :P
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Are these still going through, or have they been quietly shelved after the election?

Oh I don't know! I haven't heard that they've been shelved, although it wouldn't surprise me at all. :angry:
Oh I don't know! I haven't heard that they've been shelved, although it wouldn't surprise me at all. :angry:

I just assumed that it was a cynical and empty promise to lure in the student vote, but then I'm just a bitter and twisted old bag.
I just assumed that it was a cynical and empty promise to lure in the student vote, but then I'm just a bitter and twisted old bag.

This is what I also thought. It sounds too good to be true (although would devalue masters in the same way bachelors have been devalued). I don't know if it would be for every subject though...
Original post by Airfairy
This is what I also thought. It sounds too good to be true (although would devalue masters in the same way bachelors have been devalued). I don't know if it would be for every subject though...

If it happens, I'll eat my - well, something I don't like eating, anyway.
If it happens, I'll eat my - well, something I don't like eating, anyway.

The result of the consultation is due to be published within the next week (although this bitter and twisted old bag reckons that it'll quietly emerge on a 'bad news' day) so get your 'something' on standby. I think you're perfectly safe though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jantaculum
The result of the consultation is due to be published within the next week (although this bitter and twisted old bag reckons that it'll quietly emerge on a 'bad news' day) so get your 'something' on standby. I think you're perfectly safe though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you may have quoted me in by mistake, although I'm certainly the old bag. It's been a very long time since I was in the market for student finance! I'm a product of the old days when we all got grants for everything!

Yes, I'm quite sure it will be buried quietly. I am very sorry for my children's generation. Postgraduate education has once again become something only the rich can afford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending