The Student Room Group

OCR AS and A2 History in one year

I'm doing an extra year in college and I need to pick up one more A-level and I was thinking about doing History A-level (OCR, I believe) in a year. Do you think this is manageable? I will probably have to do some AS levels alongside this.
Bump - also if I don't end up doing this can anyone give me some advice on how to do well in the the OCR AS history? I would be aiming for an A grade (although I haven't done GCSE history before)

Thanks
My friend didn't do Gcse history but she done a level. She was fine with learning content and dates, it's just her writing was quite poor. So she ended up with an E this year. That wasn't a result of her not doing gcse, she had extenuating circumstance and she also hated history too. If you have a passion you probably will get better grades

I did gcse history and I don't think it contributed much to my a level grade. We did ocr history AS and its just so much to learn, I wouldn't advise doing that along with A2. But if you want to, that is your choice :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by angelcake123
My friend didn't do Gcse history but she done a level. She was fine with learning content and dates, it's just her writing was quite poor. So she ended up with an E this year. That wasn't a result of her not doing gcse, she had extenuating circumstance and she also hated history too. If you have a passion you probably will get better grades

I did gcse history and I don't think it contributed much to my a level grade. We did ocr history AS and its just so much to learn, I wouldn't advise doing that along with A2. But if you want to, that is your choice :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find it and what grade did you get? I might just do this as an AS level if I can (but i'm not sure if they count to UCAS points due to the new exam system). Can you give me some advice and tips please on how to get a good grade? I think if I find the topics somewhat interesting I can do well as I can do pretty good essays if I understand the topic well and in depth. I also know that History is meant to be a very good subject. Thanks.
Hi there,

I've just done AS history but the edexcel board. I definitely wouldn't recommend doing AS and A2 in one year as there's so much reading to do and essays to practice. Also the edexcel text books were written very formally and I personally found them difficult to read - certainly not light reading! But I suppose it depends on the topics. I didn't find the topics I had to study very interesting.
Original post by ArcticSlayer
How did you find it and what grade did you get? I might just do this as an AS level if I can (but i'm not sure if they count to UCAS points due to the new exam system). Can you give me some advice and tips please on how to get a good grade? I think if I find the topics somewhat interesting I can do well as I can do pretty good essays if I understand the topic well and in depth. I also know that History is meant to be a very good subject. Thanks.

I got a B which was v annoying because I wanted an A. But I'm not complaining tbh. I'd say you just need to do a billion essays. I did them so much I started memorizing essays but the ones I memorized didn't come in the exam :lol: #unluckym8. There's two papers and they both have different skills. The first one is sources and that's the one I got an A in. Even though the sources this year was absolute ********, I still got an A in that. You just need to learn how to inference and its basc English (which I acc hate?). the second paper is a lot harder imo and its all about learning content and knowing how to write and structure the essay. I can't really give tips without you knowing the content. But as soon as you learn one.topic, do loads of essays. (I got a C in this paper which was such a letdown because I did this paper on my birthday LOL) #doubleunlucky. If you find interest in it, it really helps. But if you aren't getting.at least a C by December, ask your teacher to show and go through sample essays. They're all acc kinda written in the same way. It was only when I saw these essays my mark rose rapidly. (I only started getting As-100% around April). But she should have shown the sample essays latest by February imo, good luck and don't panic, I enjoyed history and I'm sure you will too x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelcake123
I got a B which was v annoying because I wanted an A. But I'm not complaining tbh. I'd say you just need to do a billion essays. I did them so much I started memorizing essays but the ones I memorized didn't come in the exam :lol: #unluckym8. There's two papers and they both have different skills. The first one is sources and that's the one I got an A in. Even though the sources this year was absolute ********, I still got an A in that. You just need to learn how to inference and its basc English (which I acc hate?). the second paper is a lot harder imo and its all about learning content and knowing how to write and structure the essay. I can't really give tips without you knowing the content. But as soon as you learn one.topic, do loads of essays. (I got a C in this paper which was such a letdown because I did this paper on my birthday LOL) #doubleunlucky. If you find interest in it, it really helps. But if you aren't getting.at least a C by December, ask your teacher to show and go through sample essays. They're all acc kinda written in the same way. It was only when I saw these essays my mark rose rapidly. (I only started getting As-100% around April). But she should have shown the sample essays latest by February imo, good luck and don't panic, I enjoyed history and I'm sure you will too x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your detailed response, and congrats on your grade, a B is still good! :smile:

This will be useful for me if I do decide to choose History AS, I hope I enjoy it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you for your detailed response, and congrats on your grade, a B is still good! :smile:

This will be useful for me if I do decide to choose History AS, I hope I enjoy it.

You're welcome (took me ages to type lolll) I'm glad to help :smile:

If you take it, I hope you enjoy it too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I did OCR AS History this year and I'll be carrying on for A2, with an A at AS. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend doing both in one year personally. There is a lot of content that you need to revise and remember for AS and the essay technique also needs to be perfected. I revised for three months, about five hours of history at the weekend, and found that quite stressful personally. You would find that essay skills from AS help build up to A2 essays as well, so it may be easier to do it over two years. However, it's up to you in the end and if you feel as if you would be able to cope with it, go for it.

As for doing well in OCR AS History, my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure that you know the content off the back of your hand, so you are comfortable using it exams and you can consider how different events compare to eachother. If you don't understand something in lessons, as your teacher to help you get your head around it before you move on to something new as the knowledge you use builds on previous knowledge a lot. Do lots of past papers, and ask your teachers to mark them and then tell you how to improve. Do so many that the exam structure becomes second nature. If you can get your hands on them, look at essays that other people have done. Your teachers may have access to these. You can look at these, and then look at the grade they got, so you know what to do and what not to do.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by oswalds
I did OCR AS History this year and I'll be carrying on for A2, with an A at AS. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend doing both in one year personally. There is a lot of content that you need to revise and remember for AS and the essay technique also needs to be perfected. I revised for three months, about five hours of history at the weekend, and found that quite stressful personally. You would find that essay skills from AS help build up to A2 essays as well, so it may be easier to do it over two years. However, it's up to you in the end and if you feel as if you would be able to cope with it, go for it.

As for doing well in OCR AS History, my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure that you know the content off the back of your hand, so you are comfortable using it exams and you can consider how different events compare to eachother. If you don't understand something in lessons, as your teacher to help you get your head around it before you move on to something new as the knowledge you use builds on previous knowledge a lot. Do lots of past papers, and ask your teachers to mark them and then tell you how to improve. Do so many that the exam structure becomes second nature. If you can get your hands on them, look at essays that other people have done. Your teachers may have access to these. You can look at these, and then look at the grade they got, so you know what to do and what not to do.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your response. I most likely won't be doing the whole A-level in a year but rather the AS, so I don't have to worry about A2 History. :smile:

Well done on your grade, I guess all the hours and stress paid off! I will definitely aim to know the content because this makes it possible to get good grade essays (as you said).
Thank you for your response. I most likely won't be doing the whole A-level in a year but rather the AS, so I don't have to worry about A2 History. :smile:

Well done on your grade, I guess all the hours and stress paid off! I will definitely aim to know the content because this makes it possible to get good grade essays (as you said).

Hey :smile: I got an A in AS History with OCR and an A* overall for the A2.

I would recommend being as clear and concise as you can within your essays. It sounds obvious, but many candidates fail to write a satisfactory introduction and so the rest of the essay falls flat because it hasn't been set up properly. An introduction should justify the historical significance of the question at hand and your own particular stance on the topic.

Your paragraphs should have clear focus and sentences should contain no more than 1 idea.

Be sure to use key phrases such as 'factor/s', 'circumstance', 'action', 'idea' etc. The examiner wants to know that you can recognise the various types of factor that act as the engine of change in history. For example, changes in ideas about race gave further gravitas to the arguments of civil rights campaigners in the 1960s in America.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending