The Student Room Group

I got a C in GCSE Maths, can i still go to a Russell Group University?

or am i better off re-taking it to get a higher grade?
University of Liverpool is the founding member of the Russell Group universities and about 95% of their courses require B in Maths and English.
I'm not sure about the rest because I've never looked into them.

I would resit and try and get the B to be honest. I only got a C as well because I did foundation. Not sure if I'm re-sitting yet or not.
Original post by jasminxo
or am i better off re-taking it to get a higher grade?

What course are you looking to apply for?
Reply 3
Depends what degree subject you want to do. The baseline is Grade C in Maths and English GCSE. However, some courses want higher grades and STEM subjects can be looking for a science GCSE subject as well. My Masters uni was RG and their humanities degrees just looked for the basic Grade C in Maths and English, with more of a focus on A Levels.

Research the likely degrees you're likely to aim for. Uni websites should have course requirements on their websites.
(edited 8 years ago)
yeah birmingham, durham and liverpool ask for A-C, but i'd personally retake to open more university choices
but if maths isnt needed for your degree then a C is fine

but it depends on your course, for example at exeter withh psychology they ask for a B grade in maths, whereas liverpool ask for a C
Original post by maggiedavies
University of Liverpool is the founding member of the Russell Group universities and about 95% of their courses require B in Maths and English.
I'm not sure about the rest because I've never looked into them.

I would resit and try and get the B to be honest. I only got a C as well because I did foundation. Not sure if I'm re-sitting yet or not.

What if you had good A levels but a C in maths and English GCSE?
Original post by German123

If the course is competitive this could serve as a reason to choose someone else over you. The top universities generally require a B in maths and english at least. If in doubt try looking on ucas for entry requirements to some of the russell group uni's and call up the admissions department asking if they would consider you even with a C in maths and english. Likelihood is that if your A level results/predicted grades are impressive, your GCSE's won't matter as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by atagirl01
If the course is competitive this could serve as a reason to choose someone else over you. The top universities generally require a B in maths and english at least. If in doubt try looking on ucas for entry requirements to some of the russell group uni's and call up the admissions department asking if they would consider you even with a C in maths and english. Likelihood is that if your A level results/predicted grades are impressive, your GCSE's won't matter as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool.
Reply 8
Original post by Kash24411
What course are you looking to apply for?

I want to do a law degree
Original post by German123

Not an expert; but sometimes they can make an exception in exceptional circumstances; keeping in mind that other applicants may also have "good A Levels" but then have a B or even higher in GCSE Maths and English - making the situation very competition. People who meet the requirements are more likely to get accepted to interview (and then you work from there).

Good luck! :smile:

Ah, Law isn't mathematical. So I think a C may just about work but try and aim for the A grades at A Level, get some work experience, ace the interview and you should be good to go.

I've just looked at Law (Hons) on Uni of Liv and the A Level offer is ABB
and then GCSE offer is GCSE English and Maths grade C.
Link: https://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/law-llb-hons/entry-requirements/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Yeah you can but you don't really need to.
It's only worth re-taking it if you think you'll get a B or an A next time! There's no point resitting if you were expecting a C or a D , as you're probably pleased with it in that sense. A C is a really good grade so don't be disappointed. With regards to course , it depends on what you want to do! I think if you want to be a teacher B in GCSE Maths is required ? I'm not totally sure on that one..

If you're thinking of a maths degree then obviously resit (or if you're thinking something sciencey i.e. Chem , Phys , Med , Dent)

If you're going to be studying english lit or classics I'm sure it won't matter at all!

Finally , remember that russell group unis aren't the be all and end all - there are excellent universities in the uk that aren't russell group!

**edit** seen as you're studying law might be worth a resit considering how competitive a degree it is?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by maggiedavies
Not an expert; but sometimes they can make an exception in exceptional circumstances; keeping in mind that other applicants may also have "good A Levels" but then have a B or even higher in GCSE Maths and English - making the situation very competition. People who meet the requirements are more likely to get accepted to interview (and then you work from there).

Good luck! :smile:

Ah, Law isn't mathematical. So I think a C may just about work but try and aim for the A grades at A Level, get some work experience, ace the interview and you should be good to go.

I've just looked at Law (Hons) on Uni of Liv and the A Level offer is ABB
and then GCSE offer is GCSE English and Maths grade C.
Link: https://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/law-llb-hons/entry-requirements/

I don't think I have mentioned it but I have rcceived my GCSEs last year and was just wondering about the thread title.

Hopefully A2 will go well for me.

Thanks for the reply.
I also got a C in maths and im hoping to got to a russel group uni, do they care if you resit in november?
Original post by want2bstudent99
Hi I am applying for 2018 medical schools in the UK however I am unsure if I have any chance at all of getting in with these GCSEs Sociology A* Economics A* English Lang A* Global awareness project A* English lit A Drama A (1 % of A*) Biology A Maths A Chemistry C (1% of B) Physics C I do IB right now and am predicted 39 - I do HL BIO CHEM PSYCH SL - MATH ENGLISH SPANISH I broke my arm before my gcse chemistry hence the bad grade :frown: DO I HAVE any chance? I looked into KCL and it says requirement is B for english and math which I have, however, on these forums it says KCL is GCSE heavy... PLEASE HELP im urgent :frown:(

They will definitely ask about your C in chemistry.

I also want to do a law degree and have started applying to Universities.... most places are not too bothered by GCSE grades. They're more bothered about your A level grades and what extra curricular activities you have done to show an interest in what you want to read. For example, if you got a C at maths and English GCSE but achieved AAA at AS level and joined debating societies, or read a lot about law, or have had experience as an ambassador for a school or college, they aren't going to reject you based on your GCSE grades.
and your reason for a c at gcse. are you allowed to resit a lot require exams in one sitting. your aware of the number of law graduates without a job. if your a c student plan a second course. seriously be flexible. uni is not always the best route.
hey! i was wondering if you got into the russell group uni with the c in gcse maths

Quick Reply

Latest