The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I got through an entire career teaching English without having my own laminator, so don't worry! You'll be given quite enough information about what you need when you start, so enjoy the peace and quiet.

Rather randomly, I have had an A4 laminator for a few years! I've never actually used it though. My mum was decluttering and palmed it off on me, along with a shredder and some other junk that is now cluttering up my wardrobe!!

I have a diary arriving today and I have picked up a pack of BIC pens - that is my prep for the year done :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
I've never even used a laminator before and am about to start my 3rd year of teaching. So secondary trainees, you'll be fine. :smile:

I have received a piece of laminated homework before. And one pupil laminated the picture he had to talk about for a GCSE Speaking assessment.

Needless to say, both of these pupils are children of primary teachers. :tongue:
Original post by redmel1621
Rather randomly, I have had an A4 laminator for a few years! I've never actually used it though. My mum was decluttering and palmed it off on me, along with a shredder and some other junk that is now been cluttering up my wardrobe!!

I have a diary arriving today and I have picked up a pack of BIC pens - that is my prep for the year done :wink:

Original post by myrtille
I've never even used a laminator before and am about to start my 3rd year of teaching. So secondary trainees, you'll be fine. :smile:

I have received a piece of laminated homework before. And one pupil laminated the picture he had to talk about for a GCSE Speaking assessment.

Needless to say, both of these pupils are children of primary teachers. :tongue:

I'd quite like a laminator for fun, personal craft purposes as I make a lot of things for my own amusement, but we had a very good print room which did all this stuff for you. One of my friends and colleagues used to make us all a credit card sized laminated timetable to keep in your purse. (We had a two week timetable and most of us failed to memorise it before the end of the year.) That was a good use of the laminator, I think. For secondary purposes, it's not necessary at all, but I can see primary teachers getting use out of it.
I just took the plunge and got my laminator. I'm a massive geek anyway so I'll just palm endless laminated projects onto my primary kids!

I haven't bought anything like plates, pans etc but my stationery supply is flawless. Priorities!
Original post by JoannaMilano
I just took the plunge and got my laminator. I'm a massive geek anyway so I'll just palm endless laminated projects onto my primary kids!

I haven't bought anything like plates, pans etc but my stationery supply is flawless. Priorities!

Lol! Well, you won't need plates. Just laminate some attractive sheets of paper.

Forgive me if this is massively naive, but what would you need plates and pans for?
Original post by Airfairy
Forgive me if this is massively naive, but what would you need plates and pans for?

New flat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol! Well, you won't need plates. Just laminate some attractive sheets of paper

Ha! I'm sure I could kit out my whole flat using just laminations and a teacher's creativity!

Sorry, that wasn't very well explained! They're not for school, I'm moving for my PGCE. I've just focused completely on silly stationery things and not the stuff I actually need to live.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ha! I'm sure I could kit out my whole flat using just laminations and a teacher's creativity!

I can see a whole new furniture range right there.
Original post by laura.a.c265

Sorry, that wasn't very well explained! They're not for school, I'm moving for my PGCE. I've just focused completely on silly stationery things and not the stuff I actually need to live.

Ohhh, sorry, that's what I get for only skimming things. I didn't know you meant a new flat. I thought you meant your PGCE and I was looking forward to see what kind of innovative teaching you'd come up with to use plates and pans :lol: .
Ohhh, sorry, that's what I get for only skimming things. I didn't know you meant a new flat. I thought you meant your PGCE and I was looking forward to see what kind of innovative teaching you'd come up with to use plates and pans :lol: .

Food and Nutrition GCSE.
I am enrolled! :eek:
I am enrolled! :eek:

Congratulations. The journey begins... It'll all feel new and intimidating at first, but you gradually slip into a rhythm so that at the end of the year you feel much more in control.
Original post by tory88
Congratulations. The journey begins... It'll all feel new and intimidating at first, but you gradually slip into a rhythm so that at the end of the year you feel much more in control.

I hope so!

I looked at my modules on moodle and haven't got a clue what they are on about :s-smilie:
I hope so!

I looked at my modules on moodle and haven't got a clue what they are on about :s-smilie:

It'll all make sense later. Just go with it until everything becomes clear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope so!

Teaching is filled with jargon. You get used to the relevant bits soon enough. The one that threw me was pedagogy, which just simply means the theory of learning and teaching..
Original post by tory88
Teaching is filled with jargon. You get used to the relevant bits soon enough. The one that threw me was pedagogy, which just simply means the theory of learning and teaching..

In my entire career I never really worked out the difference between and aim and an objective, but it never seemed to matter....
In my entire career I never really worked out the difference between and aim and an objective, but it never seemed to matter....

My second placement school had a thing about Learning Objectives being different to Learning Intentions... Despite 2 CPDs I still couldn't tell the difference XD

Original post by tory88
My second placement school had a thing about Learning Objectives being different to Learning Intentions... Despite 2 CPDs I still couldn't tell the difference XD

Sooo glad I'm not the only one because even when it was explained to me I didn't get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sooo glad I'm not the only one because even when it was explained to me I didn't get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a lot in teaching that is largely smoke and mirrors to enable people who talk *******s to climb the greasy pole...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending