The Student Room Group

GCSE English remarks

What's the chance of an exam out of 80 in english language increasing by four marks in a remark?

EDIT: It increased by 13 after the remark. I got the A* :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
High, it is English after all. No definite answers. If you get a nice marker, maybe more. Better chance if you currently have a lowish grade. If you have 70, the chance is small.
i need them they mess up my grade they got my unit 2 grade wrong those *****
Reply 3
Original post by Avor
What's the chance of an exam out of 80 in english language increasing by four marks in a remark?

can someone please help me out with English Language GCSE Because they've also messed up my grades and im actually very confused :frown::confused:

Sooo... English Language is 60% courseworks and 40% exam, right?

so theres:
unit 1 --> (exam)
unit 2--> IS THIS EXAM TOO? BECAUSE I CAN ONLY REMEMBER DOING UNIT 1 EXAM? :confused::confused::confused:
unit 3--> (coursework)
Original post by GCSEfreak
can someone please help me out with English Language GCSE Because they've also messed up my grades and im actually very confused :frown::confused:

Sooo... English Language is 60% courseworks and 40% exam, right?

so theres:
unit 1 --> (exam)
unit 2--> IS THIS EXAM TOO? BECAUSE I CAN ONLY REMEMBER DOING UNIT 1 EXAM? :confused::confused::confused:
unit 3--> (coursework)

Isn't Unit 1 Speaking and Listening? That would count as coursework or no?
And Unit 2 is the exam

UPDATE: Sorry messed it up.

I meant Unit 1 is the Exam and unit 2 is speaking and listening
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Joseph_S
High, it is English after all. No definite answers. If you get a nice marker, maybe more. Better chance if you currently have a lowish grade. If you have 70, the chance is small.

I have 57/80 raw. I need 61
Reply 6
You could. You'll never know. As long as your school pays, it isn't a problem.
Reply 7
Original post by Suldok
Isn't Unit 1 Speaking and Listening? That would count as coursework or no?
And Unit 2 is the exam

UPDATE: Sorry messed it up.

I meant Unit 1 is the Exam and unit 2 is speaking and listening

y in my paper it says:

unit 1 Higher tier
unit 2 foundation tier
unit 3 teacher assessment

???? :confused::confused:
:confused:

#ConfusedMuch
What is the chance my English grade will go up by 9marks for a regrade, I got a D but now body expected it, was predicated a B. All my teachers said I should get it remarked
Reply 9
I got 175 marks for english GCSE so I need 5 more marks in order to get a C. is it worth a remark?????
Original post by Nadine18
I got 175 marks for english GCSE so I need 5 more marks in order to get a C. is it worth a remark?????

Yep.
Reply 11
I shall get it remarked then, cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i was getting 67+/80 in my last 3 english mocks, achieving very high A*s, and my final exam points equate to around 47/80 which is an average B. I felt as if the exam went as any other english exam would go. I got full marks in my coursework so don't even understand how i could've got 47. My school and I think that the marks for one of my questions was missed off. I've requested a priority copy so look at how/if i made any major errors and am very likely to request a remark, but have been wondering whether such clerical errors have been made in the past?
I have just got back my AQA GCSE results in math and English language, foundation tier. However I went onto the website to check what the grade boundaries are but I cant understand it. Can anyone help me
Original post by abbie machin
I have just got back my AQA GCSE results in math and English language, foundation tier. However I went onto the website to check what the grade boundaries are but I cant understand it. Can anyone help me

On your results paper you are likely to just be given your points score, not your marks. But these can be translated into marks. Eg in ENG1F, 99 points (half way between points boundaries) is going to be roughly 47 marks (half way between mark boundaries).

ENG1F...English Language exam boundaries are (in marks out of 80) C=53 D=42 E=32 F=22 G=12
These equate to points values of C=108 D=90 E=72 F=58 G=36

ENG03...English language coursework boundaries are (in marks out of 90) A*=75 A=68 B=61 C=54 D=42 E=30 F=19 G=8
These equate to points values of A*=108 A=96 B=84 C=72 D=60 E=48 F=36 G=24

The sum of your points from both units makes your final overall grade. These boundaries are (in points)...A*=270 A= 240 B=210 C=180 D=150 E=120 F=90 G=60

MATHS…i wasn’t sure if foundation only applied to your english or maths too so both foundation and higher are included here. I also didn’t know which specific course you were on, Mathematics, Mathematics B, or Mathematics (pilot), but these are the boundaries for the standard Mathematics course.

43601Foundation…Grade boundaries (in marks out of 54)C=42 D=34 E=27 F=20 G=13
These equate to points values ofC=48 D=40 E=32 F=24 G=16

43601Higher...Grade boundaries (in marks out of 54)A*=47 A=40 B=29 C=19 D=13
These equate to points values ofA*=72 A=64 B=56 C=48 D=40

43602Foundation...Grade boundaries (in marks out of 66)C=48 D=40 E=32 F=24 G=16
These equate to points values ofC=60 D=50 E=40 F=30 G=20

43602Higher...Grade boundaries (in marks out of 66)A*=50 A=40 B=30 C=21 D=15
These equate to points values ofA*=90 A= 80 B=70 C=60 D=50

43603Foundation...Grade boundaries (in marks out of 80)C=53 D=44 E=35 F=27 G=19
These equate to points values ofC=72 D=60 E=48 F=36 G=24

43603Higher...Grade boundaries (in marks out of 80)A*=67 A=55 B=40 C=25 D=21
These equate to points values ofA*=108 A=96 B=84 C=72 D=60

Your points from all 3 units are added to create you overall points score…A*=270 A=240 B=210 C=180 D=150 E=120 F=90 G=60.Hope this helps!
Have 248 for English Lang. Any point in remarking? (AQA)
7 off English Lit, 3 off English Lang (both are currently an A, I'd like an A* as I want to study English at Uni) is it worth getting one or both remarked? Parents are happy to pay for it because they know how much it means to me, and in mocks and previous tests I got quite a few A*s. Considering contacting my teacher first, but I'm not sure.
Reply 17
Original post by memoriial
7 off English Lit, 3 off English Lang (both are currently an A, I'd like an A* as I want to study English at Uni) is it worth getting one or both remarked? Parents are happy to pay for it because they know how much it means to me, and in mocks and previous tests I got quite a few A*s. Considering contacting my teacher first, but I'm not sure.

I'm 5 marks off in english lit and I've gone for a remark so I think that it would be a good idea to get both of them remarked. However in english lit only send off one unit at a time since there are some cases where your marks increase in one paper and decrease in the other so your grade stays the same.
Original post by joodaa
I'm 5 marks off in english lit and I've gone for a remark so I think that it would be a good idea to get both of them remarked. However in english lit only send off one unit at a time since there are some cases where your marks increase in one paper and decrease in the other so your grade stays the same.

In Literature, I got A*s for both coursework and poetry, but barely scraped an A for novels (unit 1). I have no idea what happened as I can't really remember the exam, but should I just send off the unit 1 and see what happens?

I don't want to risk dropping to a B, but at the same time, I really feel like I was more than capable of getting an A*.

For language, it was Unit 1 that was the A too. I'll probably send that off since it's just 3 marks.
Reply 19
Original post by memoriial
In Literature, I got A*s for both coursework and poetry, but barely scraped an A for novels (unit 1). I have no idea what happened as I can't really remember the exam, but should I just send off the unit 1 and see what happens?

I don't want to risk dropping to a B, but at the same time, I really feel like I was more than capable of getting an A*.

For language, it was Unit 1 that was the A too. I'll probably send that off since it's just 3 marks.

Since you are comfortably in the A boundary then it would be unlikely that a remark would drop you down so low as to get a B I think. If you feel like the exam went well then there is a good chance a remark would give you the grade you deserve

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending