The Student Room Group

Examination Centres query

If i would like to do a AS level exam (my sixth form doesn't offer) would i be able to do an exam in a centre which offers the course or will is it only for private candidates who don't go school and revise independently through tuition or home-schooling or would i be able to do 3 subjects at my sixth form and revise for a course where i can go to a centre and take the exam at the end of the year.

Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER
If i would like to do a AS level exam (my sixth form doesn't offer) would i be able to do an exam in a centre which offers the course or will is it only for private candidates who don't go school and revise independently through tuition or home-schooling or would i be able to do 3 subjects at my sixth form and revise for a course where i can go to a centre and take the exam at the end of the year.

You can sit the exam at any centre prepared to take you. You will have to do some phoning around to find one, because it's not necessarily easy to find one just anywhere. If your school doesn't offer the subject, you'd be self-teaching. You'd be a private candidate at the exam centre and would have to pay for the exams.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You can sit the exam at any centre prepared to take you. You will have to do some phoning around to find one, because it's not necessarily easy to find one just anywhere. If your school doesn't offer the subject, you'd be self-teaching. You'd be a private candidate at the exam centre and would have to pay for the exams.

Thanks for the information, that really answered my question :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER
Thanks for the information, that really answered my question :biggrin:

The easiest place to sit it would be at your school - centres don't have to teach a subject to enter candidates for exams so try asking them if you could do the exams there.
Original post by Compost
The easiest place to sit it would be at your school - centres don't have to teach a subject to enter candidates for exams so try asking them if you could do the exams there.

Good point. I couldn't see the wood for the trees there!
If your school is prepared to enter you as a private candidate for the exams (which will cost around £50 per exam) then all you need to do is find an online provider who offers the course you would like to study.

It is becoming an ever popular way of learning :smile:

Good Luck
M

Quick Reply

Latest