The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Science with an Integrated Foundation Year

Hi all, just posting here to ask if anyone else is doing this course :smile: I got accepted, and plan to study CompSci and Maths afterwards, what about you guys?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by melvisntnormal
Hi all, just posting here to ask if anyone else is doing this course :smile: I got accepted, and plan to study CompSci and Maths afterwards, what about you guys?

Congrats! I did the foundation year a couple of years ago so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Congrats! I did the foundation year a couple of years ago so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

Nice! Did it give you any advantage over a direct entry candidate? Also what course are you studying?
Original post by melvisntnormal
Nice! Did it give you any advantage over a direct entry candidate? Also what course are you studying?

It gives you a bit of a headstart to university life which probably helps when you come to start the first year of your course, but I didn't feel I was at a huge advantage to those who went directly into first year. I'm studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering now.
Hey, I'm doing science with an integrated foundation year as well. I'm planning to go on to computer science after the first year.

I'm wondering whether the contact hours will be much lower due to it being a foundation year. Also, which building/buildings would the foundation year mainly be based?

Thanks
Original post by Teh Smart One
Hey, I'm doing science with an integrated foundation year as well. I'm planning to go on to computer science after the first year.

I'm wondering whether the contact hours will be much lower due to it being a foundation year. Also, which building/buildings would the foundation year mainly be based?

Thanks

Contact time tends to be around 15 hours per week, I'm not sure how that compares to the hours you'd be doing for CS.

The foundation year is based entirely on the Sackville Street campus. All of my lectures were in the Renold Building with tutorials spread across Renold, Sackville and some other nearby buildings.
Also doing integrated foundation year, hoping to go on to do Computer Science afterwards. :smile:
Original post by Teh Smart One

Thanks

Original post by PaddySDevine
Also doing integrated foundation year, hoping to go on to do Computer Science afterwards. :smile:

Nice! Hope to see guys around :smile:
hello do you think the foundation degree is good if you want to do a computer science degree
Original post by darkhorse14
hello do you think the foundation degree is good if you want to do a computer science degree

If your grades aren't good enough for first year entry, yes.
If your grades aren't good enough for first year entry, yes.

well quals are btec l3 extended with 3 d* in software development and a c in maths and a d in english.
lancaster was my firm choice, they said not due to my english being a d.
insurance is kings they said no due to being 3 marks a b for my gcse maths. i got uclan for software development they accepted my but i was thinking doing an extra year as a foundation degree in manchester uni then move on to do the computer science there. what do you think uclan for 3 years or manchester for 4 years.
(edited 8 years ago)
well quals are btec l3 extended with 3 d* in software development and a c in maths and a d in english.
lancaster was my firm choice, they said not due to my english being a d.
insurance is kings they said no due to being 3 marks a b for my gcse maths. i got uclan for software development they accepted my but i was thinking doing an extra year as a foundation degree in manchester uni then move on to do the computer science there. what do you think uclan for 3 years or manchester for 4 years.

I would go for Manchester but it's largely down to personal preference. It depends how much you prefer Manchester over UCLan and whether you think sacrificing an extra year is worth it to go there.
I would go for Manchester but it's largely down to personal preference. It depends how much you prefer Manchester over UCLan and whether you think sacrificing an extra year is worth it to go there.

what would you do? as a personal question
what would you do? as a personal question

I would go to Manchester, as I said. Though I'm somewhat biased in that I'm already a student there.
I would go to Manchester, as I said. Though I'm somewhat biased in that I'm already a student there.

ok what course are you doing. if it is computer science.
how do you find it?
are the tutors helpfull?
how the exams like in terms of difficulty?
is there a good support system for dyslexic students?
and good job opportunities?
any facilities for start ups?

thanks
ok what course are you doing. if it is computer science.
how do you find it?
are the tutors helpfull?
how the exams like in terms of difficulty?
is there a good support system for dyslexic students?
and good job opportunities?
any facilities for start ups?

thanks

I'm studying engineering so I don't really have any knowledge of the Computer Science department. I did, however, do the foundation year, which is broadly similar for people going onto study both CS and engineering.
I'm studying engineering so I don't really have any knowledge of the Computer Science department. I did, however, do the foundation year, which is broadly similar for people going onto study both CS and engineering.
wow ok how was it? would you recomend it? what did you study. and was it hard?
also im 20, will i be the old guy in the class. it sounds weird i know but i hate being in a class full of teenagers.
wow ok how was it? would you recomend it? what did you study. and was it hard?
also im 20, will i be the old guy in the class. it sounds weird i know but i hate being in a class full of teenagers.

I would recommend it if you really want to go to Manchester but don't have the grades for first year or, like me, don't have the right academic background.

I studied the electrical and electronic engineering 'pathway' but all of the pathways share units so I spent most of my time with people going on to do other courses such as computer science, maths, physics, chemistry etc. Much of the material is fairly similar to A-level or high school so it wasn't that hard. The most difficult part was how intensive it was, we moved through a lot of the material pretty quickly so you had to make sure to keep up.

Most people in the year tend to be 18/19 but there's still plenty of older people, 20 is nothing really. I was 23 when I started, if that helps.
I would recommend it if you really want to go to Manchester but don't have the grades for first year or, like me, don't have the right academic background.

I studied the electrical and electronic engineering 'pathway' but all of the pathways share units so I spent most of my time with people going on to do other courses such as computer science, maths, physics, chemistry etc. Much of the material is fairly similar to A-level or high school so it wasn't that hard. The most difficult part was how intensive it was, we moved through a lot of the material pretty quickly so you had to make sure to keep up.

Most people in the year tend to be 18/19 but there's still plenty of older people, 20 is nothing really. I was 23 when I started, if that helps.

thanks pal. now i know i have an option. your help is invaluable.

what entry grades did you have for the entry to the foundation degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending