The Student Room Group

Gym help needed!!!!

I need advice on bodybuilding , I'll be starting gym again soon and would like to gain as much muscle mass as possible.

I started gym a year ago, stopped because of studies, now I will be starting university in September and most likely will be joining the gym there.

18 year old
6 ft
140lbs

Workout plans, diet, supplements, would be very beneficial.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're looking to gain quickly then it's not just down to what you're lifting, it's down to how much you eat. (And what you eat)

Websites such as bodybuilding.com are really good for help and advice on working out and also on sample mass gain diets. There are loads to choose from so that would be my advice. Failing that, ask someone who works at the gym as I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Source - from previous experience of going to the gym the last 5 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Baz_ben
If you're looking to gain quickly then it's not just down to what you're lifting, it's down to how much you eat. (And what you eat)

Websites such as bodybuilding.com are really good for help and advice on working out and also on sample mass gain diets. There are loads to choose from so that would be my advice. Failing that, ask someone who works at the gym as I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Source - from previous experience of going to the gym the last 5 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

I consume about 2000 - 2500 calories a day and still no progress. Keep in mind that I hit all of my macro's (protein, carbs, fats).

Is there any particular workout routine you recommend for beginners/novice. ?
5x5 is meant to be a proper good routine even though its strength orientated you'll gain mass anyway cos of the whole 'noob gains' thing
Reply 4
If you want to bulk up quickly then you will need to consume about 3,000+ calories a day. An easy way I found to do this was by having one big shake to pile it on.
In a blender I would put:
2 cups milk
2 scoops peanut butter
1 banana
2 scoops protein powder
1 cup oats.
This equates to around 800+ calories, and it's all clean too.

When it comes to lifting I would do 3-4 sets, gradually increasing the weight and the reps as the sets go on.

Another thing as well, make sure you drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest as this is your recovery phase which is just as important as the training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by CelticBeast
5x5 is meant to be a proper good routine even though its strength orientated you'll gain mass anyway cos of the whole 'noob gains' thing

I'll give that a try.
Reply 6
Original post by Baz_ben
If you want to bulk up quickly then you will need to consume about 3,000+ calories a day. An easy way I found to do this was by having one big shake to pile it on.
In a blender I would put:
2 cups milk
2 scoops peanut butter
1 banana
2 scoops protein powder
1 cup oats.
This equates to around 800+ calories, and it's all clean too.

When it comes to lifting I would do 3-4 sets, gradually increasing the weight and the reps as the sets go on.

Another thing as well, make sure you drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest as this is your recovery phase which is just as important as the training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one thanks !
Btw what oats are those?
Reply 7
Just standard porridge oats. I normally buy the cheaper Tesco brand ones as it's just going to be put into a shake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wish I'd come across this website earlier as it would have answered some of my questions.
Anyway, read this and then do a routine from there:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/

Best to start with SL or any other beginner programme and then progress from there. Depends if you want to BB or more PL side of things.

N.B. 2000-2500 calories can't be enough then if you haven't gained weight. Simple.

Use 'myfitnesspal' to count calories.
Reply 9
Original post by Unistudent77
Wish I'd come across this website earlier as it would have answered some of my questions.
Anyway, read this and then do a routine from there:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/

Best to start with SL or any other beginner programme and then progress from there. Depends if you want to BB or more PL side of things.

N.B. 2000-2500 calories can't be enough then if you haven't gained weight. Simple.

Use 'myfitnesspal' to count calories.

Thanks, recommend any supplements?
[QUOTE=458zai;58747829]Thanks, recommend any supplements?

Well, Whey protein is definitely useful for when cutting in order to get enough protein, even when bulking I suppose.

This was the very question I've been weighing it myself recently, tbh I'm not sure what my next buy (if I buy) will be. Nothing jumps out at me and screams fad. The industry will make outlandish claims do you buy their products, I prefer evidence.
Also, whatever I buy (since money isn't unlimited), that money could have been use on extra food, which, is usually the best form of fuel so... Not sure yet.
Original post by 458zai
I consume about 2000 - 2500 calories a day and still no progress. Keep in mind that I hit all of my macro's (protein, carbs, fats).

If you aren't gaining you need to eat more, it's simple. Also 2000-2500 is a huge range, you don't need to track strictly, but try to have a rough enough idea of how much you are eating to the nearest 100 calories or so. You don't need to worry about macros. Most people over eat protein massively, so you will be getting enough. If you eat sensibly (mostly whole foods and balanced meals) you will be fine.

Original post by 458zai
Is there any particular workout routine you recommend for beginners/novice. ?

Stick to the basic lifts, do them often, and get stronger on them. There is no magic routine, do something simple and give it enough time to work.
Reply 12
Original post by BenCampbell
If you aren't gaining you need to eat more, it's simple. Also 2000-2500 is a huge range, you don't need to track strictly, but try to have a rough enough idea of how much you are eating to the nearest 100 calories or so. You don't need to worry about macros. Most people over eat protein massively, so you will be getting enough. If you eat sensibly (mostly whole foods and balanced meals) you will be fine.

Stick to the basic lifts, do them often, and get stronger on them. There is no magic routine, do something simple and give it enough time to work.

I feel like I'm burning unnecessary calories hence why I aint gaining weight, like you said 2000-2500 is a big range. I occasionally walk now and then to shops etc so that may be the case

In regard to the lifts, I'll stick to main compound movement and may do 5x5 program, heard a lot about that.
Reply 13
Original post by Unistudent77
Well, Whey protein is definitely useful for when cutting in order to get enough protein, even when bulking I suppose.

This was the very question I've been weighing it myself recently, tbh I'm not sure what my next buy (if I buy) will be. Nothing jumps out at me and screams fad. The industry will make outlandish claims do you buy their products, I prefer evidence.
Also, whatever I buy (since money isn't unlimited), that money could have been use on extra food, which, is usually the best form of fuel so... Not sure yet.

Keep in mind I want to bulk not cut. Gold standard whey protein is the one, but that's too expensive. How about pre workout?

Also there's this diet called Carb backload where you take in all of your carbs post workout. Reason being is it is the most effective to the muscles. :0
Reply 14
A good pre workout that I regularly use and have done for some time is C4. Pretty affordable and gives you a good buzz that will enable you to push out a few more reps, would highly recommend it. I usually buy it off amazon.

For protein, if you want to bulk up then look at mass gainers. They have tons of calories in which will help you reach your desired calorie total. Olympus health are fairly good and not too expensive. They also have a range of whey protein and all-in-one protein which maybe you can look at once you want to cut etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Baz_ben
A good pre workout that I regularly use and have done for some time is C4. Pretty affordable and gives you a good buzz that will enable you to push out a few more reps, would highly recommend it. I usually buy it off amazon.

For protein, if you want to bulk up then look at mass gainers. They have tons of calories in which will help you reach your desired calorie total. Olympus health are fairly good and not too expensive. They also have a range of whey protein and all-in-one protein which maybe you can look at once you want to cut etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
So I'd ignore pretty much all of the above. As a beginner you do not need a preworkout. You need a decent routine and a decent diet. It's all here in the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Give it a read - any further questions, ask them here :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Angry cucumber
So I'd ignore pretty much all of the above. As a beginner you do not need a preworkout. You need a decent routine and a decent diet. It's all here in the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Give it a read - any further questions, ask them here :smile:

Thanks mate.
Do stronglifts 5x5 and calculate how many calories you need:smile:
Also recommemd stronglift but sort your diet first.Work out your TDEE and eat 500 kcal above it

Quick Reply

Latest