The Student Room Group

The era of mass immigration is officially over.

It's official. Up until a few days ago I didn't really believe we'd vote 'out' on the EU.

However, in light of recent trends across the European continent, particularly economic migrants masquerading as 'refugees' and the meteoric rise of the Sweden Democrats, a party which is deemed 'far-right' by many in the MSM (it really isn't) now the leading party in SWEDEN of all countries (according to the latest YouGov poll), I can't help but think it's actually a realistic possibility.

The British Social Attitudes Survey says the same thing time and time again: the vast, vast majority of the British public want a reduction or a significant reduction in mass immigration.

We're seeing Macedonia defend it's borders with the utmost force, we've just witnessed UKIP win its first national election and 4 million votes at the last GE, we've seen an Austrian citizen pull in hundreds of thousands of signatures in the space of days to table a referendum on EU membership, we've seen a massive rise in popularity of Front National in France, we've seen Slovakia say it only wants to accept Christian migrants and we're even witnessing the Germans buckling under the pressure of the inevitable influx of cheap labour.

The latest IPSOS Mori poll places the topic of mass immigration as one of the biggest concerns of the British electorate, with just 25% stating their biggest concern was the 'economy.' Perhaps it's official? People are realising that while compassion and empathy are admirable traits we should form society around, we can't be run by them.

However, perhaps what has been the most telling to me is just how far even those on the far-left are shifting. Even Owen Jones, a bleeding heart progressive and appeaser of Islam, is arguing in favour of an exit from the EU. The Guardian today is a haven for what would, just two years ago, been described by those on the left, by default, as 'callous racism', 'bigotry' and 'xenophobia.'

All comments in opposition to mass immigration (and even Islam - I'm astounded the Guardian are allowing these, they usually censor them) are receiving a massive number of upvotes, an outcome which would be utterly unimaginable just a few years ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/21/angela-merkel-migration-crisis-europes-biggest-challenge

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/21/crush-reported-as-migrants-try-to-cross-border-between-greece-and-macedonia

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/21/corbyn-foreign-policy-saudia-arabia-israel-antisemitism

Even the darling of the left, Jeremy Corbyn, is being attacked for his views on Islam.

To any rational minded person, it's clear the concerns of the British public don't conform to any of the aforementioned labels, they are just bordering on the adoption of a feeling which is far more potent than any form of left-wing idealism: fear.

Fear of cultural erosion, fear for further deflation of working class wages, fear of over population, fear of radical and even moderate Islam, fear of massive demands on healthcare, housing and the education system, well beyond the crisis mode we endure currently (at existing levels of migration, we'd need to build a house every 7 minutes to meet demand - people only want to 'settle' in certain areas of the country).

Multiculturalism and the era of mass immigration is officially over. Say hello to the UK, IT'S BACK. On a side note, you may also wish to wave farewell to a Higher Education system which has been vehemently in favour of mass immigration, largely because all of its income is based around its proliferation - over the next 20 years, for a wide variety of reasons, it's done for (who needs a degree when everyone has a degree?).

The left has messed up big time. It's already blamed for the economy (naively, in some respects) and It still won't acknowledge how it has deviated from public opinion, and it's about to vote in a leader who is even more pro-immigration than Blair. It may be a popular option amongst hundreds of thousands of emotionally charged Labour voters, but he's going to come under trial by public opinion (even Guardianistas, who are typically utterly devoted to him, are criticising his attitudes on Islam), and he's going to lose big.

Haven't you wondered why the Tories have remained so quiet all throughout his campaign? They've got a mass of evidence against him, all of which is being kept from extensive public analysis, enough to sink him, and the Labour Party, for good.

Choose wisely. The tide is turning.

Scroll to see replies

we have an urgent need for migrants to keep coming !
Reply 2
Original post by Bill_Gates

And what's your explanation for that? Are you happy to house more than we can take in?

What, the ageing population?

I presume migrants don't age? What happens when the imported migrant population begins to age? Do we import more migrants? What's the upper limit per year? 1 million? 10 million? Where does it end? Is there an upper limit? What are the ramifications?

How are we going to deal with an impending crisis in the pension system if we continually expand public services to account for increasing demand? Do you want a pension? At this rate, our generation will be very, very lucky if it gets one.

China's population is ageing, as is Japan's, yet they are both vehemently opposed to mass immigration or, more accurately, 'multiculturalism.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Evening
And what's your explanation for that? Are you happy to house more than we can take in?

i am more than happy. We have more than enough land it's just in too few hands.
Reply 5
i am more than happy. We have more than enough land it's just in too few hands.

Just as long as you're happy to pick up the cheque.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
What, the ageing population?

I presume migrants don't age? What happens when the imported migrant population begins to age? Do we import more migrants? What's the upper limit per year? 1 million? 10 million? Where does it end? Is there an upper limit? What are the ramifications?

How are we going to deal with an impending crisis in the pension system if we continually expand public services to account for increasing demand? Do you want a pension? At this rate, our generation will be very, very lucky if it gets one.

China's population is ageing, as is Japan's, yet they are both vehemently opposed to mass immigration or, more accurately, 'multiculturalism.'

we have no option but to take more. Since demand for UK migration will decline in the future. Our economy is on the brink.

They will have better options. - Germany, Dubai, HK, India, Canada etc
Original post by Evening
Just as long as you're happy to pick up the cheque.

migrants always pay their way! let them flood in i say.
Original post by Evening

We need to build a house every 7 minutes.

Needless to say, they'll fling the density argument at us. 'We've got plenty of space!' Well...

1. People don't want to live in rural communities. They only want to live in cities. We're importing poor people with no skills and no education. They can't commute. They need to stay in cities.

2. Much of the British Isles is uninhabitable. Even if we've got the space, we don't have the accommodation. Rental prices are going to keep going up, and up, and up, and up. As is demand for NHS services (which, once you all graduate, you will all have to pay for).

It's unsustainable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Does this mean you'll stop making melodramatic adolescent threads on the subject? If so, pull up the drawbridge, concrete the Channel Tunnel and deploy the Ark Royal in the Solent estuary.

Btw the far left has always been againnst the EU, and I'm not sure what leaving the EU has to do with being anti-Islam.

I don’t understand why you consider this sort of *******s more important than stuff like the economy. I guess you kids these days are so young you don't really remember the recession.
We need to build a house every 7 minutes.

Needless to say, they'll fling the density argument at us. We've got plenty of space! Well...

1. People don't want to live in rural communities. They only in cities. We're importing poor people with no skills and no education. They can't commute. They need to stay in cities.

2. Much of the British Isles is uninhabitable. Even if we've got the space, we don't have the accommodation. Rental prices are going to keep going up, and up, and up, and up. As is demand for NHS services (which, once you all graduate, you will all have to pay for).

It's unsustainable.

Why do you believe immigration is the cause of this? It's like talking to a wall. THE TORIES ARE UNDERFUNDING EVERYTHING, like they always do. They and the sorts of people who make good money out of restricting essential services and infrastructure make a big noise and point at the EU and immigration and credulous people like you actually believe it.

There is not a shred of evidence that immigration is the main contributing factor to things like the crisis in housing and public services. There simply aren't enough immigrants to make a difference.

So start pointing the finger at the government and stop targeting the officially state sanctioned scapegoats.

Whenever someone says "we need to huild a house every 7 minutes" all I can think is "well we'd better get on with it then". I don’t understand the right wing position that there are a fixed amount of houses in the country and we have to trim our popupation numbers to fit. Doesn't the country, the infrastructure and the economy serve the people rather than the other way around?

I'm fed up of this endless Procrustean fiscal contractionist *******s.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot

I don’t understand why you consider this sort of *******s more important than stuff like the economy. I guess you kids these days are so young you don't really remember the recession.

What are you getting so irate about? Put the toys back in the pram.

I don't consider it more important, according to the British Social Attitudes Survey, 77% of the British electorate (including EVERY single minority group) does. According to the most recent Ipsos Mori poll, half of all respondents stated it was one their primary concerns.
Why do you believe immigration is the cause of this? It's like talking to a wall. THE TOIRES ARE UNDERFUNDING EVERYTHING, like they always do. They and the sorts of people who make good money out of restricting essential services and infrastructure make a hig noise and point at the EU and immigration and credulous people like you actually believe it.

There is not a shred of evidence that immigration is the main contributing factor to things like the crisis in housing and public services. There simply aren't enough immigrants to make a difference.

So start pointing the finger at the government and stop targeting the officially state sanctioned scapegoats.

I think you should go and take your politically partisan indoctrination, and your personal insults, over to the Guardian and argue this point. Even your comrades are lending masses of upvotes to every single comment in opposition to mass immigration.

You may want to deny rational and objective reasoning (it doesn't fit within the confines of indoctrination) however, to most people (including every single minority group in the UK, I might add), it's pretty simple: when you increase supply you increase demand. When you increase supply massively, you have to account for a massive increase in demand. Have you read any Adam Smith? Or is he a bit 'far-right' for you?
(edited 8 years ago)
What are you getting so irate about? Put the toys back in the pram.

I don't consider it more important, according to the British Social Attitudes Survey, 77% of the British electorate (including EVERY single minority group) does. According to the most recent Ipsos Mori poll, half of all respondents stated it was one their primary concerns.

I don’t care what the British public thinks, they're all thick as **** and know literally nothing about either demographics or macroeconomics. It's unsurprising that people think this when day in day out for thirty years the tabloid front pages have been screaming about how immigrants are going to eat your children.

The bottom line is there is absolutely no way immigration can cause crises in housing, schools, the NHS and un(der)employment. There simply aren't enough of them, and you will see how none of the indicators of these things remotely correlate with immigration. Again, call me crazy but I would point you more toward the government which has been cutting, reforming or otherwise undermining these areas year after year after year rather than a few hundred thousand foreign workers.

I don’t care what the British people think. It's. Not. True.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don’t care what the British public thinks, they're all thick as **** and know literally nothing

Your average far-left progressive voter, Ladies and Gentleman. I stopped reading at this point, I refuse to engage with someone who shows complete contempt for democracy.

Much like many on the far-left, you invariably believe you know best, that everyone else needs to be 'educated', or are merely 'bigots' and 'xenophobes.' The cultural elitism is astounding, particularly for someone who, in another thread, will claim to be speaking on behalf of the very working class population he demeans.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think you should go and take your politically partisan indoctrination, and your personal insults, over to the Guardian and argue this point. Even your comrades are lending masses of upvotes to every single comment in opposition to mass immigration.

Which political party am I supporting? Where have I personally insulted you?

The irony is that I don't really care one way or the other about immigrants, I'm certainly not unsympathetic to "sending 'em back" and all this. I just hate seeing them blamed for stuff perpetrated by the government.

The Guardian commenters have long been against PC bugbears like immigration and feminism. I comment there all the time, especially against feminism, and have never been censored or any of your other similarly melodramatic points.

And seriously, who counts upvotes on comments? Call me old-fashioned but I prefer to judge things by merit and reason rather than popularity, though from your various appeals to "what the British piblic thinks" I can only assume you're not the same.

You may want to deny rational and objective reasoning (it doesn't fit within the confines of indoctrination) however, to most people (including every single minority group in the UK, I might add), it's pretty simple: when you increase supply you increase demand. When you increase supply massively, you have to account for a massive increase in demand. Have you read any Adam Smith? Or is he a bit 'far-right' for you?

So why not increase supply to match demand? We have the space, we need the jobs, borrowing costs are at historic lows, the economy is vibrant.

Also I have yet to have any of your sort explain to me how immigrants can have caused this. For example, even if every immigrant since 2004 had taken one average house each - women and children included - this would only represent a 12% upward pressure on house prices - over a whole decade. If only that were the case!

We aren't building enough houses period, for natives, for immigrants, for both groups together. Sort it out, stand up to the Tories and their underfunding. The splitting hairs over natives vs immigrants can come later if it must.

Have you read Adam Smith on rentiership, the distinction between rent and profit? That's what drives the Tories and those like them to restrict the supply of housing and other infrastructure.
Your average far-left progressive voter, Ladies and Gentleman. I stopped reading at this point, I refuse to engage with someone who shows complete contempt for democracy.

Much like many on the far-left, you invariably believe you know best, that everyone else needs to be 'educated', or are merely 'bigots' and 'xenophobes.' The cultural elitism is astounding, particularly for someone who, in another thread, will claim to be speaking on behalf of the very working class population he demeans.

Ladies and gentlemen, your average rabble-rousing right-wing populist voter. Truth, statistics and evidence-based policy are out.
Pandering to the voters (which in practice means the whims of the major news outlets) is in.

(Oh, and "stopping reading" when you encounter an uncomfortable opinion that doesn't fit your preconceived ideas about the world is in too.)

People like you are the reason we have things like retarded drug policy for example. You want to give the powerful voters - and no, it's not just the working class either - exactly what fits their narrow-minded, ill-informed, instinct-driven prejudices and not an iota of further thought required.

"No doubt but ye are the People: your throne is above the King's. Whoso speaks in your presence must say acceptable things."

Also I am not far-left, I am mostly Liberal with ideas from the Greens (as is the Guardian, really; they are certainly not far left).

And yes I do think everyone needs to be educated: educated in scepticism and basic, well, basic logic really, so that they can form their own opinions about things. The thing you seem to be having trouble with is that these opinions ought to be built on at least some evidence or cogent argumentation.

And no I do not think people who are against immigration are xenophobic or bigots. I just think they're wrong. Apparently that's a crime these days. You go on a lot about this left-wing conspiracy but it sure as hell doesn’t feel that way to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
we have no option but to take more. Since demand for UK migration will decline in the future. Our economy is on the brink.

They will have better options. - Germany, Dubai, HK, India, Canada etc

Our economy will go hurtling over the brink when we start paying the pensions for hundreds of thousands of migrants in 30-40 years time.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
Reply 18
And yes I do think everyone needs to be educated: educated in scepticism and basic, well, basic logic really, so that they can form their own opinions about things. The thing you seem to be having trouble with is that these opinions ought to be built on at least some evidence or cogent argumentation.

What about being sceptical of British involvement in a body which leeches away our national sovereignty in return for representation on a fraudulent "democratic" Parliament, which through wilful act of policy ground an otherwise stable Arab state into dust, causing thousands to drown in the ocean trying to escape it, which has degraded the Greek people and refuses to engage in debt relief to lessen the crippling burden on their economy, and which by either sheer incompetence or deliberate malevolence managed to instigate the biggest armed conflict that Europe has seen since 1945?

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
Reply 19
deploy the Ark Royal in the Solent estuary.

I doubt it'd still float considering it was sold for scrap 2 years ago :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending