The Student Room Group

A level stationary??

Hi there, I'm starting my as levels in september (English lit, Psychology, History and film studies) and I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about what stationary I should have and what to bring each day to ensure that I am organised.
Also any general tips for my specific as levels would be helpful.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Pen, ruler, rubber, pencil, HIGHLIGHTERS!! And a writing pad and folder if your school doesn't supply them, post it notes are also pretty handy for revision.

English lit tips - Start learning quotes as soon as you start the texts, write to the criteria of the mark scheme, and try and do additional essays when you can. I found Mindmaps were really helpful for remembering key info about themes and characters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Radmandy
Hi there, I'm starting my as levels in september (English lit, Psychology, History and film studies) and I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about what stationary I should have and what to bring each day to ensure that I am organised.

The essentials (pen, pencil etc),
Folders with dividers,
Highlighters,
Post it notes and little sticky tabs (small post it notes) to stick in pages you need and write notes on,
Coloured pens (eg bic crystal fun colours),
Red and green pens for marking,
Many bookmarks.

The aim is to add colour to make your notes easy to read, and tabs and dividers to make it easy to locate the pages in your books that are important to reread or memorise. It's all a way to organise your work so that revision is easier and more efficient. :smile:

Black ball point pens, coloured pens*, pencils/mechanical pencils, a range of highlighters, ruler, eraser, sharpner/graphite refills for mechan pencils.

I really like the paper mate inkjoy 100's for choice of pen. The black ones are great for exams and are really smooth you can get 10 for around £2.50 they also do a coloured version which are amazing. On tesco atm you can get 18 coloured inkjoy pens for around £3.50 which can be click and collected in store. I got them and they are the best.

In english literature I made use of those small page marker post its quite a lot.
For psychology flash cards will be your best friend for revision.

You'll also probably require refill pads and ring binders for notes.

*The coloured gel/ball points are actually really useful to break up your notes and make them more user friendly. You can also assign like certain colours to certain AO's etc..
(edited 8 years ago)
A bucket to catch your tears would also be useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Laurasaur
The essentials (pen, pencil etc),
Folders with dividers,
Highlighters,
Post it notes and little sticky tabs (small post it notes) to stick in pages you need and write notes on,
Coloured pens (eg bic crystal fun colours),
Red and green pens for marking,
Many bookmarks.

The aim is to add colour to make your notes easy to read, and tabs and dividers to make it easy to locate the pages in your books that are important to reread or memorise. It's all a way to organise your work so that revision is easier and more efficient. :smile:

Thanks so much this was really helpful!
Reply 6
Original post by Guardianbright
Black ball point pens, coloured pens*, pencils/mechanical pencils, a range of highlighters, ruler, eraser, sharpner/graphite refills for mechan pencils.

I really like the paper mate inkjoy 100's for choice of pen. The black ones are great for exams and are really smooth you can get 10 for around £2.50 they also do a coloured version which are amazing. On tesco atm you can get 18 coloured inkjoy pens for around £3.50 which can be click and collected in store. I got them and they are the best.

In english literature I made use of those small page marker post its quite a lot.
For psychology flash cards will be your best friend for revision.

You'll also probably require refill pads and ring binders for notes.

*The coloured gel/ball points are actually really useful to break up your notes and make them more user friendly. You can also assign like certain colours to certain AO's etc..

Yeah, I was going to wait till the back to school sales start because broke lmao, thanks for helping out!
Reply 7
Lined paper. Loads and loads of lined paper.
Reply 8
Original post by amelimoo
Pen, ruler, rubber, pencil, HIGHLIGHTERS!! And a writing pad and folder if your school doesn't supply them, post it notes are also pretty handy for revision.

English lit tips - Start learning quotes as soon as you start the texts, write to the criteria of the mark scheme, and try and do additional essays when you can. I found Mindmaps were really helpful for remembering key info about themes and characters

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is english lit hard? the exam board I'm doing is OCR if that helps??
Is english lit hard? the exam board I'm doing is OCR if that helps??

I know this was a reply to the other guy but I may be able to help with this as I did english lit :smile: I did AQA though. English Literature is challenging in the sense that you can't do well unless you have the right analysis and exam skills. Anyone can be told analysis but being able to do it on your own is a different matter. My teacher told me that this is the thing hardest to teach and the people who aren't doing so well are the ones without this skill. Depending on your spec reading widely is often a must. Many people in my class thought they could get away with not reading the texts... they were wrong. Unlike maths,science etc.. you can't just memorise knowledge and do well.

That being said due to it's difficulty it's well respected and in my opinion one of the most enjoyable A levels. If you don't already love reading though you may find it hard.

One thing valued in English lit is the ability to give original opinions with confidence. Don't just parrot the analysis given by your teachers. To get a high grade you need to explore your own ideas and come up with your individual interpretation. Writing with a strong personal voice often is of a better quality.

I'm planning to study English Literature at university and I seriously love it but you HAVE to be dedicated to do well!

Hope I helped.
(edited 8 years ago)

Hi I will be studying a levels this year. Ny organisational system will be carrying one folder ith polly pockets for handouts, exercise book for lessons and my pencil case.
Reply 11
Original post by Guardianbright
I know this was a reply to the other guy but I may be able to help with this as I did english lit :smile: I did AQA though. English Literature is challenging in the sense that you can't do well unless you have the right analysis and exam skills. Anyone can be told analysis but being able to do it on your own is a different matter. My teacher told me that this is the thing hardest to teach and the people who aren't doing so well are the ones without this skill. Depending on your spec reading widely is often a must. Many people in my class thought they could get away with not reading the texts... they were wrong. Unlike maths,science etc.. you can't just memorise knowledge and do well.

That being said due to it's difficulty it's well respected and in my opinion one of the most enjoyable A levels. If you don't already love reading though you may find it hard.

One thing valued in English lit is the ability to give original opinions with confidence. Don't just parrot the analysis given by your teachers. To get a high grade you need to explore your own ideas and come up with your individual interpretation. Writing with a strong personal voice often is of a better quality.

I'm planning to study English Literature at university and I seriously love it but you HAVE to be dedicated to do well!

Hope I helped.

Thanks for helping out, I thought I was on track to get an A* in English literature but I actually got a B, I love English lit but I'm kinda doubting if I'm capable, I'm sure I'll do fine if I work hard enough :s
Reply 12
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
Hi I will be studying a levels this year. Ny organisational system will be carrying one folder ith polly pockets for handouts, exercise book for lessons and my pencil case.

I was thinking about bringing one ring binder, plastic wallets, notepads for each subject and my pencil case then transferring the work done on that day to different designated ring binders/ arch level files, hopefully its a good system.

Essentials would be biro pens, pencils, rubbers, ruler pencil sharpener etc.
- Folder with dividers, maybe one for each subject if you can
- packs of A4 lined paper
- sticky notes to add notes
- highlighters, coloured pens to makes notes and revision more interesting
- a hole puncher is useful for hand-outs
- hole reinforcer's for when things may tear out of your folder
- Revision cards/flash cards are useful to make throughout the year

As for tips, always keep your notes neat and tidy! Organisation will be key throughout A-levels. I've done my first year and I took history and psychology, I found it difficult to find my notes and specific things until I had organised my folders properly - it makes everything easier. Also, start revising early in the year to ensure you have enough time to go through everything thoroughly. I found past papers really useful for psychology revision, so try and get your hands on some of those! Hope this is useful, good luck :biggrin:
*STATIONERY sorry to be spelling police but I see this mistake all the time!
Original post by Sarah1999
*STATIONERY sorry to be spelling police but I see this mistake all the time!

Yeah, cuz the other sort (stationary) means to be still and not moving.
Reply 16

What career do you have in mind if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 17
Original post by b.l
What career do you have in mind if you don't mind me asking?

Journalism or a career in the media but I tend to change my mind so I don't have a specific career I'm going for.
I was thinking about bringing one ring binder, plastic wallets, notepads for each subject and my pencil case then transferring the work done on that day to different designated ring binders/ arch level files, hopefully its a good system.

Yeah that seems like a good idea. I would say put you neat notes into designated folders though because then you can revise from it instantly instead having to write neat notes again:smile: good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
Yeah that seems like a good idea. I would say put you neat notes into designated folders though because then you can revise from it instantly instead having to write neat notes again:smile: good luck!

Oh yeah, lol I just realised, thank you and good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest