The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Car Parking

Hi, I'm starting at the University of Bristol in September. The accommodation I've been given is 'Orchard Heights', it's new and it's in the city centre, with no on-site parking facilities. I was wondering if there is anywhere you can park your car for free? Potentially in other University halls?

Thanks
I'm perhaps not the best person to be answering this but I swear the only halls that have parking are ones set up for families or other students with special requirements. I'm not sure others have a decent amount of parking spaces, if at all.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by danieljlee
Hi, I'm starting at the University of Bristol in September. The accommodation I've been given is 'Orchard Heights', it's new and it's in the city centre, with no on-site parking facilities. I was wondering if there is anywhere you can park your car for free? Potentially in other University halls?

Thanks

I know Bristol fairly well (I've always lived close to Bristol) and would have thought that parking for free in the city centre going to be pretty much impossible. However, there are lots of charged car parks around and I believe Orchard Hights is near the Nelson Street properties in which case you want to look at the NPC car park near by. Double check it's location though because it's new I haven't much info on it and could be wrong. Parking is extremely limited in Bristol and year round car parking spaces can cost a lot of money as Bristol is somewhat anti-car (try using the bus station and you will understand what I mean) thanks to it's beloved mayor. If your just trying to get car parking so that you can move in to your residence your best option is one of the many car parks around; if it's year-round parking your looking at I hope you have some money saved up :P
Reply 3
Original post by danieljlee

As noted, parking in Bristol is difficult at the best of times -- much of the area around the University itself is either pay-and-display with a 3 hour maximum, or is a residents parking area for example. Bear in mind that you're living in a city centre, after all!

Where halls do have their own parking, it's very limited; and preference will be given to those who need a car (because of disability, for example). I think it's unlikely that they would allow people from other accommodation to park in their spaces if they can't meet demand from their own residents.

That said, you should look at why you (think you) need to bring a car with you. Other than travelling to and from Bristol at the start/end of term, why do you think you need one? Obviously a car is a "nice to have", but do you really need it?

You're not that far from Temple Meads railway station, and the services from there are pretty good.
Reply 4
Definitely not for free.
Unfortunately in halls you won't be able to apply for residents parking either.
Therefore if you have a proper reason for driving you could ask the university if they can allocate elsewhere at a hall if they have room; but likely your only option would be paying for a year's parking somewhere - one of the multi stories or privately have a look online. Multi story up at the triangle is about £1.5k though so..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Park for free in Bristol?

Not a chance. Street parking costs £2 an hour, and the multi-stories cost £10 a day.

Leave the car at home and get a bike. Or catch a bus like everyone else.
Reply 6
For pay and display parking, on Sunday it's free I think.
You don't NEED a car in Bristol.

The bus service is good and most students walk everywhere within the central area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending