The Student Room Group

is sociology a respected a level?

Is it?

Scroll to see replies

sorry to sound harsh but no, it's thought of as an easy subject that only 'non academic' people take, who end up at huddesfield or a metropolitan university. Id stick to the traditional subjects
No. Do History And Geography instead. Leave it for Uni.
Original post by mizzsnazzter
sorry to sound harsh but no, it's thought of as an easy subject that only 'non academic' people take, who end up at huddesfield or a metropolitan university. Id stick to the traditional subjects

Is sociology hard.
Reply 4
Original post by 08Mercyf
Is sociology hard.

It's much harder than STEM people assume let's just say...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is sociology hard.

Not especially if you know how to answer the questions. Though I know a lot of people who did English and really struggled with sociology because you have to go about it a different way.
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Not especially if you know how to answer the questions. Though I know a lot of people who did English and really struggled with sociology because you have to go about it a different way.

Do you thin a C grade English language student will struggle?
Original post by vices
It's much harder than STEM people assume let's just say...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know sociology is subjective but are your papers marked in terms of right and wrong or there is no correct answer?
Reply 8
no
Do you thin a C grade English language student will struggle?

I know sociology is subjective but are your papers marked in terms of right and wrong or there is no correct answer?

With a C you'd probably do ok. And it can be very subjective, especially if you use controversial examples... ultimately the markers are human and have different opinions and can interpret things differently. A girl in my class had a D in the exam, had it remarked and it turned into a B.
Reply 10

For some of the shorter marked questions it is pretty much either yes or no, but for the larger marked questions (e.g. 12 & 24 marks) it's open to interpretation, however you have to really know the content and lots of examples and how you can apply the content in the view of different sociologists (e.g. marxists, feminists etc.) If you can't do this, you're not going to get marked well.

However, many people that do other subjects such as maths and science are dropping sociology this year as they've found it harder than they expected so it's not just for humanities people only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do sociology at a level,and I enjoy for the most part of it.In terms of it being respected,well it is a bit frowned upon,however it is still seen as a academic subject,and trust me there is much more less respected subjects then sociology,so I wouldn't doubt it too much if that's what you are cautious about.Furthermore it does not appear on the blacklist http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Respected_A_Levels
With a C you'd probably do ok. And it can be very subjective, especially if you use controversial examples... ultimately the markers are human and have different opinions and can interpret things differently. A girl in my class had a D in the exam, had it remarked and it turned into a B.

Thanks for the reply and wow, from a D to a B at A level, what was the previous examiner thinking, how did she get a D beforehand?:s-smilie: did he not mark the rest of her papers properly?
Original post by vices
For some of the shorter marked questions it is pretty much either yes or no, but for the larger marked questions (e.g. 12 & 24 marks) it's open to interpretation, however you have to really know the content and lots of examples and how you can apply the content in the view of different sociologists (e.g. marxists, feminists etc.) If you can't do this, you're not going to get marked well.

However, many people that do other subjects such as maths and science are dropping sociology this year as they've found it harder than they expected so it's not just for humanities people only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool

Thanks for the reply.:smile:
Thanks for the reply and wow, from a D to a B at A level, what was the previous examiner thinking, how did she get a D beforehand?:s-smilie: did he not mark the rest of her papers properly?

It was all marked etc, our teacher had a look through it and said the mark was flat out wrong. It wasn't added up wrong or anything like that, the examiner just didn't think she deserved marks. She was a ridiculously capable student and was doing 5 A Levels so the idea of her getting a D when she was getting high marks in previous papers/essays was crazy.
Reply 15
Yes. Its a difficult subject, if you wanna do it , go for it.
No way, sociology is pretty easy, i memorised the book back to front and practiced applying AO1 and AO2 in essays and managed to get an A, you don't have to understand it or memorise dates (with AQA) you just need to know which sociologists fit with each topic.
I was getting D's E's and U's in my homework mocks and assessments and came out with an A
Yes, or at least it should be.

Original post by lenzkuye
Is it?

However, I read a Telegraph article yesterday, which completely discourages my view. Further, I read an answer on yahoo.com which went as far as advising to never pick a course like Psychology or Sociology.

Just to put it out there: I picked both! Both subjects are usually considered un respectable because they fail to meet the strict criteria of a 'traditional' subject.
Further, Anthony Seldon at Telegraph descibes Sociology as a 'soft subject', which doesn't comprehensively represent a student's academic ability, as in it's not challenging enough. Here's the title of the article: 'Facilitating subjects are at the heart of student learning'
Original post by mizzsnazzter

Clearly you didn't do sociology and you clearly have no knowledge of what the subject consists of. How dare you say 'non academic' people do it, some of the most intelligent and reputable people in the world studied sociology such as Ronald Reagan and Michelle Obama. You attitude towards this is disgusting to be brutally honest.

Having studied it myself, I suggest you explore sociology. It is great as you can relate it to some of the inequality and injustice that we see everyday. Sociology can widen your thoughts and get rid of narrow-minded ideas and construct intellectual arguments.
It was all marked etc, our teacher had a look through it and said the mark was flat out wrong. It wasn't added up wrong or anything like that, the examiner just didn't think she deserved marks. She was a ridiculously capable student and was doing 5 A Levels so the idea of her getting a D when she was getting high marks in previous papers/essays was crazy.

Cool.

Quick Reply

Latest