The Student Room Group

Can I go into Investment Banking Without A-Level Maths.

I chose Eco+History+Politics+Business Do I really need maths ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You don't need maths.
Original post by vela1
You don't need maths.

Which degree could i take which could lead me into doing investment banking ?
Reply 3
Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER
Which degree could i take which could lead me into doing investment banking ?

Any degree. Try to go to a target uni; oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick.
Original post by vela1

Without Maths Right ?
Reply 5
Without Maths Right ?

Yeah, any degree.
Original post by vela1
Yeah, any degree.

So it doesnt matter what degree you take you can still end up being an investment banker
Reply 7
So it doesnt matter what degree you take you can still end up being an investment banker

Yes as I've repeatedly told you. A common trait you'll find in bankers is they're very sharp. You're as blunt as they come so I don't think IB is for you.
Original post by vela1
Yes as I've repeatedly told you. A common trait you'll find in bankers is they're very sharp. You're as blunt as they come so I don't think IB is for you.

Thanks for your help :biggrin:
You'll find a lot of people in IB have done numerate degrees such as maths/economics etc. the reason for this is, is because people doing numerate degrees are more likely to have the traits IB employers are looking for e.g. problem solving skills etc. this is not to say they won't accept someone who hasn't done a numerate degree, but in order to give yourself the best chance, and likelihood that you hasve the skills they are looking for I would recommend you to take a level maths. you'll actually find quite a few employers such as pwc now actually ask for a level maths for their accountancy programmes etc and I personally think its such a useful one to do in order to not limit your career choices.

as a result I would recommend swapping either business/politics for a level maths, as both business/politics aren't 'typical traditional' subjects, therefore I would suggest just doing one and picking up a level maths. that way you will increase your chances of going to a good RG university and getting in to IB

Best of luck
The majority of them do. Why do you want to be an investment banker? Also why don't you do A level maths? To me it seems like you're not doing it because your not good enough and you just want to be an investment banker for the money... For starters drop either politics or business and do another facilitating subject, preferably a science if you're not doing maths. You only have one core option there in history which Is very good, but IB is extremely competetive and you need better subjects than those.

My advice is if yoh don't take maths you need to completely change at least two of your A levels and at least do a very well respected degree or your application is going straight in the bin.
best of luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vela1

He can apply. But whether he will get in is another matter especially with the competition. I think he should keep his chances up and do a numerate subject.

Original post by vela1
Yeah, any degree.

See above.

If they choose you.
Original post by mizzsnazzter
You'll find a lot of people in IB have done numerate degrees such as maths/economics etc. the reason for this is, is because people doing numerate degrees are more likely to have the traits IB employers are looking for e.g. problem solving skills etc. this is not to say they won't accept someone who hasn't done a numerate degree, but in order to give yourself the best chance, and likelihood that you hasve the skills they are looking for I would recommend you to take a level maths. you'll actually find quite a few employers such as pwc now actually ask for a level maths for their accountancy programmes etc and I personally think its such a useful one to do in order to not limit your career choices.

as a result I would recommend swapping either business/politics for a level maths, as both business/politics aren't 'typical traditional' subjects, therefore I would suggest just doing one and picking up a level maths. that way you will increase your chances of going to a good RG university and getting in to IB

Best of luck

Thanks So much for the info :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by alexp98
The majority of them do. Why do you want to be an investment banker? Also why don't you do A level maths? To me it seems like you're not doing it because your not good enough and you just want to be an investment banker for the money... For starters drop either politics or business and do another facilitating subject, preferably a science if you're not doing maths. You only have one core option there in history which Is very good, but IB is extremely competetive and you need better subjects than those.

My advice is if yoh don't take maths you need to completely change at least two of your A levels and at least do a very well respected degree or your application is going straight in the bin.
best of luck!

Thanks, I received an A for maths at GCSE but many people I know have failed and I didnt want to take that risk but now im considering of doing maths because everyone has their own abilities and have their weaknesses and strenghts and I shoudldnt compare myself with others, but i will choose Maths,Eco,History,Politics

Thanks For The Info and Help :biggrin: :smile:
Original post by vela1

first 8 posts of this thread are gold, ending with this perfect response
Thanks, I received an A for maths at GCSE but many people I know have failed and I didnt want to take that risk but now im considering of doing maths because everyone has their own abilities and have their weaknesses and strenghts and I shoudldnt compare myself with others, but i will choose Maths,Eco,History,Politics

Thanks For The Info and Help :biggrin: :smile:

Good choice of subjects
Reply 16
Original post by alexp98

best of luck!

Only one core subject? So you saying economics is not one of them. Lmfao some people make me laugh on here
Reply 17
Original post by vela1

Any degree? I don't think so
Hi,
I suggest you do A-Level maths because firstly, the best routes into IB are through a degree in Maths, Eco or an Engineering degree. To do all of these degree's you HAVE TO have done Maths A Level otherwise securing a place on these degree's will be hard. Yes, even for Eco Maths is required. Also, your taking Eco & Business Studies? They both are very similar A-Levels and I don't think uni's would prefer this. Yes Eco is more respected than BS but it really depends on you as a person. Eco is very hard compared to Business Studies. I chose Eco thinking it would have a lot of Maths, but it did not really. I did not enjoy the subject as well. Think carefully between Bus and Eco, do a LOT of research. Don't choose Eco because it is respected etc. If you enjoy the subject you are likely to do well.
Also I've noticed Uni's get irritated when students choose subjects based around the subject too much which you have done. They like at least 1 subject that is unique. Try switching either His or G&P for something else like Socio or English Lit (this can help you with your essay skills in Hist & Eco) ?
I hope this helps!
Original post by Yousf
Only one core subject? So you saying economics is not one of them. Lmfao some people make me laugh on here

having Eco is not a core requirement compared to Maths, not sure about Hist.

Quick Reply

Latest