The Student Room Group

my results

i am disappointed that i got an a in physics, biology and chemistry and english literature. if you could please tell me by how many marks i missed from an a star , it would be a pleasure as i could remark it again. i would have done it y self but i dont understand the concept of ums especially with english lit.
thank you so much

BIOLOGY = UMS = 355
CHEMISTRY = UMS = 352
PHYSICS = UMS = 344
ENGLISH LIT = UMS = 177

thanks once again

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im going to assume your sciences are out of 400 UMS and that English is out of 200;
In this case your marks off A*s are as follows:

Biology - 5 UMS
Chemistry - 8 UMS
Physics - 16 UMS
English Lit - 3 UMS

If i were you i would consider remarks for English Literature and possibly Biology as they are the closest to A*s, but that's of course up to you.
Good Luck
Original post by papajani1234
i am disappointed that i got an a in physics, biology and chemistry and english literature. if you could please tell me by how many marks i missed from an a star , it would be a pleasure as i could remark it again. i would have done it y self but i dont understand the concept of ums especially with english lit.
thank you so much

BIOLOGY = UMS = 355
CHEMISTRY = UMS = 352
PHYSICS = UMS = 344
ENGLISH LIT = UMS = 177

thanks once again

Do you know the UMS English lit is out of or the exam board?
thank you so much

BIOLOGY = UMS = 355
CHEMISTRY = UMS = 352
PHYSICS = UMS = 344
ENGLISH LIT = UMS = 177

thanks once again

Bio- 5 UMS off A*
Chem- 8 UMS off A*
Phys- 16 UMS off A*
Eng Lit- 3 UMS off A* (I think)

You'd have to tell me what you got in each exam to have an idea of how many raw marks
Reply 4
Original post by Calzs34

thats the thing i dont know when i check it says 68 and 54 for unit 1 and 2. but can you tell me if i can find out my raw marks from my ums?
Also, do you know what paper you're going to have remarked of each science? And the person above me has only stated the UMS, which are not marks by the way.
Reply 6
Original post by RadonGhost
Bio- 5 UMS off A*
Chem- 8 UMS off A*
Phys- 16 UMS off A*
Eng Lit- 3 UMS off A* (I think)

You'd have to tell me what you got in each exam to have an idea of how many raw marks

sorry they only gave me the subject and my ums and then the grade :frown:
thats the thing i dont know when i check it says 68 and 54 for unit 1 and 2. but can you tell me if i can find out my raw marks from my ums?

Which exam board ?
Reply 8
Original post by Calzs34

yes its aqa
Reply 9
Original post by Calzs34
Which exam board ?

AQA
AQA

72/80 UMS on unit 1 equates to 53/68 marks. For unit 1 the grade boundaries were 53 and 45, for A* and A retrospectively.

63/70 UMS on unit 2 equates to 39marks/54. The grade boundaries for this are 32 A, 39 A*.

Your UMS would be 135/150 which would be an A* by 0 marks, A* being 135 and A being 120,

Was there another unit? This doesn't seem to add up to 177 UMS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Calzs34
68/80 UMS on unit 1 equates to 49/68 marks. For unit 1 the grade boundaries were 53 and 45, for A* and A retrospectively.

54/70 UMS on unit 2 equates to 30marks/54. The grade boundaries for this are 25 B, 32 A, 39 A*.

Your UMS would be 122/150 which would be an A by 2 marks, A* being 135 and A being 120,

Was there another unit? This doesn't seem to add up to 177 UMS.

plus i only had unit 1 (higher) and unit 2 (higher )

when i searched it myself:
unit 1 requires 53 marks for an a star
unit 2 requires 39 for an a star
ums for unit 1 = 72
uma for unit 2= 63
add them up = 135 UMS
and i got 177 ! just doesnt make sense to me
plus i only had unit 1 (higher) and unit 2 (higher )

when i searched it myself:
unit 1 requires 53 marks for an a star
unit 2 requires 39 for an a star
ums for unit 1 = 72
uma for unit 2= 63
add them up = 135 UMS
and i got 177 ! just doesnt make sense to me

Oh 72 and 63, this changes things. I'll edit my post above to give your RAW grades. Perhaps there was coursework?

Raw marks are added ^
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Calzs34
Oh 72 and 63, this changes things. I'll edit my post above to give your RAW grades. Perhaps there was coursework?

yes and i got an a star in all my courseworks
yes and i got an a star in all my courseworks

On your result sheet is there anything else relating to UMS for english lit or another unit?

Perhaps your coursework was moderated down?
Reply 15
Original post by Calzs34
On your result sheet is there anything else relating to UMS for english lit or another unit?

Perhaps your coursework was moderated down?

nope nothing regarding my coursework, but even if i can get a hold of the ums for an a star (minimum) that would be great. aqa is really annoying,
nope nothing regarding my coursework, but even if i can get a hold of the ums for an a star (minimum) that would be great. aqa is really annoying,

Well of the two units you've posted you got 135/150 which is an A*.

Your raw marks where 53 for unit 1 and 39 for unit 2, which was directly on the boundary.
Reply 17
Original post by Calzs34
Well of the two units you've posted you got 135/150 which is an A*.

Your raw marks where 53 for unit 1 and 39 for unit 2, which was directly on the boundary.

so it should be an a star ???
so it should be an a star ???

Well no, because you got 177 UMS in total, so there has to be another unit. Perhaps it was out of 50 and you got 42? Giving you 177/200, I'm not sure though.
Reply 19
Original post by Calzs34
Well no, because you got 177 UMS in total, so there has to be another unit. Perhaps it was out of 50 and you got 42? Giving you 177/200, I'm not sure though.

oh alright ok, thank you very much for your help :smile: much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest