The Student Room Group

Can I get a remark of my controlled assessment?

I got:
Unit 1 urdu A* 57/60 ums = 37/40
Unit 2 urdu A* 57/60 = 38/40
Unit 3 urdu A* 90/90 = 60/60
Unit 4 urdu C 59/90 = 44/60

Overall A grade - 7ums off A*, but will need to get 9ums (or 4-5 raw marks). However my unit 3 and 4 are controlled assessments. In my school controlled assessments are first marked in school and if you are not happy with your result you can retake the controlled assessment. But in my case, since the teacher could not speak the language, my controlled assessments were sent straight away to the exam board to be marked. I feel as if it was unfair, because I could not retake my units if I knew I did so bad.

My unit 4 is also highly unanticipated, this is because urdu is my first language and I know I definitely should not have got a C - at least a A or a very high B.

SO guys here is the question, since I had a different controlled assessment procedure, do you think my unit 4 could have been mis-marked or not marked at all?

SO can I get my controlled assessment remarked, because my teacher did not mark it?
Reply 1
Urgent Please help
Reply 2
Original post by BULL14
SO can I get my controlled assessment remarked, because my teacher did not mark it?

You can get re-marks of exam board marked controlled assessment.
Reply 3
Does this apply to me:
Source Edexcel website: ''We can't remoderate a controlled assessment for an individual or remoderate work where we didn't change your teacher's mark. Controlled assessments can be remoderated if we changed the marks given by your teacher, but it is down to your school to decide whether to request this. Your school or college will need to base their decision as to whether to request remoderation on what is best for the majority of students. When we receive a request for remoderation, the work of all students originally entered at your school or college goes through the moderation process again. This means that changes made to grades during remoderation may affect all students who submitted work. If your school has decided not to submit controlled assessments for remoderation, you will need to discuss this directly with them as we can’t overturn their decision. The rules around marking, moderating and remoderating coursework and controlled assessments are agreed jointly by the major UK awarding organisations. They are in place to ensure that all students are treated equally, regardless of the awarding organisation used for their subject.''
Reply 4
Original post by BULL14
I got:
Unit 1 urdu A* 57/60 ums = 37/40
Unit 2 urdu A* 57/60 = 38/40
Unit 3 urdu A* 90/90 = 60/60
Unit 4 urdu C 59/90 = 44/60

Unit 4 (Writing) is always marked by Edexcel (the spec says so here http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Urdu/2009/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UG030020_GCSE_in_Urdu_Spec_2012.pdf on p5) and you can get a re-mark of it.
Reply 5
Original post by BULL14
Does this apply to me:

No. As the writing unit is always marked by Edexcel, moderation dosn't come into it.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
No. As the writing unit is always marked by Edexcel, moderation dosn't come into it.

U r a star, I thank you for the time on my behalf (thus I give you rep points)

However it say:''This unit is set and marked by the centre and moderated by Edexcel'' So it is not ''always marked by edexcel.

DO you think I have any chance of it being remarked
Reply 7
Original post by BULL14
However it say:''This unit is set and marked by the centre and moderated by Edexcel'' So it is not ''always marked by edexcel.

That's for Unit 2 (speaking). for unit 4 it says: "Work is marked by Edexcel."

Talk to your school about re-marking. An Edexcel GCSE re-mark costs £23.20.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
That's for Unit 2 (speaking). for unit 4 it says: "Work is marked by Edexcel."

Talk to your school about re-marking. An Edexcel GCSE re-mark costs £23.20.

Thankyou again
Do you think it is worth a remark, when I am 4 raw marks away from an A*.

Also do you think this rule will apply to me:
Source Edexcel website: ''We can't remoderate a controlled assessment for an individual or remoderate work where we didn't change your teacher's mark. Controlled assessments can be remoderated if we changed the marks given by your teacher, but it is down to your school to decide whether to request this. Your school or college will need to base their decision as to whether to request remoderation on what is best for the majority of students. When we receive a request for remoderation, the work of all students originally entered at your school or college goes through the moderation process again. This means that changes made to grades during remoderation may affect all students who submitted work. If your school has decided not to submit controlled assessments for remoderation, you will need to discuss this directly with them as we can’t overturn their decision. The rules around marking, moderating and remoderating coursework and controlled assessments are agreed jointly by the major UK awarding organisations. They are in place to ensure that all students are treated equally, regardless of the awarding organisation used for their subject.''

I am so sorry I just want to be satisfied that I can get it remarked and get the star
Funny! This happened to me! I had full UMS in all 3 units and then my 4th was really low! Strange huh? Something fishy....I got full marks in the writing too....so it makes no sense!

Skips :smile:
Reply 10
Remark =/= a grade higher you South Korean.

Quick Reply

Latest