The Student Room Group

I wish I was a smart Asian...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Man.bear.pig
i'm sorry you feel that way. i try to be as respectful as possible when I'm ordering takeaway.

Pft, jerk

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm being serious. You said they only get respect in academics, well I respect them in restaurants too :s-smilie:
Original post by 1295084
Wouldn't that be a good thing though? It must feel good to get good grades all the time and to know that you'll eventually get on to do a good degree. I would love that.

Thats how i try to look at it. But good grades dont mean anything after a while. When people are doing 6 a-levels and get all A*s i feel how you feel. Like i just want to be better. I felt completely isolated throughout sixth form. I worked right through lunchtime. All the time literally. I forgot to eat. The joints in my right hand were so swollen from writing too much. I developed depression which has somehow managed to destroy every aspect of my life so even though i have the grades to go far, the feeling that im never good enough means i have no motivation to actually use my skills. Anyway im getting past it, and the fact that im moving out means my parents are actually appreciating me as a person rather than someone to boast about to their friends (attention terrifies me so this was no fun).
Phew sorry, didnt mean to sob like that. Just been a bum couple years. It happens.

Also i realise this doesnt have much to do with being asian.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm being serious. You said they only get respect in academics, well I respect them in restaurants too :s-smilie:

Prsom. You other reply made me hahahahahahaha
Original post by Pomum96
Prsom. You other reply made me hahahahahahaha

stop i'm being so srs right now lol
i dont throw food at the window you know
stop i'm being so srs right now lol
i dont throw food at the window you know

The asian community is honoured to be in your company. You're our favourite.
Reply 27
Original post by Pomum96
Thats how i try to look at it. But good grades dont mean anything after a while. When people are doing 6 a-levels and get all A*s i feel how you feel. Like i just want to be better. I felt completely isolated throughout sixth form. I worked right through lunchtime. All the time literally. I forgot to eat. The joints in my right hand were so swollen from writing too much. I developed depression which has somehow managed to destroy every aspect of my life so even though i have the grades to go far, the feeling that im never good enough means i have no motivation to actually use my skills. Anyway im getting past it, and the fact that im moving out means my parents are actually appreciating me as a person rather than someone to boast about to their friends (attention terrifies me so this was no fun).
Phew sorry, didnt mean to sob like that. Just been a bum couple years. It happens.

Wow do people actually do 6 A-levels?

I see where you're coming from though- it is difficult when you constantly feel inferior to others. (Thank God I'm not the only one)

On the bright side.. at least you're moving out :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by Pomum96

truee
Original post by Pomum96
The asian community is honoured to be in your company. You're our favourite.

woot.

Original post by 1295084
truee

yea it's not genetics to be smart. but we Asians do take a lot of pride in education.
did you know that teacher=gurujee for Indians? that is higher respect than the mother and father :yy:
and Koreans have national Teacher Appreciation Day where they must bring them gifts.
why Chinese?
I know a lot of butthead Chinese people

@Proxenus/@The_Blade

I might not seem like it lol but you know Will from the Inbetweeners? I'm a pair of specs and virginity away from being him as far as taking my education and academic career seriously. And I'm desi/Indian, not Chinese :colonhash:

:toofunny:
Original post by stableintegral
:toofunny:

hello you.
hello you.

:teehee:
I am Chinese. not everyone has good grades and its so tired under the Chinese education system
Original post by Pomum96
I am a smart asian who just wants to be smarter so my parents like me. They've decided which degree im doing and i gave in because my dad was giving me the cold shoulder and he was blaming mum for my 'disobedience'. The household runs on my grades. It is the only source of love or happiness.

You have my condolences...

Don't you have any siblings to aid you in starting a rebellion against your parent? :mob:
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
You have my condolences...

Don't you have any siblings to aid you in starting a rebellion against your parent? :mob:

My sibling is not nice and i dont want to upset mum. I dont have a bad life. I understand why people envy me. Ive just had a painful few years for many different reasons so academic expectations felt like a lot of pressure when dealing with other problems. Im sure people can relate.
Original post by Pomum96
I am a smart asian who just wants to be smarter so my parents like me. They've decided which degree im doing and i gave in because my dad was giving me the cold shoulder and he was blaming mum for my 'disobedience'. The household runs on my grades. It is the only source of love or happiness.

Hahaa my ma and pa wanted me to be a doctor but I stood firm 🐭
Original post by Pomum96
My sibling is not nice and i dont want to upset mum. I dont have a bad life. I understand why people envy me. Ive just had a painful few years for many different reasons so academic expectations felt like a lot of pressure when dealing with other problems. Im sure people can relate.

Why do people envy you? It's hard enough that you feel that the only way to feel compassion from your parent is via good grades..
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Why do people envy you? It's hard enough that you feel that the only way to feel compassion from your parent is via good grades..

I dont tell people things, apart from on here apparently. When i lost my auntie i told a few friends but soon after that 2 other relatives died and i felt silly bringing these things up. I hid mental health problems (not always successfully but i dont think people know the full extent), ended up hiding scarred arms. But my friends still asked me for advice on everything as if i must always have the answer, and looked up to me, from grades to how i do my eye makeup. They say im lucky because my future will be better than theirs, that i'll get a good job. And i dont want to argue with that because sometimes you need someone to admire and im not sure how to go about shattering that image.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
I think some of the people here should watch an amazing movie called '3 Idiots'.

Quick Reply

Latest