The Student Room Group

Really upset with my art grade?

I worked really really hard for my art gcse and I even had help from my grandma who was an a level art teacher. Everyone thought I was going to get a A* and my teachers said I didn't have anything else that I needed to do.

So I'm really upset I got an A, 254 mark equiv so not even close! I'm so confused and I now feel terrified because I want to go into an art based career and I couldn't even get a bloody star at gcse! All I can think of is the fact that the whole of my year ten work was lost at school so I had to redo it all (so my first topic doesn't really have a lot of development to its piece but it still had two pages in my book and a massive sheet of experimentation!

I feel really gutted can anyone cheer me up? I'm feeling terrible rn.
You said it yourself. Your original work was lost so you needed to rush it. Anyway, you still got an A. Loads of my friends who are amazing at art of all kinds barely scraped B's and I'm pretty sure that the number of people in my year when I was in year 11 who got A*s could be counted on one hand.

With the exception on Maths and English, GCSEs will have little impact on the rest of your life. Trust me. Getting an A in art suggests to me that you will do well if you go down the artists path :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Art is just one of those annoying ones that's really subjective and down to opinion.

Skips :smile:
Original post by Moonstruck16
You said it yourself. Your original work was lost so you needed to rush it. Anyway, you still got an A. Loads of my friends who are amazing at art of all kinds barely scraped B's and I'm pretty sure that the number of people in my year when I was in year 11 who got A*s could be counted on one hand.

With the exception on Maths and English, GCSEs will have little impact on the rest of your life. Trust me. Getting an A in art suggests to me that you will do well if you go down the artists path :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks:smile: i was the only person in my school to get an A, the next highest grade was a b and the average was a D/C (we had a hopeless teacher so we didnt even know there was a spec.)

This was really comforting i was scared i wouldnt be good enouh for this career.
Original post by evealice
I know a lot of people have who have gone on to do Art at Uni when they didn't have an A at GCSE. A-Level Coursework and developing an amazing portfolio is what is important so just focus on that and forget about the past!

Got it!!
Original post by CplSkippy
Art is just one of those annoying ones that's really subjective and down to opinion.

Skips :smile:

Especially when you were very good. Like honestly the grandchild of an artist so youve had a lot of training good. (Ill show some of my work if anyone wants to see an student who tried but still failed lol).
Reply 6
You aren't meant to get help, it is what you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
an A is still really good :smile:especially for art because the grade boundaries are so high (74/80 for an A*)
Do not let a grade decide how good you are!
Firstly, an A is amazing! and that's great for an Art career. You honestly shouldn't be upset. I know it means a lot but you just need to think onwards and upwards!
Goodluck with the future. X

Quick Reply

Latest