Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm going to a London university in September and I'll be commuting in from the outskirts of Greater London, taking the train and tube. My first thought was to get a student railcard (16-25 railcard, which apparently as a student I can get even though I'm over 25 now :P ) However, on their website it says that the discounts don't apply to season tickets, and the only Travelcards mentioned are the dailies.

Does this mean that I couldn't use the railcard to buy discounted monthly Travelcards for the zones that I need? If so, any suggestions? Full fares are expensive. :/

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leksaa)
    Hi!

I'm going to a London university in September and I'll be commuting in from the outskirts of Greater London, taking the train and tube. My first thought was to get a student railcard (16-25 railcard, which apparently as a student I can get even though I'm over 25 now :P ) However, on their website it says that the discounts don't apply to season tickets, and the only Travelcards mentioned are the dailies.

Does this mean that I couldn't use the railcard to buy discounted monthly Travelcards for the zones that I need? If so, any suggestions? Full fares are expensive. :/

Thanks for any help!
    Hey the railcard only applies to daily tickets. However, if you live in London it may be worth getting a student oyster photocard as that will give you a 30% discount on season tickets. Also it only costs £20, whereas the railcard costs £30 and is for trains outside London.
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...ons/18-student

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant! Just what I need - thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 22, 2015
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.