The Student Room Group

Mathematics at UCL

What are my chances of getting into UCL for maths with these grades?

I'm taking a gap year and will be resitting 2 further maths modules and some physics modules. Hoping to come out with A*A*A

I have:

Mathematics: A*
Further Mathematics: C (having exams remarked)
Physics: C ( I sat the 2 years in 1)

UMS for maths:

C1: 90
C2: 94
C3: 100
C4: 84
S1: 93
S2: 47
Reply 1
Original post by Rhyssmith

I'm taking a gap year and will be resitting 2 further maths modules and some physics modules. Hoping to come out with A*A*A

I have:

UMS for maths:

I literally just got rejected by UCL last week for getting A*A*B with the B being a few marks off an A in chemistry and the A*s in maths and FMaths. But if you think you can achieve 3A*s then dont stop trying. Just resit and reapply.you have very high UMS grades, its obvious that you only messed up on a stats paper. so dont give up, it is possible.
Reply 2

I have:

UMS for maths:

To be honest I wouldn't expect the further maths to go up from a remark. Maths is the most accurately marked subject.

As for UCL. I got A*AB (now A*AA after remark) initially with the A*A in maths and further maths and I emailed them about my chances of getting in. Here's what they said

Thank you for this enquiry.Your current grades would make your application relatively week I am afraid. We have made offer to applicants who are retaking and have A*A*B with strong A* grades in M&FM. We have also, more rarely, made offers to A*AA applicants who have a strong overall application and a good reason for the A in FM. I am not saying that you will not receive an offer, but simply that it is not at all guaranteed.Robert BowlesAdmissions TutorMathematics, UCL
Reply 3
Original post by Recky101
I literally just got rejected by UCL last week for getting A*A*B with the B being a few marks off an A in chemistry and the A*s in maths and FMaths. But if you think you can achieve 3A*s then dont stop trying. Just resit and reapply.you have very high UMS grades, its obvious that you only messed up on a stats paper. so dont give up, it is possible.

I take it, UCL was your firm? May I ask what your UMS was when you applied?

I kind of want to give it a punt but I don't know if it will be worth it.

I'll give them an email and explain the situation and see what they come back with.

Also, do UCL ask for UMS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kprime2
To be honest I wouldn't expect the further maths to go up from a remark. Maths is the most accurately marked subject.

As for UCL. I got A*AB (now A*AA after remark) initially with the A*A in maths and further maths and I emailed them about my chances of getting in. Here's what they said

It's the WJEC board and they're notorious for screwing up. I'm only 0.5% (3 UMS) off a B. I have ~90% in all modules of further maths apart from 2 which brought me from A*-ish territory to a C. If I resit them I know I can get an A*.

Thanks for that. I'll email them anyway and see what they say.
I think mathematics at UCL is great, especially after Roger Penrose studied there.
Reply 6

I'll give them an email and explain the situation and see what they come back with.

Maths ums:

C1: 97C2: 87C3: 99C4: 96S1: 86M1: 93

FP1:75
FP2:93
M2:100
M3:81
S2:99
S3:80
Reply 7

I have:

UMS for maths:

What about for STEP? They require at least a grade 2.
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
What about for STEP? They require at least a grade 2.

I haven't sat a STEP paper. I have the year out and will prepare for it if I get an offer.
Reply 9
Original post by Recky101
Maths ums:

C1: 97C2: 87C3: 99C4: 96S1: 86M1: 93

FP1:75
FP2:93
M2:100
M3:81
S2:99
S3:80

Quite similar to mine. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply