Bristol

Lets figure out the demographics of the new bristol undergrads

Poll

What are you

Tick the ones that apply

its anonymous btw so dw
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wasn't expecting this result at all considering Bristol has one of the highest intake of public school students in the UK
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Prehaps TSR is disproportionately browsed by state schoolers ;P

Although it's nice to see state schooled students get in, well done to everyone who made it!
I think the large private school population is born out of Bristol being "an acceptable alternative to Oxbridge". You'll probably be able to get the actual figures with a Freedom of Information request given they'll have made all the decisions of who to admit by now.
Original post by Edwin Okli
I think the large private school population is born out of Bristol being "an acceptable alternative to Oxbridge". You'll probably be able to get the actual figures with a Freedom of Information request given they'll have made all the decisions of who to admit by now.

I have a feeling they fudge their stats a little bit when it comes to school admissions. I think they like to discount international students (lots of whom are privatly educated) and it's also tricky to classify selective but state funded schools like the grammar schools. Technically they're state schools, but many will have more in coming with public schools than your bog-stranded comprehensive.

FoI requests do work, someone puts one in every couple of years and the archive is available online.

EDIT: I think the official stats stand at approximately 59.9% state and 40.1% private.
(edited 8 years ago)
Related - http://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2015/03/25/churchill-officially-poshest-halls-residence-15211

I *think* it came from UoB's website but I can't seem to find it now.
Original post by spleenharvester
Related - http://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2015/03/25/churchill-officially-poshest-halls-residence-15211

I *think* it came from UoB's website but I can't seem to find it now.

I was going to post that article but I'm too afraid to quote The Tab after it produced this fantastic piece of click-bait: http://thetab.com/uk/oxford/2014/01/17/why-private-schools-are-better-14610
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
I was going to post that article but I'm too afraid to quote The Tab after it produced this fantastic piece of click-bait: http://thetab.com/uk/oxford/2014/01/17/why-private-schools-are-better-14610

Mmm, The Tab easily surpasses tuition fees as the most compelling reason not to go to university. Unfortunately there is never any escaping it, lol.
''Unfortunately there is never any escaping it''

So true..
I think I made the wrong uni choice I should've gone with Leeds..
Original post by hexagonalRod
I think I made the wrong uni choice I should've gone with Leeds..

Ha! I wished that I took my clearing offer for Law at UWE when I first got to Bristol, but over time I found my own way of dealing with all the private schoolers. I realised that it's not the fact that someone went to a private school that I disliked, it was just individuals with perceptions and opinions that I found astonishing. You've got to let people speak before you judge them, it is unfair to blanket-label someone just because of their background.

In addition, Leeds hasn't got the Wills memorial building. There's literally no point going there.. or anywhere else come to think of it.
Ha! I wished that I took my clearing offer for Law at UWE when I first got to Bristol, but over time I found my own way of dealing with all the private schoolers. I realised that it's not the fact that someone went to a private school that I disliked, it was just individuals with perceptions and opinions that I found astonishing. You've got to let people speak before you judge them, it is unfair to blanket-label someone just because of their background.

In addition, Leeds hasn't got the Wills memorial building. There's literally no point going there.. or anywhere else come to think of it.

Haha, I did a year in industry right after a levels and all my housemates(also doing year in industry) were from private (boarding) schools so I know exactly what they're like :smile: it's always interesting to read between the lines and see why people think the way they do but I haven't been in a good mindset so would like to mix in a friendly considerate bunch of people
I've met plenty of private schoolers and they never seemed that different to those of us who went to state school. It's hardly a big of a deal as people make out.
I've met plenty of private schoolers and they never seemed that different to those of us who went to state school. It's hardly a big of a deal as people make out.

yeah theyre good at time organisation and are better prepared for learning :smile:
yeah theyre good at time organisation and are better prepared for learning :smile:

''Better prepared for learning''

From what I saw in first year, it was the privately schooled who tended to party the most and were always hungover. :P
''Better prepared for learning''

From what I saw in first year, it was the privately schooled who tended to party the most and were always hungover. :P

Yes of course but they are given adequate training at school- they know how to utilise their time more efficiently and are very strategic with their learning processes - they have a good mindset
Yes of course but they are given adequate training at school- they know how to utilise their time more efficiently and are very strategic with their learning processes - they have a good mindset

So are we state schooler's, in fact we're not trained, we had to learn this stuff for ourselves. No one taught me to balance my study/work/social life! No one taught me how to revise! No one taught me half of my sociology A-level because the teacher quit their job and ran off! If I wasn't strategic or had a good mindset I would never have made it as far as I have.

I'm sorry if I come across overly-critical, I just get lively when people start making generalisations that private schooled pupils are better. It's in my nature, you can imagine how fun politics seminars are with me :P
So are we state schooler's, in fact we're not trained, we had to learn this stuff for ourselves. No one taught me to balance my study/work/social life! No one taught me how to revise! No one taught me half of my sociology A-level because the teacher quit their job and ran off! If I wasn't strategic or had a good mindset I would never have made it as far as I have.

I'm sorry if I come across overly-critical, I just get lively when people start making generalisations that private schooled pupils are better. It's in my nature, you can imagine how fun politics seminars are with me :P

Obviously it varies by individual - but I think the fact that private schoolers make up a similar proportion to state schoolers despite there being far less of them in the UK population somehow backs up his/her point!

Well you just said what i was saying basically.. i wasnt saying private school pupils are better and it is in no way fair for people to give preference to private schools as such. It is good to be informed of the circumstances us state schoolers come from, because if we are well informed there would be more understanding in work places etc

Look up Akala and racism on youtube, he talks about races but the same philosophy can be applied here
Obviously it varies by individual - but I think the fact that private schoolers make up a similar proportion to state schoolers despite there being far less of them in the UK population somehow backs up his/her point!

I probably haven't made myself clear.

Naturally the private schoolers at Bristol are better than the national student population at large (hence your point about them doing better) but my issue lies with trying to compare the state and private student population in Bristol University. I find it hard to say that one half of the student body is better than the other when they've both achieved broadly the same and all ended up at Bristol.

I hope that cleared it up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending