The Student Room Group

What type of engineering do you do???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi people, i was just wondering what type of engineering you do and why you think it's better than the others. Just wanna know what type of engineering is popular:yep:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gfizzle225
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi people, i was just wondering what type of engineering you do and why you think it's better than the others. Just wanna know what type of engineering is popular:yep:

Degree was in mechanical, mainly doing structural at the moment. Don't think any discipline is really "better" than the others. They're all needed.

On TSR chemical engineering is probably the most popular.
Reply 2
When is one allowed to call themselves an engineer? I made a gearbox yesterday, that's technically mechanical engineering.
Mechanical...doing the course has actually opened my eyes into how much "engineering" goes into making the simplest things like pencils and whatnot. At my uni (Sheffield) I think the mech eng department is the biggest department but idk how it is for other unis...the "best" one is whichever you're most interested in tho, just as Smack said all of them are needed
Reply 4
I'm starting Materials Engineering in Loughborough next month.

And Materials is the best type of engineering, what can you build without materials? :biggrin:
Original post by Summit
I'm starting Materials Engineering in Loughborough next month.

And Materials is the best type of engineering, what can you build without materials? :biggrin:

What do you build the things that build the materials with? What is your favorite material?

2am Friday night, ****ing getting while on tsr
Original post by Summit

it's not like you're going to be creating materials left right and centre mate...
Reply 7
Original post by Plutonian
When is one allowed to call themselves an engineer? I made a gearbox yesterday, that's technically mechanical engineering.

You're a technician not an engineer.
But if you designed a gearbox then you'd be an engineer.
Want to do chemica.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
On TSR chemical engineering is probably the most popular.

Do you think so? The mech eng thread has more posts overall.
Chemical here
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
You're a technician not an engineer.
But if you designed a gearbox then you'd be an engineer.

I did draw the design.
Reply 12
I did draw the design.

Welcome, Engineer. :smile:
Reply 13
Reply 14
Original post by jneill
Welcome, Engineer. :smile:

It's not a very good gearbox though. Not sure if it's even a gearbox, it's a box with gears?
box with gears.JPG
Reply 15
It's not a very good gearbox though. Not sure if it's even a gearbox, it's a box with gears?
box with gears.JPG

http://www.matscieng.sunysb.edu/disaster/
Reply 16

uh well if it did fail it would be because the weak plastic axle failed. can't see anything else wrong with it apart from the gear teeth not being involute and that would just lead to an efficiency loss.
Reply 17
uh well if it did fail it would be because the weak plastic axle failed. can't see anything else wrong with it apart from the gear teeth not being involute and that would just lead to an efficiency loss.

Defo engineer.
Reply 18
Aerospace!
Designed and made a surveillance drone during university, it didnt fly =P
Original post by jneill
Do you think so? The mech eng thread has more posts overall.

That thread mainly consists of about four of us, and is several years old now. The chemical engineering applicant thread for 2015 alone, while not containing as many posts as the solitary mech eng thread, probably has far more posters, and gets repeated each year. Chemical engineering is also a favourite fifth choice of medicine applicants.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest