The Student Room Group

Is 24k a decent starting salary?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Man.bear.pig
ok. are you jealous?

How would you infer that? I was merely pointing out a statistical trend.
Original post by Juichiro
How would you infer that? I was merely pointing out a statistical trend.

why would you feel the need to though
you don't even know what i do, how long I've been doing it, how well I do it..
Outside of London that would be a fantastic start. In London however, you will have to be safer with your spending. Though put it this way. You're in a job that probably will allow you to progress and climb the ladder. Most of the country is stuck working the crap shift at some dead end minimum wage job. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones who has actually made it.
Original post by Man.bear.pig
why would you feel the need to though
you don't even know what i do, how long I've been doing it, how well I do it..

Love it when people react to stats by talking about their individual experiences. Statistics is about trends not about particular individuals. I don't need to know what you do, how long, etc? The only fact I need is whether or not you are a graduate. And told me you are not. That's all I need to conclude that you are less likely to hit 23K than graduates. Plus your average earnings over your lifetime will peak earlier than those of graduates. :smile:

Statistics 101: some folks (whose statistical literacy I doubt) are likely to conflate a statistical rule with a set theoretical statement where Me is a member of of the class of individuals for whom, by some irrational (hence invalid) argument, conclusions based on inferential statistics are inapplicable. :redface:
Original post by Juichiro
Love it when people react to stats by talking about their individual experiences. Statistics is about trends not about particular individuals. I don't need to know what you do, how long, etc? The only fact I need is whether or not you are a graduate. And told me you are not. That's all I need to conclude that you are less likely to hit 23K than graduates. Plus your average earnings over your lifetime will peak earlier than those of graduates. :smile:

Statistics 101: some folks (whose statistical literacy I doubt) are likely to conflate a statistical rule with a set theoretical statement where Me is a member of of the class of individuals for whom, by some irrational (hence invalid) argument, conclusions based on inferential statistics are inapplicable. :redface:

I'll read this later
It's very good. Don't listen to that nonsense about 25-30k starting salaries for grads, that only applies to those small percentage of top tier blue chip schemes which most people aren't on.

24k is very good. Take it.

However, this depends what industry you're talking about of course. What industry is it? Investment banking, law and such bump up the average massively.
(edited 8 years ago)
24k is good, lol I've just accepted a grad job in London on 20 and I'm considering moving there :L
Original post by Docjones1
24k would normally be a decent starting salary for average hours and little to no higher education but in London the cost of living is ridiculously high.

I was still getting paid 15k a year after I completed my apprenticeship. There was no indication of a raise anytime soon which is why I went to uni.

24k is a great starting wage especially if you live in the midlands or up north. I wouldn't live down South on 24k though unless I was confident it would increase substantially in a short amount of time.
Reply 29
Original post by yabbayabba
Hi, I've been offered a graduate job in London with 24k starting salary - is that great, ok or bad?

Thanks

In these times, any salary above minimum wage for a graduate role with 0 work experience is a good salary.
Reply 30
Original post by RoundTrip

24k is a great starting wage especially if you live in the midlands or up north. I wouldn't live down South on 24k though unless I was confident it would increase substantially in a short amount of time.

I earnt significantly less than 24k whilst living in the South and still found myself having a very high disposable income. It all depends on your expenses.
Excellent outside London, still pretty reasonable in London.
Reply 32
I'd kill for that.
im a graduate on £28k is that good? live in london too zone 3
Original post by imabigboynow
im a graduate on £28k is that good? live in london too zone 3

It's OK, yeah.
Reply 35
Original post by imabigboynow
im a graduate on £28k is that good?

It's good enough to expect those earning it to know not to hijack threads :wink:
Original post by yabbayabba
Hi, I've been offered a graduate job in London with 24k starting salary - is that great, ok or bad?

Thanks

It's not bad. If it was in London, Id want 30K tbh, but it's not bad.
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
It's very good. Don't listen to that nonsense about 25-30k starting salaries for grads, that only applies to those small percentage of top tier blue chip schemes which most people aren't on.

24k is very good. Take it.

However, this depends what industry you're talking about of course. What industry is it? Investment banking, law and such bump up the average massively.

You dont necessarily only get that cos of a "top tier blue chip" but also dependant on industry tbh
Original post by The_Internet
It's not bad. If it was in London, Id want 30K tbh, but it's not bad.

youd want 30k first year out of uni? unless its finance what else does this?
lol at people saying 24k is ok. deluded site.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending