The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because it is actually the most ethnic and culturally diverse city in Britain. So people think of it as a rubbish dump. Also it doesn't have any landmarks or the traffic links/airports that London has. Basically are rubbish version of London.
Reply 2
Original post by william walker
Because it is actually the most ethnic and culturally diverse city in Britain. So people think of it as a rubbish dump. Also it doesn't have any landmarks or the traffic links/airports that London has. Basically are rubbish version of London.

Oh, I see...

The thing about the traffic links/airports actually is quite true. I'm from Lisbon, and there are no direct flights to Birmingham so I have to get to Manchester first and then take the train. It's quite troublesome, especially with heavy luggage :/

Thanks for the answer =)
It's a bit crap really. For such a large city there isn't really much there and many smaller cities in the UK, imo at least, have much more to offer.
Original post by t.s.r.
Oh, I see...

The thing about the traffic links/airports actually is quite true. I'm from Lisbon, and there are no direct flights to Birmingham so I have to get to Manchester first and then take the train. It's quite troublesome, especially with heavy luggage :/

Thanks for the answer =)

Yeah Birmingham is harder to get to than London or Manchester. The trouble is Birmingham was a great city in the early 1900's, the fastest growing city with the best economy along with Belfast, but it has gone down hill massively. I wouldn't go to Birmingham ever.
It is a bit of a dump once you get out of the town center. I would never live there again if I had the chance. A few nice places eg Edgbaston, Harbourne, but that is it.

So a great city center but a poor, dirty, generally dislikeable kind of people around most of it in my view. Compare it to Bath-both the people and place as a whole-and see the difference.

In my view.
Original post by will_jg
It's a bit crap really. For such a large city there isn't really much there and many smaller cities in the UK, imo at least, have much more to offer.

Such as?
Original post by will_jg

I agree Liverpool and Newcastle are nice.
Reply 8
Birmingham is a ****hole, lets face it.

But Birmingham uni is stunning, one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.
Reply 9
Oh, maybe I made a mistake applying to the uni there...

Tbh, it wasn't my first choice, I only firmed it because Bristol didn't accept me (I wanted to go there originally).
Original post by t.s.r.
Hi,

I'm not from England and this September I'll be studying at the University of Birmingham and I've noticed that in this forum the city of Birmingham has a really bad reputation compared to the other cities in the UK.

Can anyone tell me why that is? I honestly have no idea...

Thanks xD

Ignore this forum, it's a bandwagon. As someone else has pointed out I firmly believe part of it is down to it's multiculturalism. There is quite a lot here and lots of stuff opening this year too.

Once you arrive here you'll love it. Got PMs from members from abroad who are here studying and they love it here.

Can't be arsed to make a longer post than this, I've defended Brum enough times, it'll be nothing I haven't already said about fifty times on here already.
Reply 11
Original post by t.s.r.

Tbh, it wasn't my first choice, I only firmed it because Bristol didn't accept me (I wanted to go there originally).

Good uni, bad city.
It's diverse so racists don't like it. Although our major cities are diverse - manchester, liverpool, london etc. All doing very well!
Reply 13
Original post by i<3milkshake
It is a bit of a dump once you get out of the town center. I would never live there again if I had the chance. A few nice places eg Edgbaston, Harbourne, but that is it.

So a great city center but a poor, dirty, generally dislikeable kind of people around most of it in my view. Compare it to Bath-both the people and place as a whole-and see the difference.

In my view.

Do you really think that even the people are generally dislikeable? :frown: Surely, the people would be like any other city in the UK, no :confused:
You appear to have forgotten about BanglaChesh!!
Original post by t.s.r.

If you're going to let a few posters saying "it's a ****hole" put you off then maybe the city is better off without you. Don't let stupid comments decide your uni choice.

The people who matter - overseas investors for example - have nice things to say about it. There are loads of overseas articles that paint it in a nice light. Here is one - http://www.traveller.com.au/birmingham-uk-why-you-should-visit-britains-new-city-of-cool-133yx7
Original post by t.s.r.
Do you really think that even the people are generally dislikeable? :frown: Surely, the people would be like any other city in the UK, no :confused:

Of course, don't pay attention to it.
I think it's because it's so ethically diverse SOME people give it a bad reputation (40% of people are non-white) but I've lived here my whole life and I can't think of a better thing. The majority of people who criticize it are probably ill-informed who have never visited, and believe everything everything they hear in the media/ off equally as ignorant people.

We have a chinese quarter, gay village, large asian/caribbean communities, restaurants of every kind and we're proud of our diversity and you will make friends from all over the world, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

It's also officially the youngest city in the UK, with 40% of the population being under 25. meaning the nightlife/shopping is really good. It's full of museums and art galleries... the architecture is a mix of historic landmarks and modern and fun buildings. It's also constantly voted best city in the UK for tourists to visit (check this out) It's also one of the greenest cities in the UK too, with a massive 8,000 acres of parks and green space. Some of the areas like Bournville and Sutton Coldfield are stunning.

Every city has it's flaws, there's some very unattractive areas which are a bit run down/full of poverty, meaning there's more litter and crime etc. But you will find this in most global cities. I have had my phone robbed once in the street but I'd say you just need to be as vigilant as you were in any city.

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions about it :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Wilfred Little
Ignore this forum, it's a bandwagon. As someone else has pointed out I firmly believe part of it is down to it's multiculturalism. There is quite a lot here and lots of stuff opening this year too.

Once you arrive here you'll love it. Got PMs from members from abroad who are here studying and they love it here.

Can't be arsed to make a longer post than this, I've defended Brum enough times, it'll be nothing I haven't already said about fifty times on here already.

Thanks for your input. It's nice to see the other side of the argument too... I see that these are all generalisations but they are like this for a reason.... There has to be something about Birmingham that makes people think this way...

But I will take everything with a pinch of salt.

Thanks again =)
Reply 19
Original post by aliendays
I think it's because it's so ethically diverse SOME people give it a bad reputation (40% of people are non-white) but I've lived here my whole life and I can't think of a better thing. The majority of people who criticize it are probably ill-informed who have never visited, and believe everything everything they hear in the media/ off equally as ignorant people.

We have a chinese quarter, gay village, large asian/caribbean communities, restaurants of every kind and we're proud of our diversity and you will make friends from all over the world, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

It's also officially the youngest city in the UK, with 40% of the population being under 25. meaning the nightlife/shopping is really good. It's full of museums and art galleries... the architecture is a mix of historic landmarks and modern and fun buildings. It's also constantly voted best city in the UK for tourists to visit (check this out) It's also one of the greenest cities in the UK too, with a massive 8,000 acres of parks and green space. Some of the areas like Bournville and Sutton Coldfield are stunning.

Every city has it's flaws, there's some very unattractive areas which are a bit run down/full of poverty, meaning there's more litter and crime etc. But you will find this in most global cities. I have had my phone robbed once in the street but I'd say you just need to be as vigilant as you were in any city.

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions about it :smile:

Plus, a group of Muslims who go around attempting to enforce Sharia Law...

But yeah, diversity is great...

Latest

Trending

Trending