The Student Room Group

What type of engineering do you do???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Smack
Chemical engineering is also the favourite fifth choice of medicine applicants.

Wow, I thought that was Biomed Sciences. ChemEng is a pretty different career to Medicine...

Interesting. Tks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Wow, I thought that was Biomed Sciences. ChemEng is a pretty different career to Medicine...

Interesting. Tks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, actually, my post says "the" but I don't have the stats to back that up and what I really meant was "a", since I would be very confident that, on TSR at least, a huge amount of medicine applicants have chem eng as their 5th choice.
Reply 22
Original post by omar4
Aerospace!
Designed and made a surveillance drone during university, it didnt fly =P

why didn't it fly?
Original post by Summit
Materials is the best type of engineering, what can you build without materials? :biggrin:

Well as a product design engineer i would disagree with this - you may have the material but you need to know what to do with it to make it useful. PDE is deffo the best - we get to do a bit of everything.
Original post by littlemissmidget123
Well as a product design engineer i would disagree with this - you may have the material but you need to know what to do with it to make it useful. PDE is deffo the best - we get to do a bit of everything.

Can you make kitchen items doe?
Reply 25
Original post by Plutonian
why didn't it fly?

The battery we used wasnt providing sufficient current to the motor to produce enough thrust so we used another battery which was much heavier. It produced enough thrust but the weight of the aircraft was too much to lift off.
Reply 26
Original post by omar4
The battery we used wasnt providing sufficient current to the motor to produce enough thrust so we used another battery which was much heavier. It produced enough thrust but the weight of the aircraft was too much to lift off.

Why didn't you calculate this before you built it?
Reply 27
Original post by Plutonian
Why didn't you calculate this before you built it?

Cuz we're amateurs 😅
When you're making an rc plane yourself without any previous experience, guidance, funding then you improvise, innovate and go with what you have. Also it was the 4th semester so we had other subjects to focus on and stuff.

About the calculations, they were correct and we did some test runs on university roads but when we went to a specified location where people are allowed to fly rc planes, the surface was tougher and our aircraft wheels were screwed in tighter than they were supposed to be so the battery we had within the defined weight was not good enough then.
Reply 28
Original post by omar4
Cuz we're amateurs 😅
When you're making an rc plane yourself without any previous experience, guidance, funding then you improvise, innovate and go with what you have. Also it was the 4th semester so we had other subjects to focus on and stuff.

About the calculations, they were correct and we did some test runs on university roads but when we went to a specified location where people are allowed to fly rc planes, the surface was tougher and our aircraft wheels were screwed in tighter than they were supposed to be so the battery we had within the defined weight was not good enough then.

Fair enough. It might not have been the battery though, it could have been a too small propeller or wrong wing angle.
Original post by omar4
Aerospace!
Designed and made a surveillance drone during university, it didnt fly =P

I laughed way too much at this.

Quick Reply

Latest