The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Don't let stupid comments here influence your choice. People here are super ignorant. Birmingham is the second biggest city of England, do I need to say more? It's second best after London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by t.s.r.
Thanks for your input. It's nice to see the other side of the argument too... I see that these are all generalisations but they are like this for a reason.... There has to be something about Birmingham that makes people think this way...

But I will take everything with a pinch of salt.

Thanks again =)

Because multicultural places = ****holes apparently + it is generally mocked in the media. It's nonsense. Look at the #FoxNewsFacts incident.

There is a saying that the council (and Madin) did more damage to the city than the Luftwaffe. There is some truth to it. That's an outdated perception though, it isn't a concrete jungle any more, it's a very modern city.
Reply 22
Original post by Wilfred Little
If you're going to let a few posters saying "it's a ****hole" put you off then maybe the city is better off without you. Don't let stupid comments decide your uni choice.

The people who matter - overseas investors for example - have nice things to say about it. There are loads of overseas articles that paint it in a nice light. Here is one - http://www.traveller.com.au/birmingham-uk-why-you-should-visit-britains-new-city-of-cool-133yx7

You're totally right... But since I'm not from the UK, every opinion I hear about Brum I think is 'definite' and it's like that, since I know nothing about it.

Thank you for the article. It certainly made me feel a lot better about going to uni there.

I'm starting to see the two sides of the coin.
Original post by cacra
Plus, a group of Muslims who go around attempting to enforce Sharia Law...

But yeah, diversity is great...

Your level of ignorance and ability to make such rubbish up is highly amusing, move on.
Original post by t.s.r.
Do you really think that even the people are generally dislikeable? :frown: Surely, the people would be like any other city in the UK, no :confused:

Go to Bath then go to Birmingham. See for yourself. Anyone who says they are the same are really plain lying.
Reply 25
Original post by aliendays
Your level of ignorance and ability to make such rubbish up is highly amusing, move on.

I have lived in Birmingham all my life
Also
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/islamic-sharia-law-courts-operating-241340
Reply 26
Original post by aliendays
I think it's because it's so ethically diverse SOME people give it a bad reputation (40% of people are non-white) but I've lived here my whole life and I can't think of a better thing. The majority of people who criticize it are probably ill-informed who have never visited, and believe everything everything they hear in the media/ off equally as ignorant people.

We have a chinese quarter, gay village, large asian/caribbean communities, restaurants of every kind and we're proud of our diversity and you will make friends from all over the world, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

It's also officially the youngest city in the UK, with 40% of the population being under 25. meaning the nightlife/shopping is really good. It's full of museums and art galleries... the architecture is a mix of historic landmarks and modern and fun buildings. It's also constantly voted best city in the UK for tourists to visit (check this out) It's also one of the greenest cities in the UK too, with a massive 8,000 acres of parks and green space. Some of the areas like Bournville and Sutton Coldfield are stunning.

Every city has it's flaws, there's some very unattractive areas which are a bit run down/full of poverty, meaning there's more litter and crime etc. But you will find this in most global cities. I have had my phone robbed once in the street but I'd say you just need to be as vigilant as you were in any city.

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions about it :smile:

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I'm getting the gist of the city and why people generally don't like it...

From what I can see and from what you said it's mainly because it is so multicultural... I'll just have to get there and see for myself whether all these claims made in the thread are true and whether I like it or not.

Thanks again =)
It's only second to London. I went to Birmingham University - Amazing place!
Reply 28

This is a bit scary, actually...

It starts like this, little by little and then before we know it, the whole country is under Sharia law... :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Original post by Haa898
Don't let stupid comments here influence your choice. People here are super ignorant. Birmingham is the second biggest city of England, do I need to say more? It's second best after London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply/opinion =)
London > Birmingham > Manchester > Leeds
Reply 31
Original post by Bill_Gates
It's only second to London. I went to Birmingham University - Amazing place!

Really? Glad to hear that at least the uni gets a good rep! :smile:

And were you able to find a good job with the degree from the university, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by t.s.r.
Really? Glad to hear that at least the uni gets a good rep! :smile:

And were you able to find a good job with the degree from the university, if you don't mind me asking?

I went to both Aston and Bham. I ran a full time business from the start of 17 so decided to attend university for the experience. My business is doing well.
Reply 33
I went to both Aston and Bham. I ran a full time business from the start of 17 so decided to attend university for the experience. My business is doing well.

Very cool! So it seems that the uni is good and people have a good experience there!

Thanks and good luck!
Reply 34
Original post by Exceptional
London > Birmingham > Manchester > Leeds

From what I've seen in this forum as well, London also doesn't have the best of reputations especially as a city for students...

I guess there are a lot of varying opinions and I have to see for myself whether I like Bham...

Thanks!
Original post by t.s.r.
Very cool! So it seems that the uni is good and people have a good experience there!

Thanks and good luck!

it's literally got everything at an affordable rate.
Reply 36
It's diverse so racists don't like it. Although our major cities are diverse - manchester, liverpool, london etc. All doing very well!

When I visited Manchester I never saw much diversity.
Reply 37
Original post by t.s.r.
From what I've seen in this forum as well, London also doesn't have the best of reputations especially as a city for students...

I guess there are a lot of varying opinions and I have to see for myself whether I like Bham...

Thanks!

That's because they can't afford to live in the good parts.
Original post by Plutonian

the best parts? kensington and chelsea you mean with the highest rate of crime.
Reply 39
Original post by Plutonian

Lol! Then I guess that's true for every major city in the UK and everyone who has a bad experience means they can't afford to live in the good parts... So, I wonder, if that's generally true for every city, then why is it that Birmingham has the worst rep...

Some members have given me some reasons why that is, others have shown me the other side as well.

Overall, thanks to everyone... I've got some good points for, and some good against and I'll make up my mind once I actually get there.

Nevertheless, if you have any other reasons, keep 'em coming!

P.S. I used you as a way to show the conclusion I've arrived to, you don't actually have to reply to this quote :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending