The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Graphic design and photography

I will be studying graphic design and Photography at chester university and I want to know who else is on my course to get to know someone before I start :smile:
hi this isn't really the response you were hoping for but I was wondering if I could take the opportunity to ask you some questions.
I'm really interested in art and design and am currently studying it (just got my as results) and i was looking at graphic design courses as I'm applying to uni this year. I also have recently got into photography but more as a hobby. Basically, I have a few questions
1. what a-levels did you do?
2. did you do a foundation degree and if so do you think it was the right decision?
3. Do i need prior experience in a graphics/photography course to be suitable for the course you're studying?
4. How/why did you choose Chester?

I'm basically just really confused about my options and didn't do as well as I had hoped in my AS (got a B) so I'm not sure if my portfolio is strong enough and I'm not sure about what specific area of art and design i want to go into, I could really use all the help I can get.

I hope you enjoy your time at Chester!!!
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by haannahbee
hi this isn't really the response you were hoping for but I was wondering if I could take the opportunity to ask you some questions.
I'm really interested in art and design and am currently studying it (just got my as results) and i was looking at graphic design courses as I'm applying to uni this year. I also have recently got into photography but more as a hobby. Basically, I have a few questions
1. what a-levels did you do?
2. did you do a foundation degree and if so do you think it was the right decision?
3. Do i need prior experience in a graphics/photography course to be suitable for the course you're studying?
4. How/why did you choose Chester?

I'm basically just really confused about my options and didn't do as well as I had hoped in my AS (got a B) so I'm not sure if my portfolio is strong enough and I'm not sure about what specific area of art and design i want to go into, I could really use all the help I can get.

I hope you enjoy your time at Chester!!!

1. I did an extended diploma in art and design (BTEC)
2. I didn't have to do a foundation course as the extended diploma covered a lot of different areas such as ceramics
3. I do think that it does help to have an vague idea about photography or graphic design when applying as your personal statement has to show how much you want to get on the course. I was lucky and I was able to do photography as one of my unit on my extended diploma
4. I chose chester because it was close to home but not too close. When I went for my interview I fell in love with the university and the surrounding areas as it was so homely and everyone was very friendly there.

I hope this has helped, I originally wanted to do costume design but when I did my unit on photography I really connected with it and wanted to take it further. As far as my portfolio went i did put a lot of effort into it as I photographed my work and got the photos printed professionally and I also took some sketch books to show how I can work and gather my ideas

Thank you! And good luck!
hellooo, I will be doing graphic design and photography in september ☺️
Reply 4
Original post by alicerichardson
hellooo, I will be doing graphic design and photography in september ☺️

Yay! Do you have accommodation?
Original post by Jes.ryan
Yay! Do you have accommodation?

nope, i'll be living at home as I live in Liverpool so i'm only 40 mins away via train :smile: will you?
Reply 6
Yeah I will be ☺️
Yeah I will be ☺️

aw well, at least we will be on the same courses together :smile: are you excited?
x

Hey, i have a question if you don't mind me asking.
I have never studied anything to do with graphic design, but it looks quite interesting. Does it involve drawing humans/animals/anything animate?
Reply 9
aw well, at least we will be on the same courses together :smile: are you excited?

I'm so excited :smile: are you?
very, I can't wait to start! it's a pretty late start as well which I don't mind...kind of😂
Reply 11
very, I can't wait to start! it's a pretty late start as well which I don't mind...kind of😂

I know but I do really want to start now 😂
i'm just dreading seeing my uni card, took the worst picture ever 😭😂
Reply 13
i'm just dreading seeing my uni card, took the worst picture ever 😭😂

I haven't done mine yet. How did you do yours?
I haven't done mine yet. How did you do yours?

I used my camera, tried using my phone but the photo was too small :frown:(( you can also go to a photo booth where you do like passport photos, but think a camera is much quicker!
Reply 15
I used my camera, tried using my phone but the photo was too small :frown:(( you can also go to a photo booth where you do like passport photos, but think a camera is much quicker!

Yeah I will probably just use my camera ☺️
Reply 16
Hey guys! I'm doing photography and there's a group chat on Facebook and ill happily add you to it! My fb is Megan Corson (There's a picture of me and a lad as my profile picture)
Original post by megc96
Hey guys! I'm doing photography and there's a group chat on Facebook and ill happily add you to it! My fb is Megan Corson (There's a picture of me and a lad as my profile picture)

Ah okay, i'll add you now! 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending