The Student Room Group

has this decision really "ruined" my life?

Heyy guyss :smile:))

sorry im about to rant, not really good at explaining myself & i literally joined TSR like a while ago so i am not sure if this is even in the right place...:/

basically i live in Manchester, just finished college & i applied to study Biomedical science, i applied to 5 universities & got offers from all of them, the main one being Sheffield university where i always wanted to go, Once results came in my place at Sheffield University got confirmed.

when i was choosing on which unis to apply too i never considered or even thought of going local [Manchester uni, MMU, or salford] as growing up in Manchester I've had a lot of bad experiences/memories which I've wanted to get away from, the only thing that kept me motivated through college was the fact that if i work hard and get good grades i could get away to uni and just focus on my degree. Now this was finally happening everything was sorted out and finally i could get away from Manchester and everything and start all over and just focus on my life and my education.

but literally last minute my plans got foiled,my parents asked me not to move out and instead go local so i could be around them more often, although at first i disagreed and refused but after 1000 lectures and emotional blackmail i gave in [ my parents are my life], i called Sheffield to release me, so i got into clearing, Manchester uni doesn't have bio-med through clearing so i was left with MMU and salford, i applied to MMU for bio-med through clearing and got accepted.

now every single person in my life who knows this disagrees and just tell me i have just ruined my whole life and going MMU is the worst decision I've made in life because the uni is not as respectable compared to Sheffield ,and basically i will be wasting 3 years of my life on a degree where no one would even hire me because Bio-med at MMU is really bad and going to MMU will make me a total failure and a loser in life.

i did research it online and even online people have the same thoughts about
MMU, everyone's made me feel like a total loser for deciding to go MMU, is it really as bad as everyone say. has anyone studied or currently studying Biomedical science at MMU. what should i do? is it worth go MMU or should i just take a gap year and wait for next year.
Reply 1
Ruin your life, probably not. Though its your money and your debt. If your parents care more about spending time with you than your future, YOU need to be the adult and make the right decsion. They will always love you, but your bank balance wont if you dont get a well paying career.
It hasn't ruined your life but don't you think you should do what you want? The other guy is right they wont stop loving you if you move away.
I wouldn't say you've ruined your life but I would say it's a very stupid decision and not one I'd make myself. But if your parents are your life, then I suppose it's the best compromise available. Why didn't they tell you this when you firmed Sheffield months ago?
Do a gap year please, you're an adult now and you should be able to do what you want. Inform your parents of how going to a more reputable university will help you in your career and if they still refuse make a compromise with them e.g. promise you'll visit them every week or whatever. Please don't waste your talent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saara9
Heyy guyss :smile:))

sorry im about to rant, not really good at explaining myself & i literally joined TSR like a while ago so i am not sure if this is even in the right place...:/

basically i live in Manchester, just finished college & i applied to study Biomedical science, i applied to 5 universities & got offers from all of them, the main one being Sheffield university where i always wanted to go, Once results came in my place at Sheffield University got confirmed.

when i was choosing on which unis to apply too i never considered or even thought of going local [Manchester uni, MMU, or salford] as growing up in Manchester I've had a lot of bad experiences/memories which I've wanted to get away from, the only thing that kept me motivated through college was the fact that if i work hard and get good grades i could get away to uni and just focus on my degree. Now this was finally happening everything was sorted out and finally i could get away from Manchester and everything and start all over and just focus on my life and my education.

but literally last minute my plans got foiled,my parents asked me not to move out and instead go local so i could be around them more often, although at first i disagreed and refused but after 1000 lectures and emotional blackmail i gave in [ my parents are my life], i called Sheffield to release me, so i got into clearing, Manchester uni doesn't have bio-med through clearing so i was left with MMU and salford, i applied to MMU for bio-med through clearing and got accepted.

now every single person in my life who knows this disagrees and just tell me i have just ruined my whole life and going MMU is the worst decision I've made in life because the uni is not as respectable compared to Sheffield ,and basically i will be wasting 3 years of my life on a degree where no one would even hire me because Bio-med at MMU is really bad and going to MMU will make me a total failure and a loser in life.

i did research it online and even online people have the same thoughts about
MMU, everyone's made me feel like a total loser for deciding to go MMU, is it really as bad as everyone say. has anyone studied or currently studying Biomedical science at MMU. what should i do? is it worth go MMU or should i just take a gap year and wait for next year.

Don't worry you definitely haven't ruined your life! Obviously it's up to you so if you think you would be happy at Manchester Met then go there for 2015 entry but given you seem to be unsure what to do if I was you I would take a gap year and apply through UCAS again for 2016 entry. You can do some relevant work experience in your gap year which will be useful to put in your personal statement for applying anyway and that way you can talk to your parents again and explain why you really wanted to go to Sheffield and see if you can sort it out with them to go there or if you decide you want to stay at home then you could apply to Manchester which is a lot more comparable to Sheffield in terms of academic standing, reputation, employability etc. Hope it works out for you. :smile:
Reply 6
Oh gosh, you haven't ruined your life. Plus you've saved yourself tons of money, and i'm a family person so I if your going to leave home it's best if your family agrees with your decision. If your not ready for uni , take a gap year. If it's what everyones saying thats making you doubt MMU , then ignore them. If anything, you can just transfer uni for second year, its not that hard. Just dont let what people are saying get to you.
Reply 7
Original post by Sapphire321
Don't worry you definitely haven't ruined your life! Obviously it's up to you so if you think you would be happy at Manchester Met then go there for 2015 entry but given you seem to be unsure what to do if I was you I would take a gap year and apply through UCAS again for 2016 entry. You can do some relevant work experience in your gap year which will be useful to put in your personal statement for applying anyway and that way you can talk to your parents again and explain why you really wanted to go to Sheffield and see if you can sort it out with them to go there or if you decide you want to stay at home then you could apply to Manchester which is a lot more comparable to Sheffield in terms of academic standing, reputation, employability etc. Hope it works out for you. :smile:

this is where the confusion comes.. personally i know i wouln't be happy at MMU or even staying in manchester, i've wanted to escape this place and the people for like 4 yrs now and when finally the time came.. i made this stupid decision.

so part of me is telling me to take a gap year and work or go somewhere and than reapply next yr..but i've already taken like 2 gap yrss and in that gap years i've realised how important it is for me to get an education, my parents never had a problem with me moving to sheffield its just this yr they're having personal family problem so if i took a gap yr next yr no one would have a problem with me moving out, but at the age of 20 i'm confused whether it is worth taking a gap yr to study the same course at a high rank uni. or whether i should just go to MMU, ignore everyone else's opinion and make the most of it like work really hard and aim to get the highest grade aswell as being there for my family when they need me..

but im just scared and can't figure out whether the unis reputation and quality of teaching would affect me in the long run when i graduate...
Maybe see how it goes for the first year, try and move out (if not into Uni accommodation then into a bedsit or something) to give you a bit of family distance for when you need to study and just be a student. Then after the year possibly look at transferring. Hopefully this way will help your parents realise you're doing what is best for you, and what parents don't want the best for their kids?
Reply 9
Original post by grassntai
Do a gap year please, you're an adult now and you should be able to do what you want. Inform your parents of how going to a more reputable university will help you in your career and if they still refuse make a compromise with them e.g. promise you'll visit them every week or whatever. Please don't waste your talent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

at the age of 20 is it really worth taking a gap yr for the sake of getting into a higher rank uni? im just trying to figure out whether if i go to MMU not really bother with what people think about the university and work really really hard and aim to get a high grade ... or whether i should take a gap yr, by then il be 21 and than apply for the same course at just a high rank uni, would the uni ranking/reputation really affect me in the future when i graduate ..? or would they just focus on my level of degree and not both with which uni i have attended
Reply 10
Original post by Danno190
Maybe see how it goes for the first year, try and move out (if not into Uni accommodation then into a bedsit or something) to give you a bit of family distance for when you need to study and just be a student. Then after the year possibly look at transferring. Hopefully this way will help your parents realise you're doing what is best for you, and what parents don't want the best for their kids?

that's what i have been considering because except like salford every other uni no longer has any other vacancies for Bio-med.. so its either i attend MMU or take a gap yr.. and this is where i am really confused about.. im just trying to figure out if MMU is really as bad for Bio-med as everyone has been telling me.. i've reached that stage where my common sense has gone, and as an adult im not exactly sure what i should be doing with life anymore.. after what everyone else has been telling me about MMU i've literally lost the whole motivation of starting uni.. now im just scared of going to MMU and ending up no where in life.
Original post by Saara9
at the age of 20 is it really worth taking a gap yr for the sake of getting into a higher rank uni? im just trying to figure out whether if i go to MMU not really bother with what people think about the university and work really really hard and aim to get a high grade ... or whether i should take a gap yr, by then il be 21 and than apply for the same course at just a high rank uni, would the uni ranking/reputation really affect me in the future when i graduate ..? or would they just focus on my level of degree and not both with which uni i have attended

21 is a young age, many people much older than you go to university. The credentials of your university will make life easier, trust me, you'll have better professors, better contacts and overall a better quality of education. Despite what people may say, in fear of sounding like a snob I guess, going to a good university does give you an edge in terms of employment and it'll hold you in stead for the rest of your life.

If I were you I'd take a gap year.
Original post by Saara9
that's what i have been considering because except like salford every other uni no longer has any other vacancies for Bio-med.. so its either i attend MMU or take a gap yr.. and this is where i am really confused about.. im just trying to figure out if MMU is really as bad for Bio-med as everyone has been telling me.. i've reached that stage where my common sense has gone, and as an adult im not exactly sure what i should be doing with life anymore.. after what everyone else has been telling me about MMU i've literally lost the whole motivation of starting uni.. now im just scared of going to MMU and ending up no where in life.

If you do go through with 3 years at MMU, is there no way you could improve your prospects by studying postgrad somewhere else, once you get more of an idea where you want to end up?
I think the term 'ruining your life' is a bit extreme. I don't know much about English universities as I'm a Scottish student but regardless of this I think everything will work out okay. I'll be staying at home too and it's not a big deal, just think of all the money you'll be saving. Also don't knock it before you try it. If you attend you might find you really enjoy it and if not then that's okay. There's so much pressure to get everything done now but the truth is it doesn't matter if you're set back a few years, we're still so young! Whilst it's more convenient getting it over and done with, if you decide your degree isn't working out then just follow a different path? Whether that be a different course or a different university. It's really not the end of the world, I'm doing a course (at a slightly prestigious uni) that I really enjoy but I'm not very confident on the job prospects and I have no idea what I want to do with it but I'm just going with it anyway, My attitude is, if It doesn't work out then I'll find something else.

Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by Danno190
If you do go through with 3 years at MMU, is there no way you could improve your prospects by studying postgrad somewhere else, once you get more of an idea where you want to end up?

i know exactly what i want to do after graduating :smile:

I've always wanted to be a doctor.. since high-school like yr 7 my main focus were my GCSE'S at the end.. however right before yr 10 we moved house to another area, so i went from attending a good highscool to a school where being an A student was more of a shameful thing and u got bullied for it.. so being my stupid 15 yr old self i decided it was more important to get socially accepted and become one of the "cool, i don't give a damn about grades " kid rather than focusing on my revision and getting A grades. so through yr 10/11 i started ditching school & associated with the wrong people and ended up mostly with B's and C's [ i blame myself for all my decisions]

and when my gcse results came i enrolled at college for A-levels , at this stage i had 1000 different family problem and i drifted away from my family .. so to get away from all this family issues, i made some really unwise decision and became even more rebellious and my main closest friends were still of highschool, so decided to drop out of first yr college .. the more family issues i had the more i went on the wrong path and eventually decided education was not for me and instead got engaged to " the love of my life".. after 3 yrs of having this rebellious phase i finally learned the hard way that i made all the wrong decision of my life and i wasn't not happy at all ...so kind of went back to the college and enrolled on BTEC Level 3 applied science along with AS Biology & Psychology. i did the 2 yrs in one yr [ literally did college work 24/7 blocked everything else out].. and than applied for unis the same yr. than after researching and speaking to my teachers i realized the best path for me personally was to study biomedical science.. and than apply to graduate entry medicine.

sorry im ranting again[ trying to give a clear picture of how messed up my decision has been in the past] :frown:.. but after doing Biomedical science i am hopefully aiming to apply for Graduate entry medicine...i've researched it thoroughly and i know it's very competitive but it's a better option for me, but now the whole changing from Sheffield to MMU is scaring me as to whether i would even be able to apply to GEM because of the reputation of MMU.
Reply 15
Original post by Caitlinmcewan
I think the term 'ruining your life' is a bit extreme. I don't know much about English universities as I'm a Scottish student but regardless of this I think everything will work out okay. I'll be staying at home too and it's not a big deal, just think of all the money you'll be saving. Also don't knock it before you try it. If you attend you might find you really enjoy it and if not then that's okay. There's so much pressure to get everything done now but the truth is it doesn't matter if you're set back a few years, we're still so young! Whilst it's more convenient getting it over and done with, if you decide your degree isn't working out then just follow a different path? Whether that be a different course or a different university. It's really not the end of the world, I'm doing a course (at a slightly prestigious uni) that I really enjoy but I'm not very confident on the job prospects and I have no idea what I want to do with it but I'm just going with it anyway, My attitude is, if It doesn't work out then I'll find something else.

Good luck!

haha i know "ruining my life" makes it sound extremely dramatic. however everyone who've asked me when i'm moving to sheffield and i tell them i've changed it from sheffield to MMU.. the reply i literally get is " are u crazy? u just ruined ur whole entire life.. MMU will lead u nowhere in life.." i don't normally let people get to me but this is such an important decision which will affect me in future i kind of let everyone get to me and than i get extremely paranoid .. but i think you are right, i need to try it myself and see how it goes.. the worst case scenario if it's bad as everyone believes it to be ..il just drop out and re-apply next yr when my family is back to normal and sorted all their problems out.. thanks thoo good luck to you too :smile:)
Hi, I know this thread is over 5 years old but I'm just wondering how did you get on in the end? Did you stick with MMU or take a gap year and go to Sheffield. I'm currently a 2nd year Biomedical Science student at MMU and I had the exact same mindset as you about MMU being a less reputable university compared to say UoM down the road. Personally, I'm quite impressed with the teaching facilities here (although covid has made it more difficult for everyone) but I realised that in the end, it's the grade that you get in your degree that really matters, not many employers are bothered about where you got your degree from. By being a well rounded person with lots of expereince in your chosen field along with performing well in interviews is what will make you achieve that graduate job. I know several people who went on to do graduate entry medicine after doing Biomed at MMU so it is definitely possible. Please let me know how you got on thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending