The Student Room Group

I was told to repeat 2nd year for the 3rd time, need advice... help!!!

Hi TSR

I'm In a messed up situation. It's a long story so I will size it down as much as possible. And sorry in advance for spelling errors.. I'm typing this on my mobile.

I've always struggled to study, I did not know why until half way through 2nd year (1st attempt). 3 family members died in the space of 2 months... This has a impact on my studies and a HUGE impact on me to the point that I suspected I had issues.I go to my GP and was diagnosed with depression which was a shock because I did not know it was a illness.I failed my exam and applied for extenuating circumstances (ES), supplied death certificates as evidence and was told that my application had been accepted.
I attended the supplementary exams. A week later I was told 'sorry we accepted your (ES) by mistake' so my results never got posted and I had to resits the year

Now I'm resitting 2nd yr and due to the sudden change I had problems with student finance (SF). The problem I had with (SF) lasted the whole of my 2nd year. This had a impact on me because I was removed from my course are my access to university resources was taken away so I could not attend exams. (SF) paid my tuition fees 1 day after my final exam of the year and I gained access to uni resources that day (pointless).
In July I got kicked out of uni and I had to submit a appeal providing evidence which got accepted. I was told I must resist the year.

I want to know what to do.. Do I:

1) go to the university guns blazing demanding a refund for that year

2) sue the university (i left out a lot of info but basically they screw me over big time)

3) forget it and continue with the course ((SF) refuse to pay my tuition fee again so I have to use my funds... Which I don't have)

I'm open to suggestions Thanks TSR
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by quaity19
I want to know what to do.. Do I:

1) go to the university guns blazing demanding a refund for that year

From what you've said, the fault for this past year seems to lie with SF. The uni are almost bound to exclude you if your tuition fees aren't paid. You're very unlikely to get any kind of positive response by going in "guns blazing". Get help to take a more measured, calm and objective approach. This is obviously going to be difficult in your current position, but you need to keep a clear head if you're going to get anywhere.

2) sue the university (i left out a lot of info but basically they screw me over big time)

Unclear from the info you have supplied, as to why you're blaming the uni. The problem for this last year lies with SF refusing to pay your fees until the last minute. If you've left out a lot of info, we can't offer a useful opinion.

If you're determined to carry on pursuing the uni, go to your Student Union, who will find someone to advise. You need to know your way around the uni appeals process. You won't be permitted to take further action until you have gone through the formal processes within the uni. If internal appeals fail, there's an external body which handles continued disputes between students and unis, so you wouldn't be suing them. However, students rarely win and when they do, there's no legal mechanism which forces unis to comply with the final ruling.

3) forget it and continue with the course ((SF) refuse to pay my tuition fee again so I have to use my funds... Which I don't have)

If you don't have the money to pay, then you can't continue and this is a moot point. No point thinking about it any further at this stage. Your priority would appear to be unpicking the issues with SF so that you can get the money to continue.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
From what you've said, the fault for this past year seems to lie with SF. The uni are almost bound to exclude you if your tuition fees aren't paid. You're very unlikely to get any kind of positive response by going in "guns blazing". Get help to take a more measured, calm and objective approach. This is obviously going to be difficult in your current position, but you need to keep a clear head if you're going to get anywhere.

Unclear from the info you have supplied, as to why you're blaming the uni. The problem for this last year lies with SF refusing to pay your fees until the last minute. If you've left out a lot of info, we can't offer a useful opinion.

If you're determined to carry on pursuing the uni, go to your Student Union, who will find someone to advise. You need to know your way around the uni appeals process. You won't be permitted to take further action until you have gone through the formal processes within the uni. If internal appeals fail, there's an external body which handles continued disputes between students and unis, so you wouldn't be suing them. However, students rarely win and when they do, there's no legal mechanism which forces unis to comply with the final ruling.

If you don't have the money to pay, then you can't continue and this is a moot point. No point thinking about it any further at this stage. Your priority would appear to be unpicking the issues with SF so that you can get the money to continue.

Forget the second option. I do not was to sue the university the it's a very long and costly process

I just want a refund for the year because they took my tuition fee but removed me from the course, stripped me from all university resources and never given a chance to sit my exams. I paid for it and did not receive any of it so I should get my money back. Yes student finance took their time but they still paid and it's coming out of my pocket
Wow.....

How the **** can they accept your ES by mistake and why?

Yeah you should really look into getting a refund and if they say no seek legal action because there's no way they can take a payment for a full year when the student was removed from the course.
Reply 4
I would take this to court if they said no!
The university have some explaining to do!
Original post by aamirac
I would take this to court if they said no!
The university have some explaining to do!

Advising people who have no money to sue is not the way forward.
Reply 6
They took your 9K and told you to **** off?
Reply 7
Original post by quaity19
Forget the second option. I do not was to sue the university the it's a very long and costly process

I just want a refund for the year because they took my tuition fee but removed me from the course, stripped me from all university resources and never given a chance to sit my exams. I paid for it and did not receive any of it so I should get my money back. Yes student finance took their time but they still paid and it's coming out of my pocket

Go and get advice from your Student Union. They will know their way round the uni regs and can tell you what options are available to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending