The Student Room Group

My AS grades and realistic uni choices

----
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there! As I'm sure you're aware, law is an intensely competitive degree and all of the universities that you've mentioned are highly regarded Russell Group universities so these will be the most sought after law courses in the UK. As result, all 3 state that their typical offer is AAA. These would then be considered "high risk" options. One or two applications to these is fine on the UCAS application is fine but 3 is probably too much given the difference in their requirements and your current position. I'm sorry if I've seemed mean here but I'm just being honest and wish you all the best in pursuing law! 😀
It all depends on your predicted grades. For example, Nottingham states that their offer for 2016 entry is A*AA. Look up the up the entry requirements for each uni and some law couses that are combined with another subject may offer a lower entry requirement.
Hi. Good universities don't put much weight on AS grades due to the fact that some schools don't publish these, so it would be unfair to judge you by these grades whilst accepting people with their ASs unknown. Now it is very important to get your teachers to predict you high grades (usually they predict one grade higher, but depends on their policy) and predictions are probably the most important part of the application together with your PS.

Maybe not Nottingham, but York and Warwick would still be within your reach with their offer of AAA. If you work hard I don't see why you can't get AAA with or without some resits, just really focus and don't give up.
If not, Liverpool is still a great uni with an offer of just ABB.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by P!ATD
Can anyone perhaps share suitable universities for me to submit an application to?

I have got similar grades and I am thinking about Bristol/York/Newcastle/Exeter/Liverpool. I know that I am aiming a bit too high, but why not? :smile:
Original post by P!ATD
I appreciate your honesty! To be perfectly honest myself, I am considering just applying to perhaps one AAA institution. I know otherwise would be a stretch.

Even with A*AA predictions, would Russell Group institutions be unlikely?

With A*AA predictions you have a fairly good chance to Law School. Just pick and choose your universities wisely eg Cardiff has a pretty low entry requirement AAA-AAB and write a smashing personal statement!
Original post by P!ATD
Yes, I do like the look of Exeter particularly! I was thinking that even if I get rejections across the board, it will open up another door and I could take more A-levels or retake and apply as a stronger candidate! I wish you luck in your application, do you know your predicted grades?

Thanks. Not really, but I am quite friendly with my teachers so I have no doubts I'll get predicted A*AA in Economics, Maths and Law :smile: . If not I am going to have a talk with them and still get something like that. Also I was thinking about retaking couple of modules to make it easier to reach those grades. Are you dropping the C grade ?
You could try the University of Law in London. Its incredibly well known for postgraduate law and has only just opened for undergrads so might be a good one/easier to get in for the next year? Also I believe Kings was in clearing for Law this year? Admittedly I think it was only for an hour but still!
Original post by P!ATD
My college are a bit rigid on predictions but I'm fairly certain I've been predicted A*AA, luckily! Those are good, strong subjects. May I ask, what were your AS grades? I am dropping the C grade, it's a subject I don't particularly enjoy if I'm honest.

I have Got AABB, however I am dropping an A in ICT as it isn't a strong subject by any means, so I am pretty much in the same position as you with ABB. I have debated the decision to drop an A, but the only viable option was to either drop Law or ICT, so the choice is obvious.:smile:

What are your subjects if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 9
Original post by P!ATD
I got ABBC, and was wondering which universities I have a plausible chance of getting an offer from, for Law LLB.

Would such universities as Nottingham, Warwick and York be conceivable options, or am I an unlikely candidate?

All help greatly appreciated, thanks.

I applied for better Universities with worse grades, you will be fine.
[QUOTE="P!ATD;58779919"]
Original post by 0123456543210

Your grades are fantastic; I see no reason why you couldn't get into a top Russell Group institution! English Literature, Politics, Sociology and History (dropping History). You?

Cool, your subjects would definitely come in handy on the degree. The only essay-based subject I do is Law. I am doing Maths, Econ, Law and ICT. But ICT is just so pointless and seen easy by unis, well you can barely turn up for classes and end up with full marks! :u:

Really, just concentrate on your A2s, resits and PS, you should be fine.
Original post by P!ATD
May I ask which universities you applied for (and presumably got offers from), and what grades did you achieve? Thank you!

During AS I got BBBC and applied for Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews an Sheffield University for History. Received offers from them all.
Aston? I think they want ABB for law

Posted from TSR Mobile
honestly i definitely think you have a good chance of getting offers from the ones you said. typically lower rated russel group, and even better unis if you think you could risk re marks and retakes. my friend got around AABC or something and had an offer for law and politics or something from bristol. got A*AB for A2 and got in (even though she missed her offer sort of). so yeah, your grades are pretty good - i even met an oxford english student who got AABC at AS which is really not far off yours. she lied on her application you...... she put 'pending' for her C grade on her application.
if you arent sure then make sure you work hard on your personal statement and do stuff to put on it! even if its watching a documentary or reading an academic essay or doing a summer school or going to a lecture or an after school club or essay competiton or whatever! all of those things sound good. also doing EPQ. none of these things are crucial and if you think you cant handle say doing EPQ at the same time as A2s then dont. but yeah you have a good change i think. i know psychology is different but i have a friend who got into a good russell group uni for it for BBC i think. she missed her offer but i guess they just liked her
Original post by P!ATD
That's incredible, I'm assuming your personal statement, predictions, GCSEs, LNAT/Cambridge equivalent were otherwise strong? Or you had extenuating circumstances?
Thank you for responding, that gives me hope/motivation. :smile:

I didn't have bad GCSE's, mainly A's but the odd B and C. I think they really liked my personal statement and thought I could achieve the grades in A2.

My advice is to aim high. With the current University system you will most likely stick to the clouds.
Original post by Joshb873
I didn't have bad GCSE's, mainly A's but the odd B and C. I think they really liked my personal statement and thought I could achieve the grades in A2.

My advice is to aim high. With the current University system you will most likely stick to the clouds.

And if it wouldn't work out the first time, just keep improving and trying, don't let the odd C grade let you down to the met level universities. Same applies to pupillages and training contracts.
Original post by Joshb873
During AS I got BBBC and applied for Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews an Sheffield University for History. Received offers from them all.

Do you not think it's fair to say, though, that you're the one in a million who gets that shot? Plus, most schools wouldn't even allow you to go for Cambridge with those AS' - mine certainly wouldn't.

Well done to you anyway, pal!
Original post by P!ATD
I got ABBC, and was wondering which universities I have a plausible chance of getting an offer from, for Law LLB.

Would such universities as Nottingham, Warwick and York be conceivable options, or am I an unlikely candidate?

All help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Probably not Nottingham, as their offer is A*AA (so even if you were predicted this, they may find it unrealistic), but, as long as you're predicted AAA, it's definitely worth applying to Warwick and York (especially if your GCSEs/personal statement/reference are all great).

However, I recommend also applying to one or two universities that ask for AAB, and maybe one or two that ask for ABB as well. Then, if you're rejected from RG unis, you still have offers, and you're then more likely to have an offer that you can place as your insurance.

Remember that, if you get grades that are AAA or A*AA, but have firmed a place that asks for AAB, you can go through adjustment - there's a chance that you could get into a RG uni that route (though some don't do adjustment).
Hi, I haven't managed to read all the convo above so far but I'll tell you my story and then give my advice at the end...

I got pretty poor (relatively speaking for law) grades at AS, but I knew I could do so much better than that.
My teachers, however, didn't really believe me and predicted me grades that weren't very helpful for getting onto the LLB and meant I would just miss out on the Russell group unis I wanted to be at.
Being stubborn, I applied to them anyway and mainly got offers of AAA (although my regional/county sport and heavy extracurricular stuff like debating etc may have helped and made up for my academic performance).
I then retook a couple of my AS exams and despite the incredible amount of "realistic" discouragement I got from school and teachers, exceeded my grade offer to get into my first choice Russell group uni for the LLB.

Long story short, even if you got pretty bad grades at AS, it IS possible to aim high and achieve it for A2.

However, do bear in mind that it will be seriously hard work. Getting a place at a top uni could depend on you retaking and whether you give next year your all. Extra exams for retakes will mean extra stress.
Also if your predicted grades aren't amazing due to your AS results it could be a risk even applying to top unis for law, let alone the risk of not getting the grades.

But if you think you can do it, and in fact end up making that decision, 100% commit to it!
Once you've applied and got offers don't let anyone tell you that you won't make it. Work hard. There will probably be frustrating moments where you doubt yourself. Be prepared for tears at this point. God knows, I wanted to cry at parents evening a month or so before exams when they told me I wasn't on track to reach my offer.

Just know that it's possible, and some of us have done it before.

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh also as a side note to the above I got all A*s and As at IGCSEs so that probably helped with my application too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending