The Student Room Group

My experiance in self teaching A-levels

At age 32 I decided I could with some qualifications after dropping out of college at 17. (for ref I had 5 GCSEs B-C)

The first question was Access or A-levels. The problems with access was it was full time meaning I could not work any day job. Also it was 3k unless you get a degree which I couldn't be sure off.

So I looked at the A-levels which did not require any coursework or practicals and based on my own interests and knowledge narrowed it down to these four:

Politics
Economics
Maths
Environmental Science

Needing three I decided not to do enviro science as I did not feel very relevant for my own future choices and probably not highly regarded by unis.

I ordered a few of the books second hand of ebay/amazon for very cheap prices. After couple of months I had not made a lot of progress so I reduced my hours to part time in November so I could give myself every chance of success.

I was making some good headway and by Jan I was looking for exams to book, this was not as easy I'd hoped. Some people had success with local colleges however everyone I tried could not help me.

Through extensive searching and a few phone calls I found a place in Coventry who could do it for £75 an exam so £900 in total and I booked it with them. Quite disappointing considering some people on here have managed £30 an exam.

These days there are excellent resources online, videos made by teachers on youtube and all the available past papers meant I was confident I did not need any extra help.

In the run up to the exams I was putting in a lot more hours, probably 25 a week compared to previously about 10-12 (not inc time spent reading pop economics and politics books which I do anyway)

The exams came and went pretty fast the place in cov (tutorandexams) was very good and I recommend them for anyone in the area.

I got my results through of BCB which I'm happy with, could I have done better with tutor help? maybe but I'm not sure it's worth the extra £1200 it would have cost through these websites.

It's a shame edexcel don't let UK students take their international a level exams as this could make life a lot easier. Cambridge do though they are not so open with their past papers and grade boundaries.
My hats off to you sir. Well done. I, for one can't imagine myself doing A Levels without any tuition or guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HayThereMardyBum
My hats off to you sir. Well done. I, for one can't imagine myself doing A Levels without any tuition or guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many thanks, It's not so much the tutor and guidance I would've liked to have but more the social and competitive interaction you get from a classroom.

Books like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Economics-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/144414782X
Give really detailed breakdown of where the marks were achieved for example answers.
To help with the social side of things I followed some teachers who tweet about the subject and had some good interactions with them.
Reply 3
Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations! That's no mean feat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending