The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Help with enrolment + international students orientation

Hi guys!

I am currently trying to decide what courses to take for next year but I'm kind of stuck. I will be studying zoology and I am unsure even about the compulsory courses. I know I need to take Biology 1A and 1B but I don't know if I have to take Chemistry 1 or Science Fundamentals. The enrolment page says "If you have Higher Chemistry (at a minimum of grade B) or A-Level Chemistry (at a minimum of grade C) or equivalent, you must take the Chemistry 1 course; if not, choose the Science Fundamentals courses instead as you will not be qualified to take Chemistry 1." However, I did the IB and I'm not sure how the IB grades would translate.. I had higher level chemistry and got a grade 5, does anyone know if I have to take chemistry or science fundamentals? Also I'd like some advice on what optional courses to take and I emailed my advisor but she's on holiday until the 9th... How soon do people complete enrolment? Should I just wait until my advisor is available and continue then or try to contact someone else? If so then who? I'm scared all the courses will fill up if I wait.

I'm an international student and I just recently found out about the international students orientation. It starts on the 7th but I'll only be arriving on the 9th so I think I will miss it. Or is it possible to just come for some events or do you have to be there on the 7th? Do people usually go there anyway/are you planning on going if you are an international student?

(edited 8 years ago)
Try and phone someone in the life sciences department for a quicker answer if you can, I had a bit of a similar situation with chemistry and ended up taking it when I probably shouldn't have - if you don't have a strong chemistry background it is quite a demanding course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Ok thanks! I just went with science fundamentals... apparently it's possible to switch later on anyway if it turns out I have to take chemistry XD btw do you have any advice on the optional courses? My choices are environmental biology, earth science, archaeology and exploring the cosmos. I would have taken environmental biology but it's only 20 credits so I'd have to take fourth subjects and you are supposed to take 3 on first year right? Exploring the cosmos and archaeology sound interesting but I don't think they would be that relevant to my degree and earth science 1x sounds boring to me :/ Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by CozyCat
Ok thanks! I just went with science fundamentals... apparently it's possible to switch later on anyway if it turns out I have to take chemistry XD btw do you have any advice on the optional courses? My choices are environmental biology, earth science, archaeology and exploring the cosmos. I would have taken environmental biology but it's only 20 credits so I'd have to take fourth subjects and you are supposed to take 3 on first year right? Exploring the cosmos and archaeology sound interesting but I don't think they would be that relevant to my degree and earth science 1x sounds boring to me :/ Any help would be appreciated!

I done Earth Sci, Arch and Excos last year, Excos is fairly simple, but it's also 5 lectures a week, and does become very boring. Arch is good, but you may not enjoy the Archaeology of Scotland part. Earth Sci is my degree, my friend studying Sociology done earth sci as a 3rd subject and loved it, and as a fan I would highly recommend it, but its not easy.

To get into year 2, you have to complete a min of 120 credits, if a course takes you up to 140, you can still do it if you can fit it in, better than doing a course that takes you up to 120 but bores you to tears in my opinion. This year I'm doing Earth Sci for 60 credits at level 2, Arch 40 at level 2 and Portuguese at level one for 40. If I drop the language I would have to squeeze in something for 10 credits a semester, and the only thing I can see is Computing science, which sounds crap.

You are spot on on your assumption though that you can change your mind even after he semester starts, so you don't need to worry about anything.
Reply 4
Original post by Gillybop
I done Earth Sci, Arch and Excos last year, Excos is fairly simple, but it's also 5 lectures a week, and does become very boring. Arch is good, but you may not enjoy the Archaeology of Scotland part. Earth Sci is my degree, my friend studying Sociology done earth sci as a 3rd subject and loved it, and as a fan I would highly recommend it, but its not easy.

To get into year 2, you have to complete a min of 120 credits, if a course takes you up to 140, you can still do it if you can fit it in, better than doing a course that takes you up to 120 but bores you to tears in my opinion. This year I'm doing Earth Sci for 60 credits at level 2, Arch 40 at level 2 and Portuguese at level one for 40. If I drop the language I would have to squeeze in something for 10 credits a semester, and the only thing I can see is Computing science, which sounds crap.

You are spot on on your assumption though that you can change your mind even after he semester starts, so you don't need to worry about anything.

Thanks for the advice! But would it be possible for me to take for example the environmental bio 1x and then the first course of eg. Excos so it would add up to 40 credits? And so from what I've gathered it seems like the 3rd subject in the first year doesn't really matter in terms of your future studies, like it doesn't have to be relevant to your degree?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CozyCat
Thanks for the advice! But would it be possible for me to take for example the environmental bio 1x and then the first course of eg. Excos so it would add up to 40 credits? And so from what I've gathered it seems like the 3rd subject in the first year doesn't really matter in terms of your future studies, like it doesn't have to be relevant to your degree?

No it doesn't have to be relative in the slightest, If you are doing a Science degree you need to choose two options from the Science programmes, and one from Arts or Social Sciences, or all three from Science if you like. You can do Bio 1 in semester one then Excos 1Y in semester 2 etc....

You will get a meeting with your advisor of studies when you start, and they will keep you right anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Gillybop
No it doesn't have to be relative in the slightest, If you are doing a Science degree you need to choose two options from the Science programmes, and one from Arts or Social Sciences, or all three from Science if you like. You can do Bio 1 in semester one then Excos 1Y in semester 2 etc....

You will get a meeting with your advisor of studies when you start, and they will keep you right anyway.

Great, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending