The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Only 9 days until I begin my PGCE! It is all coming around so quickly. I keep thinking there is something else I need to do or something! I am feeling a bit guilty though because I have just given up the pre-course reading as I think I have done enough and want to enjoy my last week :smile: Anyone else feeling the same way?
Original post by katie543
Only 9 days until I begin my PGCE! It is all coming around so quickly. I keep thinking there is something else I need to do or something! I am feeling a bit guilty though because I have just given up the pre-course reading as I think I have done enough and want to enjoy my last week :smile: Anyone else feeling the same way?

Yes! 15 days for me. I'm trying to balance doing pre course stuff with spending time with my daughter before the course starts. I feel guilty every time in doing something other than reading, but to be honest I think my brain has shut down now. I'm very nervous but at the same time I wish time would speed up as I think the anticipation is always worse than the reality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katie543

I only got a reading list a couple of days ago. I did try to do a bit of reading around the web, but with 4 kids on school holidays I haven't really had much chance. I'm now panicking that everyone else will be so much more prepared than I am.
Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.. I've been reading this thread from start to finish over the last few months and it's been amazing to see so many of you overcome many different obstacles that have arisen throughout the course. The wisdom this thread facilitates feels invaluable, even as an outsider! I'm starting Secondary English PGCE in September and am two parts excited, one part nervous- I just wanted to say hello and thank you all for the insight.

Also I went on a stationary spree on Amazon and am now in posession of a guillotine and laminator i'll probably never use so if anyone is doing their ITT at Sunderland you can borrow mine!
Original post by clorsmith
Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.. I've been reading this thread from start to finish over the last few months and it's been amazing to see so many of you overcome many different obstacles that have arisen throughout the course. The wisdom this thread facilitates feels invaluable, even as an outsider! I'm starting Secondary English PGCE in September and am two parts excited, one part nervous- I just wanted to say hello and thank you all for the insight.

Also I went on a stationary spree on Amazon and am now in posession of a guillotine and laminator i'll probably never use so if anyone is doing their ITT at Sunderland you can borrow mine!

Welcome! Please feel free to ask any questions about English!
Apprehensive and excited to start my Secondary History PGCE in 15 days!!! Been trying to wise up on my subject knowledge looking more at breadth then depth at the moment. Still got loads to do in these two weeks, all this pre-course work to do and buying all me equipment. ahhhhhhh
Hey all, I'm starting my PGDE primary course soon and was wondering would anyone have any tips for the maths audit on what to revise? Is it extremely difficult as in is it primary related or more GCSE?

Thanks in advance
Original post by laura.a.c265
Yes! 15 days for me. I'm trying to balance doing pre course stuff with spending time with my daughter before the course starts. I feel guilty every time in doing something other than reading, but to be honest I think my brain has shut down now. I'm very nervous but at the same time I wish time would speed up as I think the anticipation is always worse than the reality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I agree, anticipation always makes things worse! My brain has had enough now but I am trying to not feel guilty because, hey, I start next week!
Original post by redmel1621
I only got a reading list a couple of days ago. I did try to do a bit of reading around the web, but with 4 kids on school holidays I haven't really had much chance. I'm now panicking that everyone else will be so much more prepared than I am.

No don't worry about it. There will be someone with no children who hasn't bothered to do the reading! Plus, the tutors should really know that no one a week or so before a PGCE begins is going to start the reading then!
Original post by whatslew
Apprehensive and excited to start my Secondary History PGCE in 15 days!!! Been trying to wise up on my subject knowledge looking more at breadth then depth at the moment. Still got loads to do in these two weeks, all this pre-course work to do and buying all me equipment. ahhhhhhh

Hahhhh, having just done the PGCE, don't worry about subject knowledge atm! Wait until you find out what your school will actually be teaching.
Original post by whatslew

Don't worry about subject knowledge. Catch up as you go and know what you're teaching. Until you know how to teach it, there isn't too much point learning it.

Take it slowly and don't freak out yet. You'll be fine. Buying the equipment is the best part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really wouldn't stress about all the pre-course reading: it really isn't worth worrying over! :smile: I never did any of it and it didn't have any impact on me at all - I left both of my placements as excellent and had distinctions on all but one essay (which I had a merit for). If you'd rather spend time with family and friends or relaxing then I would do that as the PGCE does suck your time away! :smile:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Don't worry about subject knowledge. Catch up as you go and know what you're teaching. Until you know how to teach it, there isn't too much point learning it.

Take it slowly and don't freak out yet. You'll be fine. Buying the equipment is the best part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure this has been covered, but what equipment do we need? I have only bought a pack of pens and an A4 pad so far :redface:
Hey, I (and no doubt many others also) know what you're going through .... I have 4 kids as well and what seemed like a long time to prepare at the start of the hols, the time seems to have vanished! I'm starting a salaried schools direct position and will be teaching classes in two weeks! I've read some but not enough ... But does it ever feel like it is enough ...... It's a vast subject area. So don't panic, just do want you can and prioritise as best you can .... As the old saying goes ...."it'll all come out in the wash"! Hopefully! All the best.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redmel1621
I'm sure this has been covered, but what equipment do we need? I have only bought a pack of pens and an A4 pad so far :redface:

Folders as well I'd say. Then again, I haven't bought anything yet, being a bit of a last minute Larry 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've finally heard back from uni about my enrolment day, i thought maybe i would have induction into library and some course stuff but sadly not. I just have to be there for an hour and i will be doing near on 4 hours travelling to get there and back which is a bit of a pain. I do hope i will get my student ID and that it will be valid on that day so i can go into london and do a bit of shopping :smile:

I just want to get started now, the 16th feels way too far away!
Original post by sans-peur
I've finally heard back from uni about my enrolment day, i thought maybe i would have induction into library and some course stuff but sadly not. I just have to be there for an hour and i will be doing near on 4 hours travelling to get there and back which is a bit of a pain. I do hope i will get my student ID and that it will be valid on that day so i can go into london and do a bit of shopping :smile:

I just want to get started now, the 16th feels way too far away!

16th is pretty late to start. I started on like the 4th or something. Yeah, if you are commuting that far to uni then prepare to get annoyed frequently. We had a few people who commuted far and there was constant events on that they had to come to, only to get told when we got there that it was directed study. I felt their pain!
I don't start until the 21st! I feel like I start so much later than everyone else. The wait is agonising!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
16th is pretty late to start. I started on like the 4th or something. Yeah, if you are commuting that far to uni then prepare to get annoyed frequently. We had a few people who commuted far and there was constant events on that they had to come to, only to get told when we got there that it was directed study. I felt their pain!

I'm only going to be at uni one day a week and possibly not every week it seems so commuting isnt going to be too much of a pain in the long run. i'm not doing a PGCE so a bit different to most other people on this board.

Just want to get started now on the course
Reply 7259
All starts for me tomorrow........INSET day followed by first classes on Thursday. (Non salaried schools direct). But, hey....how hard can it be???. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending