The Student Room Group

I don't want to be a doctor!

My parents are super strict and they basically say i can only be a doctor/pharmacist.
My dad is a construction person and my mum doesn't work and i understand they want me to have a good career.

I'm interested in maths and physics and want to do engineering but my dad says it's what men do and i wont get married if i have a mans job.

I have to choose chemistry, biology,maths and English literature because my dad really doesn't want me to take physics so i can't do engineering.

My GCSE's were good so i can't just lie and say i wont get into medicine. They've made me do volunteer work already and everything but i'm interested in engineering. like i wouldn't mind doing it guess but i would prefer engineering WAY more.

Don't tell me to just do it because you don't understand my parents, i have no choice. They controlled all my GCSE's too and told me what i should take. Should i tell my school to talk to my parents like my dad is so stubborn.

But even if he comes around i know he will be miserable with me, is it easier to just to medicine then i don't mind it really?
anyone else in my position???

Scroll to see replies

You can do engineering without physics

And screw your dad

Posted from TSR Mobile
if it's any consolation you could easily get into chemical engineering with those subjects and good grades (if engineering is your desired career path, it's very much a decent career for both men and women)

if all else fails and you have your heart set on taking physics but can't bring yourself to tell your parents - lie.
sub in physics for the least favourite of the others lmao
say you're applying to medicine and apply to engineering
not much they can do when you've left and earning more than them
Reply 3
Why would your parents tell you to do English Literature, instead of Physics if they wanted you to do medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You won't get married if you have a man's job?
If engineering is a overall male profession, then have men surrounding you, they'll be lining up to go out with you, surely?!

Your parents logic fails me...
For engineering you only really need maths. By the time you get to applying at a Uni, you'll be 18 (or 19) and they CAN'T control you. You can even move out! And yes, tell your teachers at school your situation and surely they will help. No respectable man will mind you doing a 'man's job' (it isn't a man's job anyway).

He may be miserable and disapprove but he'll get over it? He can't just disown you forever.
Make sure also that you aren't just kidding yourself; that your heart is really set on engineering.
By the way, are you a South Asian? (please don't be offended, I am Pakistani)
Explain to them that you won't get a place as the interviewers will be able to pick up your lukewarm feelings about it when there are students falling over themselves to study it
Wait so that means if I had the A levels maths, biology, chemistry and spanish or computer science I could do biomedical engineering??
We need women to do physics
We need women to do engineering
I know several women engineers who are doing very well
Your parents are being ridiculous - it should be possible to apply for engineering without physics. Apply for what you want (even if it means not telling them) and then make sure you move out for uni.

Don't try and do medicine if your heart isn't in it. You'll end up hating your life.
Original post by gogogirl
My parents are super strict and they basically say i can only be a doctor/pharmacist.
My dad is a construction person and my mum doesn't work and i understand they want me to have a good career.

I'm interested in maths and physics and want to do engineering but my dad says it's what men do and i wont get married if i have a mans job.

I have to choose chemistry, biology,maths and English literature because my dad really doesn't want me to take physics so i can't do engineering.

My GCSE's were good so i can't just lie and say i wont get into medicine. They've made me do volunteer work already and everything but i'm interested in engineering. like i wouldn't mind doing it guess but i would prefer engineering WAY more.

Don't tell me to just do it because you don't understand my parents, i have no choice. They controlled all my GCSE's too and told me what i should take. Should i tell my school to talk to my parents like my dad is so stubborn.

But even if he comes around i know he will be miserable with me, is it easier to just to medicine then i don't mind it really?

No, if you want to do what you want to do then you have to stand up for yourself. You should listen to what your parents say but they don't control you, you should be old enough to choose your own path in life. Tell the school what you want to do, and seriously tell your parents what you want to do (don't let them speak for you). If they still don't listen, get the school to speak to them but you should really stand up for yourself.

And if your parents have to make decisions for you I'm not exactly sure if you would be an ideal medicine candidate anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by TeachChemistry
We need women to do physics
We need women to do engineering
I know several women engineers who are doing very well

Why? Women now have all the opportunities they wanted, this lack of female representation in these fields just goes to show that a lot of women do not want these types of jobs.
Plus the people who go into these fields should be the best at it, regardless of gender.
Original post by saeed97
Why? Women now have all the opportunities they wanted, this lack of female representation in these fields just goes to show that a lot of women do not want these types of jobs.
Plus the people who go into these fields should be the best at it, regardless of gender.

But girls at school are often put off by physics as it is a 'boys subject' and they should not be.
Reply 13
Original post by TeachChemistry
But girls at school are often put off by physics as it is a 'boys subject' and they should not be.

Lol wut? In my as physics class there was an equal number of both boys and girls, sadly in A2 only me and one other guy didnt get a U and carried on, the rest dropped it. Kinda strange to have only 2 guys doing A2 physics while there were about 150+ of us.
Original post by saeed97
Lol wut? In my as physics class there was an equal number of both boys and girls, sadly in A2 only me and one other guy didnt get a U and carried on, the rest dropped it. Kinda strange to have only 2 guys doing A2 physics while there were about 150+ of us.

http://www.iopscotland.org/news/12/page_59164.html
http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/physicsstop/2012/10/physics-is-different-for-girls.shtml

Perhaps the iop are wasting their time then?
Reply 15

I dont really get your point, the opportunities available are the same for both genders, a lack of female representation is down to the females them selves and not anyone else fault.
Wow, your dad sounds incredibly sexist you poor thing!
Do what I did- tell them it's your life and not theirs, that you are going to do what will make you happy and that engineering is a well paid job anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
f them, on enrolment day change a subject to physics, you're an autonomous being they can't physically control your life anymore, if they are abusive you should get some help from teachers, even social services if it gets bad.
Just talk to them like an adult and explain your passion for engineering, if they can't take your feelings into account and respect your OWN decisions they don't deserve your respect.
Need to ask as well, are you Asian?
Sounds like a typical thing I have heard Asian parents say (no offense to Asians).
Reply 19
Original post by gogogirl

Omg same case here. I just finished my A level and I am now holding a place for pharmacy at QUB. My grades are not good enough for medicine but my dad asks me to apply to the private unis. I do enjoy the work experience in surgery and pharmacy. I want to do hotel managememt instead but my family won't support me financially.
Good luck. Do what you really want. You are a human and you should be able to plan your own future.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending