The Student Room Group

dumbell workouts

So,I got dumbells.I'm doing curls (5kg on each hand).How long till I get muscular arms?Is it enuf or do I need to add more weight?I never used dumbells before.I'm also doing situps,pushups and squats.I got started on protein shakes as well.please dont be mean to me.I'm just a beginner.I'm wondering if its possible without going to the gym.Also,dont want the money I spent on protein supplements to got to waste.For all I know,My bod-build will be the same by the time I've finished my .2.25 kilos of protein.

Scroll to see replies

You have it all wrong :smile: To answer your questions; you won't get muscular arms doing just curls and especially not with 5kg, you won't build much muscle at all doing those 4 exercises, and protein shakes aren't magic. Let me know your stats and goals and I'll try to put you in the right direction.
Reply 2
Original post by BenCampbell
You have it all wrong :smile: To answer your questions; you won't get muscular arms doing just curls and especially not with 5kg, you won't build much muscle at all doing those 4 exercises, and protein shakes aren't magic. Let me know your stats and goals and I'll try to put you in the right direction.

I weigh 65kilos.Skinny.Got a little tummy(would like to get rid of).Basically,want to improve my upper body more so my arms.I actually built my arms up a bit by mostly doing home exercises(like pushups,situps).But,that took like 6 months.So,I thought adding dumbells would help?Currently,my diets mostly protein and some carbs.
Reply 3

Also,I did curls yesterday for the first time.And,the usual way was honestly too easy(like pull up dumbell horizontal and goes down vertical).But,I tried in both cases horizonally(pull up horizontal,goes down horizontal),which was harder and today my arms are a bit strained.So,I was wondering whelther the latter method would be better or not.Or am I actially just harming my arms by doing this lol.:tongue:
Original post by economist2
I weigh 65kilos.Skinny.Got a little tummy(would like to get rid of).Basically,want to improve my upper body more so my arms.I actually built my arms up a bit by mostly doing home exercises(like pushups,situps).But,that took like 6 months.So,I thought adding dumbells would help?Currently,my diets mostly protein and some carbs.

Listen to my advice and you will build muscle and strength. Don't listen to my advice, stick to your little body weight exercises and dumbbells, and stay skinny and weak. You choose.

# You need to go to a gym that has basic lifting equipment. That means a power rack, a bench, and barbells. You can find cheap gyms that have this equipment.
# You need to lift heavy weights and get stronger to build muscle. I don't care if you see a bodybuilder on the internet using light weights and trying to get a 'pump'. This won't work for you.
# Use basic barbell exercises that involve multiple joints. Start with the basic high bar back squat, the flat bench press, the bent over row, the standing overhead press, the conventional deadlift, and some chinups (chinups aren't using a barbell but still do them). Your arms will grow from this, with no need for curls, remember what I said at the start...
# Do these exercises often, 2-3 times a week is best. Don't over do the volume 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps is plenty. You need to get as strong as you can in this range. Try to add weight to the bar every time you are in the gym.
# You need to eat a lot of food. Don't worry about getting fat, if you don't eat pizza every day you won't. You are probably over eating protein, most people do. You don't need more than 150g at your weight. That being said, don't worry about tracking macros, it isn't needed. Just make sure you eat balanced meals and get lots of calories.

If you have any questions or don't understand anything please ask :smile:
Reply 5
Listen to my advice and you will build muscle and strength. Don't listen to my advice, stick to your little body weight exercises and dumbbells, and stay skinny and weak. You choose.

# You need to go to a gym that has basic lifting equipment. That means a power rack, a bench, and barbells. You can find cheap gyms that have this equipment.
# You need to lift heavy weights and get stronger to build muscle. I don't care if you see a bodybuilder on the internet using light weights and trying to get a 'pump'. This won't work for you.
# Use basic barbell exercises that involve multiple joints. Start with the basic high bar back squat, the flat bench press, the bent over row, the standing overhead press, the conventional deadlift, and some chinups (chinups aren't using a barbell but still do them). Your arms will grow from this, with no need for curls, remember what I said at the start...
# Do these exercises often, 2-3 times a week is best. Don't over do the volume 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps is plenty. You need to get as strong as you can in this range. Try to add weight to the bar every time you are in the gym.
# You need to eat a lot of food. Don't worry about getting fat, if you don't eat pizza every day you won't. You are probably over eating protein, most people do. You don't need more than 150g at your weight. That being said, don't worry about tracking macros, it isn't needed. Just make sure you eat balanced meals and get lots of calories.

If you have any questions or don't understand anything please ask :smile:

Could you have a look at my second query?And,Gym is something I'd like to avoid being a student and working part time as well.Maybe you could suggest a better home workout possibility?
Could you have a look at my second query?And,Gym is something I'd like to avoid being a student and working part time as well.Maybe you could suggest a better home workout possibility?

You don't need to spend more than an hour, 2 days a week, in the gym to make good progress. You aren't going to get the results you want playing around with light dumbbells at home.
Reply 7
You don't need to spend more than an hour, 2 days a week, in the gym to make good progress. You aren't going to get the results you want playing around with light dumbbells at home.

An hour,two days a week is enough,you're saying.And,how long will it take to see results?
An hour,two days a week is enough,you're saying.And,how long will it take to see results?

It depends how hard you train, how much food you eat, how much sleep you get etc.
Reply 9
It depends how hard you train, how much food you eat, how much sleep you get etc.

how much sleep would i need per day?And,I'm open to higher weight dumbell training(10,20kilos per hand) if it helps...
Dude join the gym and do compound excercises
how much sleep would i need per day?And,I'm open to higher weight dumbell training(10,20kilos per hand) if it helps...

8 hours sleep is enough. You seem to be obsessed with dumbbells...

Have you ever used dumbells?I cant deadlift at home so,yeah
Squats - 4x6
Bench Press - 4x6
Deadlifts - 2x6
Overhead Press - 4x6
Chin Ups - 4x6

Do something simple like this, 2 days a week, maybe on monday and thursday, and I promise you if you stick to it for a few months, progress in weight, eat and sleep enough, and follow all of the other advice previously given in this thread you will make gains. Forget all of the light dumbbell crap.
BenCampbell coming with the knowledge!
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
BenCampbell coming with the knowledge!

:smile:
Few things need clearing up here. Firstly, 5kg dumbbells aint gonna do anything, unless you're currently so weak that you can only just squeeze out about 10 reps with them, and even if so you'll outgrow them mega quickly. If you're training biceps you need to train biceps too.

Secondly, I think you're expecting results way too quickly. You will indeed make significant gains in your first 6 months IF you do everything right, but if you're having protein shakes daily then you're not gonna be big by the time you finish a medium sized tub. Far from.

Lastly, PLEASE don't take the "eat all you can" approach as recommended above. When you're new especially, you'll either a) underestimate how much you're eating as many do, or b) unnecessarily get fat - you can only gain so much muscle per month, adding a bunch of fat in the process won't force any more growth. In your first year you only need a very small caloric surplus, or even eat at maintenance, to grow. My arms grew several inches without me gaining any fat in my first 6 months because I kept the calories sensible. ALWAYS count calories so you know you're eating enough/not too much - if you start getting noticeably fatter then you're overdoing it on the kcals, if the scales aren't going up as the weeks goby then add in a few hundred more calories. At your weight, maybe start at 2500 calories per day (I was pretty much the same weight as you when I started and 2500 to start with worked well for me) and get about 100-150g of protein per day. Doesn't matter where the rest of your calories come from in terms of results, IME.

Using a dumbbell only routine is absolutely fine if you get an adjustable set with more weights, but I'd also get a pullup bar and a foldable bench that you can tuck away whennot on use, a bob basic one for starters will cost you about 30 quid from Argos.I made significant progress starting on a dumbbell only routine with a bench and pullup bar too, full body workout 2-3x per week.
Squats - 4x6
Bench Press - 4x6
Deadlifts - 2x6
Overhead Press - 4x6
Chin Ups - 4x6

Do something simple like this, 2 days a week, maybe on monday and thursday, and I promise you if you stick to it for a few months, progress in weight, eat and sleep enough, and follow all of the other advice previously given in this thread you will make gains. Forget all of the light dumbbell crap.

ok sounds good.what about weights?and should I alter the sets and weights for my benefit?Like,people say 'thats not enough weight' and then they say 'dont overdo it'..a little confused ther.I'm the type to overdo it but I dunno if thats a good idea...
ok sounds good.what about weights?and should I alter the sets and weights for my benefit?Like,people say 'thats not enough weight' and then they say 'dont overdo it'..a little confused ther.I'm the type to overdo it but I dunno if thats a good idea...

You need to start light so you can adapt to the program and learn correct form. Add weight when you can do all sets and reps. Do some research on progressive overload and basic linear progression.

Also, I just found this video, it's worth a watch.
[video="youtube;h5wHFpvwO6o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5wHFpvwO6o[/video]
Original post by WoodyMKC
Few things need clearing up here. Firstly, 5kg dumbbells aint gonna do anything, unless you're currently so weak that you can only just squeeze out about 10 reps with them, and even if so you'll outgrow them mega quickly. If you're training biceps you need to train biceps too.

Secondly, I think you're expecting results way too quickly. You will indeed make significant gains in your first 6 months IF you do everything right, but if you're having protein shakes daily then you're not gonna be big by the time you finish a medium sized tub. Far from.

Lastly, PLEASE don't take the "eat all you can" approach as recommended above. When you're new especially, you'll either a) underestimate how much you're eating as many do, or b) unnecessarily get fat - you can only gain so much muscle per month, adding a bunch of fat in the process won't force any more growth. In your first year you only need a very small caloric surplus, or even eat at maintenance, to grow. My arms grew several inches without me gaining any fat in my first 6 months because I kept the calories sensible. ALWAYS count calories so you know you're eating enough/not too much - if you start getting noticeably fatter then you're overdoing it on the kcals, if the scales aren't going up as the weeks goby then add in a few hundred more calories. At your weight, maybe start at 2500 calories per day (I was pretty much the same weight as you when I started and 2500 to start with worked well for me) and get about 100-150g of protein per day. Doesn't matter where the rest of your calories come from in terms of results, IME.

Using a dumbbell only routine is absolutely fine if you get an adjustable set with more weights, but I'd also get a pullup bar and a foldable bench that you can tuck away whennot on use, a bob basic one for starters will cost you about 30 quid from Argos.I made significant progress starting on a dumbbell only routine with a bench and pullup bar too, full body workout 2-3x per week.

Oh what weight would you suggest for dumbells?The max I have right now is 30kilos,as in 15kg per hand.If thats not enough,I'll just have to join the gym.I'll probably join the gym anyways cos thats what everyone does.but I'm hoping the money I spent on these dumbells wont go to waste.Plus the takin up a lot of space.

Quick Reply

Latest