The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for Cambridge?

So I've just received my GCSE results. I really have my heart set on going to Cambridge, but have just made the decision in the last few weeks that I'd like to try for a place. The degree course I'd be interested in studying are either Maths or Economics. The A-levels I'll be taking from September are: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography. Could I realistically try for a place? And, will the fact that I come from a deprived area and under performing state school be taken into regard? Only one girl has previously been successful at applying to Oxford to study geography! Would it be worth me doing retakes in 2 or 3 subjects at GCSE? Please help, it'd be very much appreciated!!! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE.

there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.however saying this, Cambridge is very prestigious and will have a lot of applicants having lots of A*'s... so its not impossible for you to get in but you will have lots of competition and you will have to get top grades at A-level.
Reply 2
Original post by smartguy32

there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.however saying this, Cambridge is very prestigious and will have a lot of applicants having lots of A*'s... so its not impossible for you to get in but you will have lots of competition and you will have to get top grades at A-level.

Why not reference your source properly instead of presenting it as your own.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts
Original post by jneill
Why not reference your source properly instead of presenting it as your own.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

i thought i would save aish98xo time by finding all the information needed instead of having to read through it all but yeah i forgot to put the link in... haha thanks for posting it for me :smile: my bad
Reply 4
Original post by smartguy32

Thank you for posting the official Cambridge advice. However, in your opinion do you think an application for Maths or Economics would be worth a try? Or am I just entirely not good enough for Cambridge?
Reply 5
Original post by aish98xo
Thank you for posting the official Cambridge advice. However, in your opinion do you think an application for Maths or Economics would be worth a try? Or am I just entirely not good enough for Cambridge?

You are good enough for Cambridge if you do very well in your A-levels (and for Maths you still have the ASs).
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
You are good enough for Cambridge if you do very well in your A-levels (and for Maths you still have the ASs).

Thank you for the reassurance! I know that my A-level grades have to be absolutely excellent, to be in with a chance. I'd be so appreciative of anymore help or advice you could give about applying, how to achieve the grades, extracurriculars and all that sort of stuff. A massive thank you though for telling me I'm good enough!!! :smile: very few have faith in me or encourage me!!!
Reply 7
Original post by aish98xo
Thank you for the reassurance! I know that my A-level grades have to be absolutely excellent, to be in with a chance. I'd be so appreciative of anymore help or advice you could give about applying, how to achieve the grades, extracurriculars and all that sort of stuff. A massive thank you though for telling me I'm good enough!!! :smile: very few have faith in me or encourage me!!!

I recommend you join the 2017 hopefully thread - everyone is in the same situation and despite, in theory, being in competition with each other, are all very supportive! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
I recommend you join the 2017 hopefully thread - everyone is in the same situation and despite, in theory, being in competition with each other, are all very supportive! :smile:

I already have, but no one will reply to me. Thank you for all your help and support though. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending