The Student Room Group

Leicester geologists 2015

Hey :smile:
Just interested to see if there's anyone on here coming to Leicester to study geology this October?
I'm going into 3rd year so I'm just scouting around, but if you have any questions let me know :biggrin:
Original post by rosiesaurus
Just interested to see if there's anyone on here coming to Leicester to study geology this October?
I'm going into 3rd year so I'm just scouting around, but if you have any questions let me know :biggrin:

Hey, i'm not coming the Leicester at all or studying geology! but i am thinking of picking a few geology modules (i have some option modules) for my first year and i have never done any geology before, would you say it would be possible for me to do well, without doing the A level? BTW i'm studying chemistry. :biggrin:
Reply 2

Hi, I'm from leicester and im 16, I'm starting my a-levels in September and I'm really interested in geology, I know I'm not answering your question sorry, but could you tell me a bit more about what a-levels you chose and what sort of job your looking to get/do with geology or any other knowledge you can share. I'm sorry I couldn't answer your question, Thanks :smile:
Original post by Hayley Williams
Hey, i'm not coming the Leicester at all or studying geology! but i am thinking of picking a few geology modules (i have some option modules) for my first year and i have never done any geology before, would you say it would be possible for me to do well, without doing the A level? BTW i'm studying chemistry. :biggrin:

Hey :smile: That's cool, where are you studying? Yeah, you definitely should be able to do well, they don't usually require previous knowledge for the modules as not many places offer it for A Level. If you want to do some background reading just so you're more confident Id recommend the OCR Geology A level textbook, or geological science by McLeish. They're easy to read and just give some background.
Original post by Cinna21
Hi, I'm from leicester and im 16, I'm starting my a-levels in September and I'm really interested in geology, I know I'm not answering your question sorry, but could you tell me a bit more about what a-levels you chose and what sort of job your looking to get/do with geology or any other knowledge you can share. I'm sorry I couldn't answer your question, Thanks :smile:

Hi :biggrin: I never really started out being interested in geology until I went to a taster session at sixth form and realised it looked pretty good! For A Level I did geology, geography, maths and physics. Geology isn't necessary pre - uni but I found it interesting so I did well in the exams. I've found at uni that although there isn't much maths and what there is isn't too much more advanced than gcse, some people who didn't do maths at A level struggled as itd been so long since they did any. To do geology at Uni you only need two science subjects but if you're interested in them, Id recommend maths, chemistry and geography. Geography for me was interesting and also helped with essay writing!

Job wise I don't really know what I want to do, but I can tell you about some of the options!! There are jobs you can get in hydrology and water, environmental work - ie where to build tips, surveying, engineering geology, minerals mining and exploration, software, teaching, oil and gas exploration - there's quite a lot you can do really! :smile: hope that helped! Any more questions let me know, that probably wasn't very clear!
Hey :smile: That's cool, where are you studying? Yeah, you definitely should be able to do well, they don't usually require previous knowledge for the modules as not many places offer it for A Level. If you want to do some background reading just so you're more confident Id recommend the OCR Geology A level textbook, or geological science by McLeish. They're easy to read and just give some background.

Thanks a lot! I'm going to lancaster uni! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hi :biggrin: I never really started out being interested in geology until I went to a taster session at sixth form and realised it looked pretty good! For A Level I did geology, geography, maths and physics. Geology isn't necessary pre - uni but I found it interesting so I did well in the exams. I've found at uni that although there isn't much maths and what there is isn't too much more advanced than gcse, some people who didn't do maths at A level struggled as itd been so long since they did any. To do geology at Uni you only need two science subjects but if you're interested in them, Id recommend maths, chemistry and geography. Geography for me was interesting and also helped with essay writing!

Job wise I don't really know what I want to do, but I can tell you about some of the options!! There are jobs you can get in hydrology and water, environmental work - ie where to build tips, surveying, engineering geology, minerals mining and exploration, software, teaching, oil and gas exploration - there's quite a lot you can do really! :smile: hope that helped! Any more questions let me know, that probably wasn't very clear!

It was :smile: and Thanks :P
there is a group chat with people doing geology at degree at UoL do you want to join? there is like 26 of us now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending