The Student Room Group

Best combination of A Levels?

Scroll to see replies

I had the same problem when I was starting Sixth Form, which is why my Head of Year told me I'd always be remembered as the girl who wanted to do nine A-Levels!

I know how tricky it is when you want to do so many different subjects, but there are some things to bear in mind.

One of these is that some subjects are (sadly) seen as 'soft' or 'easy options' - if you think you can cope with the work and you're unsure which subjects to choose, you'd probably be better off picking as many facilitating subjects as possible to keep your options open. That doesn't mean you have to completely avoid anything which isn't sciencey or English-y - usually, universities recommend that you don't take more than one or two non-facilitating subjects, so you still have room to pick a less demanding option. :smile:

Another thing to consider is the idea of picking either a range or a complementary group of subjects: for someone intent on studying sciences, it's a good idea to take subjects in this area, but if you're not sure you could go for a mixture to show that you have a range of skills. I studied French, Maths and RS (with Spanish at AS) and found that, even though they were very different, they all complemented each other well. If you know what you want to study at Uni (if Uni is your plan post-college), DEFINITELY browse Uni websites to see which subjects they require you to have studied or prefer you to have. When I had finished my GCSEs, I found a useful booklet online about post-16 subject choice - there might still be one out there if you browse Google!*

Also, the EPQ can be helpful to cover some of the things you lose by dropping a subject you wanted to take - I really wanted to study English Literature and Drama, so focused my EPQ on 'Much Ado About Nothing' by Shakespeare.

Hope this helps :smile:

P.S It took me a couple of weeks after starting Sixth Form to finally make up my mind - I went in on enrolment day with six subjects in mind, and kept changing between Spanish and Drama after I'd already started. A-Level choices are a big decision, so don't worry about being indecisive straight away - it will all work out in the end :wink:

*Found it!
http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by missyconfuzzled
so to get into a russel group uni I should drop business and take English instead?

Provided you think that you would get a good grade in English, then yes, that is what I would advise.
Reply 22
Original post by danniegee
I had the same problem when I was starting Sixth Form, which is why my Head of Year told me I'd always be remembered as the girl who wanted to do nine A-Levels!

I know how tricky it is when you want to do so many different subjects, but there are some things to bear in mind.

One of these is that some subjects are (sadly) seen as 'soft' or 'easy options' - if you think you can cope with the work and you're unsure which subjects to choose, you'd probably be better off picking as many facilitating subjects as possible to keep your options open. That doesn't mean you have to completely avoid anything which isn't sciencey or English-y - usually, universities recommend that you don't take more than one or two non-facilitating subjects, so you still have room to pick a less demanding option. :smile:

Another thing to consider is the idea of picking either a range or a complementary group of subjects: for someone intent on studying sciences, it's a good idea to take subjects in this area, but if you're not sure you could go for a mixture to show that you have a range of skills. I studied French, Maths and RS (with Spanish at AS) and found that, even though they were very different, they all complemented each other well. If you know what you want to study at Uni (if Uni is your plan post-college), DEFINITELY browse Uni websites to see which subjects they require you to have studied or prefer you to have. When I had finished my GCSEs, I found a useful booklet online about post-16 subject choice - there might still be one out there if you browse Google!*

Also, the EPQ can be helpful to cover some of the things you lose by dropping a subject you wanted to take - I really wanted to study English Literature and Drama, so focused my EPQ on 'Much Ado About Nothing' by Shakespeare.

Hope this helps :smile:

P.S It took me a couple of weeks after starting Sixth Form to finally make up my mind - I went in on enrolment day with six subjects in mind, and kept changing between Spanish and Drama after I'd already started. A-Level choices are a big decision, so don't worry about being indecisive straight away - it will all work out in the end :wink:

*Found it!
http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

I've seen that booklet before. It is very useful! I was in a similar position to you. Ive narrowed it down to History/Maths/Phyiscs/English Lit but I'm not sure whether it makes my Physics/Maths valueless because I don't want to do further maths....
Original post by Atomix330
I've seen that booklet before. It is very useful! I was in a similar position to you. Ive narrowed it down to History/Maths/Phyiscs/English Lit but I'm not sure whether it makes my Physics/Maths valueless because I don't want to do further maths....

I was worried about that too! I thought that taking Maths wouldn't look as good if I didn't take Further Maths, but this isn't the case; it's far better to do the traditional 4 subjects at AS then 3 at A2 and get great grades rather than take too many subjects and overstretch yourself. I've managed to get an A* in Maths this year, whereas many of my friends took extra subjects and they've sadly slipped a grade or two and have risked losing their Uni places! Plus, Maths is a great subject on its own - it doesn't look 'no good' without Further Maths and neither does Physics. Before starting my A-Levels, I asked my Maths teacher (who knew how much I loved Maths) whether or not I should take Further Maths, and I was surprised when she said no, but she explained that Further Maths is only really useful if you're likely to study Physics/Chemical Engineering (or something similar) later down the line, so don't worry! I took Maths because I loved it, not because I needed it, and it's perfectly OK (in fact, I reckon it's best) to take a subject just because it interests you! :smile:
Original post by LeFailFish
If you prefer sociology, take sociology, because you tend to get better grades in subjects you enjoy and at the end of the day unis are more fussed about grades. Plus, sociology may not be rated as highly as English lit, but it's still considered a good subject!

Business Studies, however, is considered a very soft subject - perhaps take English lit instead of it?

Thank youu for your input i've decided to drop business now as a lot of people have told me it is "soft" I only considered doing it incase I want to do business management at uni as a back up if I change my mind about Law but I doubt I will change my mind but I don't really enjoy business but I like English but I didn't want to do both sociology and English because of the amount of essay writing but I think ill be capable seeing as I got As in lit and lang so ill do English lit,Sociology,Politics and Geography thanks again:smile::smile::smile: I think i'll enjoy them and get good grades and universities will respect them.
Original post by missyconfuzzled
Thank youu for your input i've decided to drop business now as a lot of people have told me it is "soft" I only considered doing it incase I want to do business management at uni as a back up if I change my mind about Law but I doubt I will change my mind but I don't really enjoy business but I like English but I didn't want to do both sociology and English because of the amount of essay writing but I think ill be capable seeing as I got As in lit and lang so ill do English lit,Sociology,Politics and Geography thanks again:smile::smile::smile: I think i'll enjoy them and get good grades and universities will respect them.

You're very welcome - good luck with your A levels! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest