The Student Room Group

what do I actually need for sixth form?

so this is somewhat similar to the stationary thread however i mean more of a general thing so not just stationary but anything
it may seem like a really silly question but what do i actually need for sixth form?
i'm doing
Maths
Biology
Psychology
Art
and my mum said to go shopping for stuff for sixth form, but i dont actually know what i'm shopping for?
i wont be able to actually go shopping until 27th/28th/29th meaning i'll have about 2-4 days to actually go which isnt helpful if i have no clue what im aiming to buy
is there anything specific which i will need or will help me?
thank you x
Reply 1
Art **** and a good work ethic
Original post by jemma12
so this is somewhat similar to the stationary thread however i mean more of a general thing so not just stationary but anything
it may seem like a really silly question but what do i actually need for sixth form?
i'm doing
Maths
Biology
Psychology
Art
and my mum said to go shopping for stuff for sixth form, but i dont actually know what i'm shopping for?
i wont be able to actually go shopping until 27th/28th/29th meaning i'll have about 2-4 days to actually go which isnt helpful if i have no clue what im aiming to buy
thank you x

Obviously stationary (which i presume you know what to get, since you mentioned the stationary thread).
Well clothes (nice bag) would be a start, apart from that you don't need much. Clothes and stationary, then you are set.
Original post by jemma12
i'm doing
Maths
Biology
Psychology
Art
thank you x

:five: Doing Art and biology 2 :smile:

I havent done it yet but this is what i have for yr12:

Art:
-A3 portfolio: (we get the A2 ones from school to keep prep sheets in), this is so useful as i have a long walk to school and need to transport art pieces and my sketchbook. Also use it for product design. Amazon sell good ones :smile:
-Gluesticks: have a lot bc school dosen't have a very good supply and they are vital for sketchbook and prep sheet work.
-Pens and drawing pencils (self explanatory)
-Coloured pencils
-Ruler
-Sharpener
-Rubber, i don't have a putty rubber but it would be good to get one
-Sketchbook (school ones that you pay for), obviously this is essential
-An apron might be a good idea as sixthform suits are expensive
-That nice thick art paper (my school supplies this but make sure you get some if your school dosen't). If you don't use nice paper your art won't look as good.
-Get some paints if your school dosen't have a great selection (acrylics, watercolours etc)

Best places to get art supplies:
Home and bargains:
The Works (especially excellent and good value)
Amazon
Argos

Biology:
-1 ringbinder to take to school for present work, 1 lever arch folder to keep all work in
-Plastic pollypockets: keeps the pages nice and stops them ripping
-Lined paper pad
-Pens, pencils, ruler etc
-Calculator

:smile: hope this helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jemma12
i'm doing
Maths
Biology
Psychology
Art
thank you x

I would recommend (it's all personal preference really):

4 x lever arch folders
Plastic wallets (if you like them, hole punch if not)
Dividers (make sure they are extra wide if using plastic wallets, unless you want to cut holes in wallets to make your own)
Pad of removable paper (I recommend Oxford campus notebooks but if you're not fussy any refill pad will do, just make sure it rips out nicely!) OR 4 x notepads (again I recommend Oxford Campus, personal preference) + refill pad for assignments
Pens, Black and coloured (I recommend Inkjoy 100s)
Ruler, highlighters, tippex, pencil/sharpener/rubber if you like them
Post its and mini page markers
Pencil case + clear one for exams
Calculator (make sure you get one which can be used in your exams)
Plastic button envelope/s
Planner/diary
Bag (A4)
Laptop sleeve if you have a laptop.

+ art supplies - sorry, no idea on this front
Reply 5
thank you for the replies! any other specificities would be lovely please x
big thanks you coolcavy and kpwxx especially!!

Quick Reply

Latest