The Student Room Group

A-Level syllabus confusion

So, I'm going into year 13 and i'm planning on rectifying some grades I was not happy with. When I was selecting some A-levels I could do I questioned about Biology. Apparently I cannot do A2 biology along with AS in one year because of how the syllabus is changing, upon further questioning I asked why not and the reason I received was that Biology is one of the subjects that are issuing new exams in 2017, I don't understand why that matters to me if i'm going to sit the exams in 2016.

So my question is, is there any way to get around this and do the full A-Level I have a feeling the information given to me is not accurate.

I thank you very much in advanced for any help you may give.

I posted this a while ago and received no replies. I need some guidance ASAP as I need to reply to my college! Cheers!
Original post by RatedR
So, I'm going into year 13 and i'm planning on rectifying some grades I was not happy with. When I was selecting some A-levels I could do I questioned about Biology. Apparently I cannot do A2 biology along with AS in one year because of how the syllabus is changing, upon further questioning I asked why not and the reason I received was that Biology is one of the subjects that are issuing new exams in 2017, I don't understand why that matters to me if i'm going to sit the exams in 2016.

So my question is, is there any way to get around this and do the full A-Level I have a feeling the information given to me is not accurate.

I thank you very much in advanced for any help you may give.

I posted this a while ago and received no replies. I need some guidance ASAP as I need to reply to my college! Cheers!

The syllabus is changing so that if you start A level biology in september 2015, then the first exams are in 2017. Your college won't be able to teach you AS biology basically, that is what they are trying to say, because the new AS student will be taught the new spec and not the old one which you are referring too. :biggrin: What grades did you get at AS and in what subjects, maybe i could suggestion some options?
Reply 2
Original post by Hayley Williams
The syllabus is changing so that if you start A level biology in september 2015, then the first exams are in 2017. Your college won't be able to teach you AS biology basically, that is what they are trying to say, because the new AS student will be taught the new spec and not the old one which you are referring too. :biggrin: What grades did you get at AS and in what subjects, maybe i could suggestion some options?

Well what if i joined in the A2 classes, surely they're sitting the old spec with options to resit AS modules?
Original post by RatedR
Well what if i joined in the A2 classes, surely they're sitting the old spec with options to resit AS modules?

Yes, but you don't have the AS, so you can't do that alongside as the new courses are 2 year linear with no AS exams in 2016, just A2 exams in 2017.
Original post by RatedR

What i'm trying to say is that the college may hold recap/revision sessions nearer to resits for those who did the old spec, but they won't hold classes all year round for it. Maybe they don't feel comfortable allowing you to self teach AS, whilst learning A2. AS knowledge is need for A2. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by bamtutor
Yes, but you don't have the AS, so you can't do that alongside as the new courses are 2 year linear with no AS exams in 2016, just A2 exams in 2017.

I see, my college said I can do AS-Bio only, how can I do the As- exams if there are not any until 2017 (i'm not staying there until 1017 lol)
Reply 6
Original post by Hayley Williams
What i'm trying to say is that the college may hold recap/revision sessions nearer to resits for those who did the old spec, but they won't hold classes all year round for it. Maybe they don't feel comfortable allowing you to self teach AS, whilst learning A2. AS knowledge is need for A2. :biggrin:

Good point, something i'll need to bring up when I see the college next!
Original post by RatedR
I see, my college said I can do AS-Bio only, how can I do the As- exams if there are not any until 2017 (i'm not staying there until 1017 lol)

Some colleges are choosing to deliver the AS in year 1 and there may be an opportunity to sit the exams. If you move on to do the second year A2, then the grades won't count and students will have to do the exams again alongside the A2 exams.
However, this will only work for courses where the AS and A2 can be co-taught and I don't know which of those subjects fall into this category. If your college say that you can sit AS only, that will be fine, bUt you will need to check with them.
Reply 8
Original post by bamtutor
Some colleges are choosing to deliver the AS in year 1 and there may be an opportunity to sit the exams. If you move on to do the second year A2, then the grades won't count and students will have to do the exams again alongside the A2 exams.
However, this will only work for courses where the AS and A2 can be co-taught and I don't know which of those subjects fall into this category. If your college say that you can sit AS only, that will be fine, bUt you will need to check with them.

Alright thanks for the help, i'll try get in touch with them asap

Quick Reply

Latest