The Student Room Group

Homeschooling Chemistry/Biology A level for Medicine

Hi guys,
So as a homeschooled student I would really love to continuo my homeschooled journey all the way to medical school. However I read conflicting accounts of how it is IMPOSSIBLE to homeschool without doing practicals and such. After scouring the forums I read that it is possible to do your practical exams at a local college. The questions is how do you learn your practicals. Tutors. Anyone here homeschooled his way to medicine. Please guys I'am at important crossroads with a few days to decide what to do?
Reply 1
Anyone? Desperate dude here :frown: :frown:
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Hi guys,
So as a homeschooled student I would really love to continuo my homeschooled journey all the way to medical school. However I read conflicting accounts of how it is IMPOSSIBLE to homeschool without doing practicals and such. After scouring the forums I read that it is possible to do your practical exams at a local college. The questions is how do you learn your practicals. Tutors. Anyone here homeschooled his way to medicine. Please guys I'am at important crossroads with a few days to decide what to do?

There has a,ways been very limited support for home schooled students to take A level practicals, few places accept private candidates and they tend to be expensive where they do. New A levels start this year, no one has any experience of them or how/where/if private candidates will be able to complete the new style practical assessments. With a new structure of exams and many examiner resources only available to teachers you would benefit considerably from being in school/college.
Do you plan on being home schooled for your medicine qualifications? Of course not. I recommend you bite the bullet and get into mainstream education for your A levels. You can still use and enhance the self study skills that have served you well so far while developing the practical and collaborative skills that will benefit you in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
There has a,ways been very limited support for home schooled students to take A level practicals, few places accept private candidates and they tend to be expensive where they do. New A levels start this year, no one has any experience of them or how/where/if private candidates will be able to complete the new style practical assessments. With a new structure of exams and many examiner resources only available to teachers you would benefit considerably from being in school/college.
Do you plan on being home schooled for your medicine qualifications? Of course not. I recommend you bite the bullet and get into mainstream education for your A levels. You can still use and enhance the self study skills that have served you well so far while developing the practical and collaborative skills that will benefit you in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely agree with you. The issue here is that by mistake is that due to some unpresedented personal issues we have left registering 6th a tad too late. If the only collage we applied for refuses for any reason I might lose a year of A levels. As a competent and independent student I don;'t want to lose 1 year of opportunity. All in all I do agree with you about applying for school...
Completely agree with you. The issue here is that by mistake is that due to some unpresedented personal issues we have left registering 6th a tad too late. If the only collage we applied for refuses for any reason I might lose a year of A levels. As a competent and independent student I don;'t want to lose 1 year of opportunity. All in all I do agree with you about applying for school...

Good luck, hope you find a place.
Have you looked at the specifications for the new science AS levels?
If you don't manage to secure a place this year, you might be able to just take the AS exam component (to show you have mastered the material) and win a place at a school or college for the 2nd year when the full A level exams will take place. Can't be sure this would work out but it is worth investigating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
A levels for medicine as a home schooled student is possible :smile:

A levels are changing and as such, from September 2015 the "practical" element of the A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Physics will no longer be a part of the qualification, but will now be an additional certificate referred to as a Practical Endorsement. Basically, if you want to complete just the theory side of a science (for UCAS points towards admission for a non science degree) you can, however if you want to study medicine you will NEED to complete the Practical Endorsement.

You are able to complete the theory on your own and take the "Practical Endorsement" workshops at a local college or centre who offers it - LearnOnline offers Practical Endorsement Workshops. You can sit the exams at your local centre and gain your qualification in 2017 for university application.

With the high grades required for Medicine, I would suggest studying with an online/distance provider rather than just "self study" At A level, it is very useful to be able to be able to ask questions and get support for an experienced tutor.

A number of our learners are home schooled who have completed their iGCSEs and do not want to study A levels in a classroom environment and wish to take advantage of the flexibility that "at home study" offers them. Our Science A level courses are just £999, which includes all course material, course text books, dedicated tutor support and attendance at our Practical Endorsement workshops. As a home schooled student, you will be able to speak to our UCAS team to help you with your Uni application too!

I have included some links to our courses below, if there is anything I can do to help, just ask

A level Biology with Practical Endorsement
A level Chemistry with Practical Endorsement
A level Physics with Practical Endorsement

Whatever route you decide to choose, Good Luck for the future and enjoy your studies.

M
Reply 6
Original post by LearnOnline

A levels are changing and as such, from September 2015 the "practical" element of the A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Physics will no longer be a part of the qualification, but will now be an additional certificate referred to as a Practical Endorsement. Basically, if you want to complete just the theory side of a science (for UCAS points towards admission for a non science degree) you can, however if you want to study medicine you will NEED to complete the Practical Endorsement.

You are able to complete the theory on your own and take the "Practical Endorsement" workshops at a local college or centre who offers it - LearnOnline offers Practical Endorsement Workshops. You can sit the exams at your local centre and gain your qualification in 2017 for university application.

With the high grades required for Medicine, I would suggest studying with an online/distance provider rather than just "self study" At A level, it is very useful to be able to be able to ask questions and get support for an experienced tutor.

A number of our learners are home schooled who have completed their iGCSEs and do not want to study A levels in a classroom environment and wish to take advantage of the flexibility that "at home study" offers them. Our Science A level courses are just £999, which includes all course material, course text books, dedicated tutor support and attendance at our Practical Endorsement workshops. As a home schooled student, you will be able to speak to our UCAS team to help you with your Uni application too!

I have included some links to our courses below, if there is anything I can do to help, just ask

Whatever route you decide to choose, Good Luck for the future and enjoy your studies.

M

Thanks so much! A amazingly well written response and really made me feel at ease. Again thx!
Thanks so much! A amazingly well written response and really made me feel at ease. Again thx!

Happy to help :smile:

I deal with a lot of home schooled students every day, so I know where you are coming from!

Good luck with your studies, if there is anything I can help you with, just ask :smile:

Matt
LearnOnline
Coming to this a bit late, but there is a big online community supporting home-educated students through taking qualifications. Just search Home Education Exams Wiki. Most home-educated students in the UK go to sixth form for A-levels, just because it's so expensive to take them as an external candidate. However, there are routes to taking the science practical assessments, eg Pembroke College Online have residential courses, and a few tutorial colleges have classes . You can take CIE International A-levels, which still have a practical exam - these are easier to arrange than the practical endorsement that you'd need for a regular A-level science qualification now. If the OP is still around, it would be nice to hear how you got on!
Original post by LearnOnline

M

Hello, I want to homeschool biology due to personal issues but I want to study geography at university, do I need to do the practical elements? I’ve already done one year at a sixth form
Original post by Ashley195
Hello, I want to homeschool biology due to personal issues but I want to study geography at university, do I need to do the practical elements? I’ve already done one year at a sixth form

Hi Ashley195,

you should check with your preferred uni whether you need the Practical or not, but at NEC we can offer that with our online A level Biology course. Ours follows the Edexcel Salters-Nuffield spec. Is that the one you are doing? Have a look at the course on our website nec.ac.uk .
Are you still working towards 2018 completion as it's probably best that we help you towards 2019?
Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest