The Student Room Group

Does a C in maths GCSE look bad?

I finally got my results today and saw I got 5A*s, 4As and a C in maths. I hope to do medicine. Does this grade drag me down? Is it worth resitting for higher?
Reply 1
I finally got my results today and saw I got 5A*s, 5As a B and a C in maths. I hope to do medicine. Does this grade drag me down? Is it worth resitting for higher?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
no
No
Original post by dayumz
I finally got my results today and saw I got 5A*s, 5As a B and a C in maths. I hope to do medicine. Does this grade drag me down? Is it worth resitting for higher?

Some med schools require B or A in maths. Some do not accept resits.
Check admissions requirements to make sure you only apply to either those that accept a C or that accept resits
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements
Reply 5
Original post by theresheglows
Some med schools require B or A in maths. Some do not accept resits.
Check admissions requirements to make sure you only apply to either those that accept a C or that accept resits
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

They don't care, why do you insist on putting people off like this? They have to do A-Level chemistry and get an A in it, and do maths involving logs and calculus to an A-Level maths standard, why would they care about what he/she got in their GCSE's?
Original post by Depleted
They don't care, why do you insist on putting people off like this? They have to do A-Level chemistry and get an A in it, and do maths involving logs and calculus to an A-Level maths standard, why would they care about what he/she got in their GCSE's?

If the OP only got a C at GCSE, then how is she going to manage to do that? The poster was just being realistic - no need to be rude.
Reply 7
I got a C in maths if you want todo medical then you need chem and in sixth form you need a B on maths todo chem so i was in a hard situation and now have to reconsider my career choice
Reply 8
Yes.

Do you actually know anything about medical admissions?
Did you even look at the tsr medicine wiki page I linked in my post?
They do care. Most unis want some sort of a look at your GCSEs even for other subjects; while many med schools use them to varying extents, all have minimum grades for english, maths and sciences, and some use them heavily in admissions decisions.
I was not trying to put the OP off, I told them the black & white truth which is that for medicine some unis require an A or B in maths as a minimum requirement; I also mentioned that not all of them do and included the link with the GCSE requirements so they could see which ones they could apply to.
As it happens, you actually don't need A-level maths for medicine.
Please stop spreading this sort of misinformation, it is not helpful to the OP.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10

A level maths is not required by any medical school. It would only give an advantage if the applicant was applying to Cambridge afaik

Original post by dayumz
I finally got my results today and saw I got 5A*s, 4As and a C in maths. I hope to do medicine. Does this grade drag me down? Is it worth resitting for higher?

Unfortunately the C in maths will certainly limit the medical schools that you can apply to however, it's certainly still possible to apply to medical schools such as Exeter, Plymouth, Newcastle/Durham, Sheffield, etc. (Double check these btw :tongue: ) Also, as someone above said, resits are sometimes frowned upon so I'd check with the medical schools you intend to apply to what their GCSE resit policy is :smile:
They do care. Most unis want some sort of a look at your GCSEs even for other subjects; while many med schools use them to varying extents, all have minimum grades for english, maths and sciences, and some use them heavily in admissions decisions.
I was not trying to put the OP off, I told them the black & white truth which is that for medicine some unis require an A or B in maths as a minimum requirement; I also mentioned that not all of them do and included the link with the GCSE requirements so they could see which ones they could apply to.

Chem A*
Bio A
Physics A
Maths A
Business studies A
Computing B
English Lang B
English Lit B
Media Studies B

So : 1 A* , 4 A and 4 B

will this be okay for medicine (preferably at a Russel Group Uni) ?

Thank you
No, its considered as a pass.

However, if you want to go into something maths related, then yes but otherwise no.

A C is not a bad grade at all.

I meant the Maths components in the A-Level Chemistry.

They really don't, unless OP's looking at Oxbridge/ICL/Birmingham or equivalent. A GCSE means jack ****, if OP gets AAAA at AS they wont give a damn about what they got in GCSE's.
Reply 14
Original post by money-for-all
Chem A*
Bio A
Physics A
Maths A
Business studies A
Computing B
English Lang B
English Lit B
Media Studies B

Thank you

Medicine's all about applying to your strengths so as long as you do that, and provided you get a good UKCAT, A levels, etc, you'll be fine: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Also, forget the idea of you needing to go to a Russel group uni. When it comes to Medicine, it really doesn't matter where you go and afaik, you're first employer won't know which medical school you attended.

You need to think about which medical schools will want you by applying to your strengths :smile:
Original post by money-for-all
Chem A*
Bio A
Physics A
Maths A
Business studies A
Computing B
English Lang B
English Lit B
Media Studies B

Thank you

Yes, you can definitely apply. The key to getting into medicine is to apply strategically to your strengths. There are med schools that do not look too much at GCSEs such as Barts & Newcastle. Just avoid GCSE heavy unis and those that require A in english, e.g. Birmingham, Cardiff, Oxford, Liverpool, Bristol, KCL.
Here are the GCSE minimum requirements of the different med schools http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

You'll know better where you can apply once you have done AS and UKCAT. Don't worry about RG unis, all med schools are good and when you apply for foundation training the deanery dont see the uni you went to.
I meant the Maths components in the A-Level Chemistry.

They really don't, unless OP's looking at Oxbridge/ICL/Birmingham or equivalent. A GCSE means jack ****, if OP gets AAAA at AS they wont give a damn about what they got in GCSE's.

Since you're insisting in this fallacious belief, you clearly know nothing about applying to medicine or entry requirements for medicine.
Edit: If you applied/got in then well done, but you may not be aware of how GCSEs are used at all med schools, some will be lenient while others will not. If the places you applied to required an A and they accepted you anyway with a B, then they have been lenient, but they also clearly use GCSE results rather than ignoring them entirely.
Edit 2: Was interested to see that you say elsewhere that you're doing golf management at B'ham. Clearly admissions processes would be different, no offence.

While there are some med schools use GCSEs less heavily, they all look at them regardless of AS results - good AS can mitigate for less competitive GCSEs at some med schools but they will not ignore them entirely.
If a med school requires a certain grade at GCSE then any applications with less will simply not be considered, sometimes being filtered out by a computer programme before a human even sees it.
Edit: this is exactly what Nottingham does, and they are unlikely to be alone.

Stop talking daft :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Grade C is the minimum acceptable pass grade, so while it is 'satisfactory', it is not 'good'. You have to remember that in general, Maths and English are considered the two core subjects. For Medicine, Maths is particularly important due to its strong ties to the Sciences (of which Medicine is applied).

Unfortunately a C grade for Maths is unacceptable for medical school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending