The Student Room Group

Thoughts on my set of chosen A-levels?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and IT.

Yes, I know I'm in for two years of hell, yes I know I'll probably regret it, but I'd of like to thought they're a well regarded set of A-levels?

Opinions? I still have time to change. For sure I am 100% taking maths & physics, and I do want to take the other two.
What are you looking to study at uni? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
What are you looking to study at uni? :smile:

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I just know I would like a job where my maths skills will come in handy.
I have done a year of 3 of those, great choice. Be prepared for hard work though.
Reply 4
Certainly very well-regarded overall. I think Computing is more respected than IT but I didn't take either so probably am not the best person to comment on that. I wouldn't say you're in for two years of hell...I did the other three and they were quite nice except maybe Physics.
Original post by iMacJack
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I just know I would like a job where my maths skills will come in handy.

Well they are all strong subjects so you should be fine. The only thing I would mention is that while those subjects would be good for a maths degree, for some degrees unis will sometimes count maths and further maths as one subject rather than two - just something to bear in mind :smile:
Reply 6
Computing is more highly regarded than ICT as it's more challenging. ICT is basically a little more advanced version of GCSE while Computing is a completely different subject. It's challenging and tough but if you have good maths skills and you are a logical thinker you shouldn't have any issues, might take a while (up to a year) for the concept to click with you. Unfortunately my school didn't offer Computing but are starting next year though my brother did it, and he said it was very challenging.
Original post by iMacJack
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and IT.

Yes, I know I'm in for two years of hell, yes I know I'll probably regret it, but I'd of like to thought they're a well regarded set of A-levels?

Opinions? I still have time to change. For sure I am 100% taking maths & physics, and I do want to take the other two.

To be honest, if you are capable of doing it, just do it.

In all seriousness, the subjects are regarded well, however do something you are capable of doing something easier, then you should do that because it would be in your favour (possibly higher grades).

Quick Reply

Latest